Waterproofing the Rubbermaid Action Packer?

Village Idiot
I would like to find some kind of way to waterproof the action packers. I want to put them on my roof rack and they don't look like they could hold up through a heavy rain @ 70 mph.

Any ideas?

rjcj-8

Adventurer
I hate to say this but do a search on here.
There was a guy a couple of years a go that posted up on here what he did. Had all the steps and pics.
If I recall he used some flavor of silicone to create a gasket on the lid that when closed did a pretty good seal.

As long as you do not deform the action packer too much when you ratchet them down they do a decent job.

05nissanXterra

Observer
The best solution I've come up with and still use to date is drill some drain holes in the bottom of the AP and just put whatever your putting in them is a water right container...

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

nely

Adventurer
I added a thin weather strip to the top of mine. I was damn excited to have it waterproof.....

Till i realized theres holes where the red handles clip into the body of the container.

Village Idiot
I added a thin weather strip to the top of mine. I was damn excited to have it waterproof.....

Till i realized theres holes where the red handles clip into the body of the container.

So much for waterproofing then I guess.....

Here is the previous write-up on this from 2008. All the info is there but the pictures are gone.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/11757-Waterproofing-an-Action-Packer

When I did a search, I found that post and the same thing. So not really helpful.

I guess I will just have to not put stuff in there that matters if it gets wet.

I can always put them in a big trash bag and tie the bag in a knot.

drifter_r6

Observer
Can't make the Action Packer waterproof but you can make it more water/dust resistant. You'll still get seepage from the latch/handle holes.

- Buy some 1/2" wide adhesive backed medium density foam. (available at various hardware store chains)
- Use sand paper and rough up the groove on the lid.
- Clean the surface thoroughly.
- Adhere the foam, taking care to make cuts where necessary to round the curves.

IMG_4820.JPG

If you want to go crazy, you can remove the latches. (you'll get the idea once you take the latches apart)

- Silicon this retainer to the body.

IMG_4823.JPG

- Add a thin nylon washer here.

IMG_4827.JPG

This has kept my items fairly dry for 5 yrs through 6 rain storms, and 2 white out conditions. With only a few drops of water making it into the containers. The key is not to ratchet down the Action Packer so tight and end up deforming the lid/container.

Last edited:

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Waterproofing action packers

I have carried my Action Packers in my roof basket on 3 cross country (NYS to Utah/Nevada) trips using closed cell weather stripping on the covers and have had virtually no ingress of water/dust at highway speed in torrential rain storms and DV dust. mjmcdowell

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would probably vote for putting whatever it is into a heavy plastic bag, and outting THAT in the action packer.

But then again, I'm kind of cheap!

What is it your're looking to put there?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Like others, I've had good results from using weather strip.
However, I opted for rubber strip instead of foam.
I didn't silicone the handles or add nylon washers, but that is a great idea.
After years of use in all conditions, I've never had anything but a drip or two trickle inside.
(When mounted on my rack, I've never faced the handle towards the front of the rig.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier