Motion X GPS HD v21 released

RobRed

Explorer
The database in Gaia is a nice addition - Mx doesn't have it.

I create my POI's and add them to Mx as waypoints. With Itunes you can add and remove them pretty easily. For ease of filing I code them. ie: a death valley waypoint (POI) might be named "DV - Geo Cabin - Cmp" or "DV - MesquiteSpgs - Cmpg". The difference in Cmp and Cmpg is that Cmpg is an improved campground and Cmp means it's campable.

I use a few apps as complimentary to one another. Mx for hard core nav and positional awareness with waypoints added pre and during the trip. PDF maps to review traditional maps such as USGS (free) and Gaia or other data source for POI. These apps are so inexpensive that it makes no sense not to have a few at least.

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Rob, thanks for the walk through. I email'ed Mx about 6 months ago asking if they knew of a way to import a similar (to Gaia) large database of POI's. The reply was they would see if there was enough interest to put the time in to it. My guess is that few ask for it tho.

If I remember correctly, I believe Mx was the program where you can add pictures to waypoints you enter. Awesome feature for simple minded people like me - I can remind myself what it is I'm actually looking for. :snorkel:

I really wanted to mesh the two programs together when I was playing around with them. Both great programs, with each having strengths over the other.

robgendreau

Explorer
Pretty much any GPS navigation program will let you add pictures to waypoints you've created

Does anyone know how to IMPORT a photo and have Motion X use the PHOTO's GPS info to create a waypoint? Or in another app? Sometimes I wanna navigate back to where I took a photo, and that would make it easy. Otherwise I have to manually cut and paste from the exif info, which is doable on the desktop but a royal pain in iOS. I can use GraphicConverter to create a KML file easily, but it doesn't contain the photo. What I'd like is for something to import the photo and gps info as one waypoint.

robgendreau

Explorer
Pretty much any GPS navigation program will let you add pictures to waypoints you've created

Does anyone know how to IMPORT a photo and have Motion X use the PHOTO's GPS info to create a waypoint? Or in another app? Sometimes I wanna navigate back to where I took a photo, and that would make it easy. Otherwise I have to manually cut and paste from the exif info, which is doable on the desktop but a royal pain in iOS. I can use GraphicConverter to create a KML file easily, but it doesn't contain the photo. What I'd like is for something to import the photo and gps info as one waypoint.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
We did a 20`500km Transafrika with MotionX as navigation unit. We had used Openstreetmaps and Bing-Hybrid (MotionX v19) - had over 24 GB of downloaded Satellite Imagery.
-
TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

-
The recorded Track has a size arround 45mb. The Setup works fine and was very helpful in africa - where other mapsources was near blank!
-
The new Version of MotionX from 20.x upwards with Custom Map functionality is very nice. But: we loose a bing hybrid tile Server who is builtin in V19.
-
Maybe here is someone who can provide a tileserver for bing hybrid? I did a lot of research, but didnt was able to find one.
-
When you compare the satelite image quality of Google, Ovi and Bing in Africa - you will see that you want Bing Satellite or Hybrid view, because the competitors dont had that an good resolution.
-
With this howto below you are able to backup your apps (or downloaded maps), to do downgrades by your own - if you find the app in that Version you search for.
-
howto compare Satellite Image Provider bing vs google vs ovi
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/12/bing-vs-google-vs-ovi-satelliten.html
-
Howto copy files (and Apps) between iPad and your computer
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2014/01/sichern-von-ipadiphone-motionx-daten.html
-
This way you can choose what to backup and restore or not, itunes is everytime an full backup/restore. With this app you can use your iOS devise as USB Stick for storing files and folders. You can use it too to copy your waypoints and recorded tracks to your computer.
-
I would pay also 10 USD for an MotionX Version with all tile servers and licenes legaliced - hope that such an version will come in the future.
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Any links for suitable map servers for Australia?
-
These Mapservers covers to australia. But if they work in that country you live in, you had to try.
-
I was in Island recently, and was not able to download the google-hybrid view inside of MotionX. I had to use an VPN Connection and a swiss ip-adress, till i was able to download from the tile-server....
-
For Australia The Hema App is helpful, with a lot of 4wd tracks too.
-
4wd-maps.png

-
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/04/navigationslosung-fur-australien-hema.html
-
And the Wikicamp-App lets you find campsites easily:
-
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/04/wikicamps-australia-informationen-zu.html
-
@reece146: thanks for such an feedback :)
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

CCFD170

Adventurer
Is there any way to import ham radio repeater sites into MX? I do have the repeaterbook app but it would be cool to see an icon on the map that you could click on to get the freq. and other info.

RobRed

Explorer
The way you could import them is via waypoint. You would need the repeaters in GPX file format. The notes on the way point can contain the freq etc...

I've created some for myself manually.

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Has anyone successfully done the UG to v22? It seems to have broken my iPad mini. And after three straight weeks of map downloads.

robgendreau

Explorer
Works fine on my iPad. I seem to have lost the ability to view some custom maps, but that may be due to changes on the server side. I hadn't used them in quite a while and the format may have changed. Others like OpenCycleMap worked fine. Maybe try emptying the cache? What symptoms of broken-ness do you have?

RobRed

Explorer
I had a similar upgrade problem... I updated from the ipad and it hung, restarted and kaput. I had to restore from backup. The second go I updated in Itunes then sync'd and was successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94