Motion X GPS HD v21 released

robgendreau

Explorer
+1 thanks to Rob for the info. Would it have killed Motion X to have it on their website? they should comp you the upgrade :)

BTW, here's a couple of URLs you can use if you spring for the upgrade (you need one each for both iPhone and iPad):

This is for Outdoors map (from OpenStreetMap, but with some differences):
http://[abc].tile.thunderforest.com/outdoors/${z}/${x}/${y}.png

This is for the OpenCycleMap:
http://[abc].tile.opencyclemap.org/cycle/${z}/${x}/${y}.png

I find both rather useful. Note that you have to replace the ${} parameters with [] for use with Motion X (I think the order is still the same: z, x, y, but check. And you have to select a, b, or c as the first letter in the address, so http://a.title.opencyclemap yada yada.

These are provided by Thunderforest under a Creative Commons license; details here: http://www.thunderforest.com/terms/

And again, refer to Rob's post above if you don't know what I'm talking about. He has an excellent tutorial.

And a bit of a warning: Rob already mentioned about some apps allowing downloads of map data for offline use and the (il)legality of that. Many sites offer up their tiles (parts of maps) for non-commercial use, and for downloading. Some allow viewing, but not downloading, even if for personal use. But even the sites that make maps available are often set up so that people can download smallish parts to browsers for designing a trip, viewing your trips or others, etc. Be aware of the rules, and be sensitive about downloading massive amounts of data for offline use. Selecting all of CA and downloading every map set can be quite a burden for some sites that are doing a public service by providing this to us. Be gentle. If you do plunge for the $4.99 feature and add say Google maps the app won't prevent you from downloading Google's stuff, but remember it's your responsibility to follow Google's rules...and they're watching....

RobRed

Explorer
Good advice robgendreau, and good addition to the links.

Not trying to pull people off or ExPortal but I have a thread on my blog I started and I'm going to list links to map sources there, including the above. If you have any to add I'll copy them there or better yet just add them there :) http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Is there a way to export all of my selected waypoints into a single GPX file? Because right now, when I export, I get a separate GPX file for every waypoint that I'm exporting which is very annoying.

RobRed

Explorer
No, not Export. But there is a method for getting them all.

If you want to grab them all, connect your iOS device to iTunes, locate the sharing section on the "Apps" tab (under your device) in iTunes, click Motion X - all of your waypoints and tracks will be visible to the right. Crate a folder on your desktop and drag whatever waypoints and tracks you want into the folder. iTunes will copy them there.

Zip the folder and email, store it etc.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
No, not Export. But there is a method for getting them all.

If you want to grab them all, connect your iOS device to iTunes, locate the sharing section on the "Apps" tab (under your device) in iTunes, click Motion X - all of your waypoints and tracks will be visible to the right. Crate a folder on your desktop and drag whatever waypoints and tracks you want into the folder. iTunes will copy them there.

The iTunes method worked. I was trying to export all waypoints from Motion X GPS and import into Gaia. Motion X exported each waypoint into individual GPX files. Importing into Gaia manually one-by-one sucked. I put all the individual GPX files into Gaia via iTunes. Then Gaia imported all the separate GPX files as one fell swoop.

I'm still in the learning and testing phase of using an iPhone as a GPS. I tested Motion X GPS in Death Valley and it worked well for the most part as I'm adjusting to it's interface. Map wise, I'm way happier with the maps on Motion X GPS and the crisp display on my iPhone than my Garmin 62s with it's chunky graphics and smaller screen.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Let's keep this thread alive as the Official Motion X tips, tricks, tutorial, FAQ, and news thread.

I see Christophe Noel just did a front page article.

http://expeditionportal.com/equipment-testing/2864-motionx-gps-hd-app-for-ipad-and-iphone.html

I have downloaded both Motion X HD and Drive. They both are fantastic. Lately, I've been letting my wife drive just so I can play with the software to figure everything out. I love running both HD and Drive at the same time. They both run in the background perfectly. I even get voice prompts from Drive when I'm looking at other stuff and HD continues to track me while I'm doing other stuff as well.

Downloading the USGS stuff has made it just about perfect. Plus, I plan on getting an OBD II bluetooth dongle so I can have that on the iPad as well.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to share, that I was able to download all the way points from Funtreks.com for the books from Charles Wells. Used the iTunes drag and drop.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Anyone know of any map servers that have topos similar to the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps?

I have installed all the custom maps listed on TLCFAQ.com. Just looking for more.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
RobRed - you are the man. Just did a bunch of reading on your very nice site to get up to speed.

I just bought you a virtual beer.

Stuartag

Always Ready
RobRed,

I just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial and the links to download custom maps. I just downloaded Google Terrain for offline...Works great! I started with a laptop and CDs for real-time tracking back in the late 1990's, and this is sooo much better. Thanks again. You did the work, and made it easier for the rest of us.

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Does anyone have any suggestions for adding the points of interest that Gaia displays on their maps. I was playing with both programs, and motionx has the better interface in my opinion. The one thing I found it lacking was where in Gaia, there are an insane number of poi icons throughout the maps. If you're nearby, you can click on the icon and see if it's something that interests you. Nice feature, as you may be a couple hundred yards away from a great waterfall or scenic bridge, and never know it otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

robgendreau

Explorer
I see; what you want is the POIs Gaia has to be in Motion X. I haven't figured out a way to customize POIs in either app, but since this is a Motion X thread I'd like to know if anyone has done it with Motion X. I wanted to do something like this with the public camground database, but then the Ultimate Publc Campground app came out and there was no longer a need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles