Motion X GPS HD v21 released

RobRed

Explorer
Just for extra clarification.... There are two Motion X nav products (as Rob mentions)

Motion X GPS HD.... Used for point to point navigation such as over land. This allows you to drop way points, record routes, share and export. It's the one for off road use.

Motion X GPS DRIVE HD... Turn by turn route navigation for improved roadways. DRIVE is pretty cool but very redundant as you get that for free with Apple or Google Maps.

cs0430

Just for extra clarification.... There are two Motion X nav products (as Rob mentions)

Motion X GPS HD.... Used for point to point navigation such as over land. This allows you to drop way points, record routes, share and export. It's the one for off road use.

Motion X GPS DRIVE HD... Turn by turn route navigation for improved roadways. DRIVE is pretty cool but very redundant as you get that for free with Apple or Google Maps.

Does Drive include forest service roads? N or S roads for example in California? I guess I was hoping that Motion X GPS could at least plot a route for you because it "knows" where roads are.

robgendreau

Explorer
It has some dirt roads, but coverage isn't the greatest. It had Log Cabin Mine Road outside of Lee Vining, though. And I think Coyote Flat. But those are named dirt roads that happen to also be in forests. But not too bad.

And Motion X HD doesn't know where roads are. It can show a position, or mark a waypoint, that is overlaid on a georeferenced map. But it has absolutely no idea about roads on that grid unless you, or someone else, puts that info there. Some mapping software has a feature that snaps a route to a road; essentially the software is using maps that have info about the whereabouts of the road. If you use a dedicated Garmin, Trimble or other GPS with maps built in, those devices will show your progress along a road, even USFS roads depending on the maps.

cs0430

It has some dirt roads, but coverage isn't the greatest. It had Log Cabin Mine Road outside of Lee Vining, though. And I think Coyote Flat. But those are named dirt roads that happen to also be in forests. But not too bad.

And Motion X HD doesn't know where roads are. It can show a position, or mark a waypoint, that is overlaid on a georeferenced map. But it has absolutely no idea about roads on that grid unless you, or someone else, puts that info there. Some mapping software has a feature that snaps a route to a road; essentially the software is using maps that have info about the whereabouts of the road. If you use a dedicated Garmin, Trimble or other GPS with maps built in, those devices will show your progress along a road, even USFS roads depending on the maps.

Sounds good. Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying Rob.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It has been a while. Anything new on the MotionX HD or Drive front?

I really wish Drive would have downloadable tiles and then have offline rerouting and voice of the those tiles while offline.

There are way too many roads I travel that have zero data coverage, but would like all the Drive features for those areas.

Last edited:

NCLRbear

Adventurer
newb question

I have been looking for a good off road navigation tool. I've been using Mx for a little over a year now and like it. this thread has increased my awareness and re-kindled my use for it. I want to use my Ipad II (which I need to get an older operating system for because its so slow) for my navigation. Do I need to get a bad elf or something like that so that it can track my position? I do not have a wireless plan for it. its just wifi only. I was thinking about getting the delorme unit so that I could send text messages and navigate with my ipad but I don't want to pay a yearly and monthly fee just so my main purpose is navigation with it. don't get me wrong the peace of mind It would bring being able to send messages is great but my main reason for getting one would be for navigation.

robgendreau

Explorer
I have been looking for a good off road navigation tool. I've been using Mx for a little over a year now and like it. this thread has increased my awareness and re-kindled my use for it. I want to use my Ipad II (which I need to get an older operating system for because its so slow) for my navigation. Do I need to get a bad elf or something like that so that it can track my position? I do not have a wireless plan for it. its just wifi only. I was thinking about getting the delorme unit so that I could send text messages and navigate with my ipad but I don't want to pay a yearly and monthly fee just so my main purpose is navigation with it. don't get me wrong the peace of mind It would bring being able to send messages is great but my main reason for getting one would be for navigation.
If you check the reviews here I think you'll see that the InReach (which I think is what you're talking about) isn't the most versatile GPS unit, although it is pretty killer at its main feature, sat communication. But in that realm you gotta pay, so if you don't wanna pay for it, consider other alternatives.

If you don't have GPS on your iPad, yeah, you need external GPS. I think there are Bad Elfs that work with older iPads, back at least to 30 pin connector iPads. Getting an older iOS version on that thing won't be trivial, however. You might need to jailbreak it.

RobRed

Explorer
Not having a "Wireless Plan" doesn't mean it's a WiFi only device. Wireless plans are not needed for the device in regards to GPS use, its hardware.

I've updated the iPad Nav FAQ - look at the bottom of that post for a list of iPad devices that are GPS enabled and don't require an external GPS device [or Wireless Plan :) ]

http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26 same as the link in my signature

For example my devices are model A1454 and A1490.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
If you check the reviews here I think you'll see that the InReach (which I think is what you're talking about) isn't the most versatile GPS unit, although it is pretty killer at its main feature, sat communication. But in that realm you gotta pay, so if you don't wanna pay for it, consider other alternatives.

If you don't have GPS on your iPad, yeah, you need external GPS. I think there are Bad Elfs that work with older iPads, back at least to 30 pin connector iPads. Getting an older iOS version on that thing won't be trivial, however. You might need to jailbreak it.

Not having a "Wireless Plan" doesn't mean it's a WiFi only device. Wireless plans are not needed for the device in regards to GPS use, its hardware.

I've updated the iPad Nav FAQ - look at the bottom of that post for a list of iPad devices that are GPS enabled and don't require an external GPS device [or Wireless Plan :) ]

http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26 same as the link in my signature

For example my devices are model A1454 and A1490.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll check to see what version of the iPad I have and yeah I know I'm in for a challenge in getting an older O.S. on it.

FIREFI6HTER

Is there any map I can download for motion X HD that shows the USFS trail numbers? I've searched and searched and can't find anything.

Many, many thanks for any help in advance.

robgendreau

Explorer
I haven't used Motion X much lately, but I think you can get the USFS numbers on more recent USFS topos. Caltopo will display them. But you'd need a way to get those onto Motion X. Gaia GPS will do it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles