Maintain the sport...what else to replace

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
So after not having a garage to work in for 2 years I am finally moving back into a house on the 15th.....with a garage. My sport has been semi neglected since I bought it and is coming up on being due for a timing belt and spark plugs. I figure I might as well knock out a ton of stuff at once before winter since "Scooby" is my fiance's and my only car (we ride scooters and bikes the vast majority of time so Scoob only gets used for hauling crap, moving, during bad weather, and adventuring) so here's my list of replacement parts/maintenance. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a loooooooooong time as the size/capability/fuel economy and the fact it is paid off strike a great balance for me

Vehicle:
2001 Montero Sport 3.5XS extremely well maintained by previous owner. All scheduled maintenance was pretty much done on time and mostly at the dealer. Has 117k miles on it now.

4 New 265/75r16's (Cooper Discover ATP @132 a piece, sweet!)
Alignment
Full wax, wash, claybar, shampoo, etc.
New fluids in all the diffs
Mitsu fuel filter (original one is on there still)
Mitsu airfilter
NGK iridium spark plugs and wire set
Gates Timing belt kit with both new pulleys, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner
Intake manifold gasket (have to take manifold off to do spark plugs....dumb)
Misc vacuum hoses

Things I'm not sure about:
Valve cover gasket/spark plug gasket set (don't leak now, so do I need to replace these?)
Cam seals (mine currently don't leak and were replaced by mitsu at 60k miles, anyone have an idea on the part number?)
Aftermarket Transmission cooler
Transmission filter, fluid/gasket (fluid looks good still)
Rear window moldings and gaskets.....these are getting cracked so do I try to source them now while mitsu is still around or just leave it be (no current leaks).

shmabs

Explorer
Mitsu

When I got my sport I did a similar "baselining" and can offer some food for thought.

You will never have better access to the valve cover and spark plug tube seals, so I would do them while you are in there. Once you have the intake manifold off, they are very easy to get to, make sure you purchase quality parts here.

If the cam seals were replaced, I wouldn't bother as long as they look good, I find the OEM mitsu parts and seals to be of top quality.

Regarding the trans fluid and filter, if it has never been done now would probably be a good time. Its my hope that mitsu uses a neoprene or similar "solid" gasket on the trans.

My 01 3.5 XS sport had a fairly large sized trans cooler already fitted from the factory, does yours have anything at all? Correct mistu fluid here as well....

My rear window seals were pretty well dry rotted from the vehicle spending most of its life in NM, however they never leaked. I asked my local body guy about it, and his reply was keep a very close eye on them, but is probably best to wait until they fail. However if you can still get them through a dealer, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get them while you can.

Enjoy!

Mike

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike, still bummed you sold your twin sport!

Tranny filter I'm not sure if it has been replaced but I know the tranny has been flushed on a regular basis.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
When I got my sport I did a similar "baselining" and can offer some food for thought.

You will never have better access to the valve cover and spark plug tube seals, so I would do them while you are in there. Once you have the intake manifold off, they are very easy to get to, make sure you purchase quality parts here.

If the cam seals were replaced, I wouldn't bother as long as they look good, I find the OEM mitsu parts and seals to be of top quality.

Regarding the trans fluid and filter, if it has never been done now would probably be a good time. Its my hope that mitsu uses a neoprene or similar "solid" gasket on the trans.

My 01 3.5 XS sport had a fairly large sized trans cooler already fitted from the factory, does yours have anything at all? Correct mistu fluid here as well....

My rear window seals were pretty well dry rotted from the vehicle spending most of its life in NM, however they never leaked. I asked my local body guy about it, and his reply was keep a very close eye on them, but is probably best to wait until they fail. However if you can still get them through a dealer, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get them while you can.

Enjoy!

Mike

What did you end up doing and how goes it?

265/75r16s are on, and still fantastic blend of on highway and dirt both. Perfect size too.
Alignment...I've had it on three racks and it's perfect in spec but I still get some odd wear. I think it could be wheel bearings
Wax, wash etc. gets done once in awhile. Will be doing full claybar treatment again here soon
Rear has redline synthetic, haven't done the front/tcase lately but will be soon. Recently had tranny flushed at Mitsu with SPIII
Fuel filter changed
Airfilter changed
Wires/plugs done (bit of a job)
Timing belt sometime within next year
Vacuum hoses all in good shape

Valve covers done with spark plug tube seals when doing plugs/wires
Cam seals were in good shape so I left them
Tranny cooler, unnecessary een when towing pretty heavy loads so far
Rear window moldings......I think I'm going to have these replaced

New stuff:
Needs a new windshield
Need to touch up a couple of paint chips
Need to recoat a few strategic parts of the frame to prevent rust
Tranny filter probably needs changed along with gasket
Powersteering pump has a seep somewhere
Need to repaint mud guards

fuzemagazine

Observer
265/75r16s are on, and still fantastic blend of on highway and dirt both. Perfect size too.
Alignment...I've had it on three racks and it's perfect in spec but I still get some odd wear. I think it could be wheel bearings
Wax, wash etc. gets done once in awhile. Will be doing full claybar treatment again here soon
Rear has redline synthetic, haven't done the front/tcase lately but will be soon. Recently had tranny flushed at Mitsu with SPIII
Fuel filter changed
Airfilter changed
Wires/plugs done (bit of a job)
Timing belt sometime within next year
Vacuum hoses all in good shape

Valve covers done with spark plug tube seals when doing plugs/wires
Cam seals were in good shape so I left them
Tranny cooler, unnecessary een when towing pretty heavy loads so far
Rear window moldings......I think I'm going to have these replaced

New stuff:
Needs a new windshield
Need to touch up a couple of paint chips
Need to recoat a few strategic parts of the frame to prevent rust
Tranny filter probably needs changed along with gasket
Powersteering pump has a seep somewhere
Need to repaint mud guards

You did the seal maintenance yourself?

MascotRejct

Adventurer
Hardest part is getting the old brittle and hard ones off

Yup. about 4 of my 6 ended up sticking to the valve cover itself. Also, since your in there, replace the spark plugs. Make sure the check if there is any oil in the spark plug tubes before removing the plugs though. One of mine was almost halfway full!

fuzemagazine

Observer
Yup. about 4 of my 6 ended up sticking to the valve cover itself. Also, since your in there, replace the spark plugs. Make sure the check if there is any oil in the spark plug tubes before removing the plugs though. One of mine was almost halfway full!

Good tip! I plan to do mine soon. Tired of the oil in the driveway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94