Motion X GPS HD v21 released

RobRed

Explorer
This version doesn't restore the downloadable Bing maps.

V21 does get Google maps back as cacheable not downloadable. There is a cosmetic make over which I think improves usability. Waypoint storage increased from 500 to 2500.

An interesting new feature is an in App purchase for $4.99 that gives you the ability to load maps from other providers like USGS etc via URL. This gives you all the mapping you could want via open map servers like usgs, google, bing, osm etc. I have used it a bunch and this should solve any missing maps you may want plus gives you the ability to create your own and host them.

[edited above for clarity re custom maps]

Last edited:

YukonRob

Adventurer
I've been using GPS Kit and it is OK - I shied away from Motion X because at the time the current version had removed the offline/cache functionality. Are you damiliar with GPS Kit, and if so, how would you compare it to Motion X?
Thanks, Rob

RobRed

Explorer
Motion X is by far my favorite in terms of usability relative to user interface. The challenge has been map selection.

Mx has caching on all map types it supports. Caching is different than offline/downloadable as it stores only recently used map tiles versus premeditated map tile selection and storage. Only the motion x maps (based on open cycle) are offline downloadable. I have purchased but not yet used the alternate map source function.

GPS Kit has the most diverse set of map choices that are available for offline/downloadable use and has some interesting features as well. The challenge with GPS Kit is the interface is somewhat fiddly which is particularly annoying while trying to make changes or input while driving.

I have all of the available nav apps suitable for offroad use.... Mx remains the go to for me.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Has anyone tried building their own map tile server on their local network to feed maps to Mx? That would get rid of the need for connectivity but adds more hardware and complexity.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've been using MotionX on my 64G ipad 1 for a while and I really like the features and UI of it compared to a few others I've tried. However, I miss the earlier versions which allowed me to download the Bing or Google hybrid maps for offline use. Even v21 doesn't allow me to do that.

RobRed

Explorer
I've tested the add-on for custom maps and a single URL can bring in the entire map set.

I've only looked at the sample usgs topo Basemaps and mapquest sats, both work as suggested.

We need to get source URLs for historical topos but all I've seen are single maps rather than tiled sets. Avenza PDF maps stitches the singles together., not sure what Mx will do with them.

robgendreau

Explorer
Meh.

I like the location page, but the maps? Not so hot. Especially without the ability to download Google for offline use.

GaiaGPS still kills Motion X in the use of layers, multiple map sources (Google, including for offline use), and customization. GaiaGPS has had the ability to add maps from various tile servers within the app itself; you have a choice of dozens or you can add your own (BTW check out caltopo.com for some very very good maps, including historical topos back to 1900).

RobRed

Explorer
There's no right answer for people's preferences.

I have two issues with Gaia. It crashes with large data sets. The user interface is not suitable for use while in motion.

The map problem with motion x is that FullPower (makers or motion x) are following the TCs from Google and others restricting use of maps. FullPower is a big boy company. Small developers are ignoring the licensing around google and other map types.

In the end it's not your problem until your vendor of choice plays by the rules and removes the maps. I suppose the vendor could pay the license for them but that would likely raise the $2 price point for the app.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I totally get the licensing conundrum but they should at least make that an option for an additional cost. I feel like it was a bait-and-switch to offer it initially and then pull it without any explanation when in fact it was the offline Bing/Google hybrid maps that lured me into MotionX at first as I'm sure others too. I like the app overall but no Google/Bing maps are my biggest gripe- their other maps just aren't that good and for that reason I may just give Gaia a try.

RobRed

Explorer
I totally get the licensing conundrum but they should at least make that an option for an additional cost. I feel like it was a bait-and-switch to offer it initially and then pull it without any explanation when in fact it was the offline Bing/Google hybrid maps that lured me into MotionX at first as I'm sure others too. I like the app overall but no Google/Bing maps are my biggest gripe- their other maps just aren't that good and for that reason I may just give Gaia a try.

Lets be clear about v21... There is a custom map option, in app purchase, for $5. This will give you all the maps you want by simply entering the map server URL (readily available) I have ESRI Usgs Topo, bing sat, google terrain and hybrid all downloadable.

Regarding the lure of the earlier version.... I bought it back at v6 where it was the 3 open source map options only.

Here is a shot of the usgs Topo

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376984617.565436.jpg

robgendreau

Explorer
I agree Motion X is better for travel but, not surprisingly, I don't use either app that way.

Can you use forest service topos with the paid upgrade?

RobRed

Explorer
I agree Motion X is better for travel but, not surprisingly, I don't use either app that way.

Can you use forest service topos with the paid upgrade?

If you have a map server URL you can point to you can use USFS maps. I'll be doing a write up and short video of how to do it.

Here are some I have in MotionX

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
That's awesome, thanks Rob! Your work on MotionX related write-ups is much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles