What Subaru , would you pick for offroad us?

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Define offroad use...

You're not going to be tackling the Rubicon in a stock Subaru..or even a mildly built one for that matter. Subaru's are designed with one of the best AWD systems out there geared towards snowy roads. With that said the best "offroad system" Subaru offers is on the STi with a manually controlled center differential and front and rear Torsen LSD's. However not many outfit a 300 hp rocket to be used on unimproved roads, its been done, but not by many. I personally have a 2006 Impreza 2.5i that i absolutely love. I can get 35mpg on the hwy with a light foot and keeping it around 65mph. That drops to around 28 in the city. I have also drove this car several miles up Corova Beach in the OBX despite the recommendations from those with Ladder frame 4x4's. Not once did I get stuck, but I did scrape a good bit along the way. From the factory my car has 5.6" of clearance. Outbacks and Foresters have around +/- 8.7" which I imagine would help with the belly scraping. The 5 speeds offer close to a 50/50 split in most conditions as the center differential is a viscous coupling unit. The Automatics use a 4EAT 4 speed transmission that sends 90% of the traction up front and 10% to the rear, with the ability to split it to around 55F/45R. There is a modification that's been done to trick the tranny into sending power 50/50 much like a center diff locker.

Again, it depends on your definition of offroad but you have to keep in mind that despite the modifications you make to these cars, it's still a car with CV axles and a light duty body and powertrain. Although it's been done many a time I would not take my DD up and down Jeep trails on the regular. I have plans of adding Forester XT springs and struts to my car which will yield a 2" lift, and allow me to fit 215/65/R16 tires. All said and done I will have close to the ground clearance of a stock Forester or Outback, if not a bit more. As it sits now, this car is a champ in the snow, and its lightweight makes it awesome in sand (with revs kept a bit higher). I've taken it up and down many forest roads here in NC (that admittedly a Prius can go down) and have never had a problem. As far as modifications go, I would highly recommend a skid plate being the first thing you do, since plastic typically always loses in the fight against rocks and logs..

I hope that helps, and ask away if you have anymore questions.

madmax718

Explorer
the forester and outback have the highest ground clearance, though maybe the VX might be a good candidate. Most of them are CVT for current year, except for the H6 outback, and stick cars. the VDC even without DCCD will take care of "most" issues. Get a full rally skid for the front at least, and a diff skid. Forester because its just a good blend of size and shape- outback if you have more gear or want to tow (because of the h6).

Flagster

Expedition Leader
our outback swallows gear...we regularly travel with three bikes, a full size cooler, and bags/gear all inside...I hate roof racks and the subie handles gear better than my tacoma or LC

Sebas

Adventurer
The old schools (Loyale/Leone, Brat, and some Legacys EJ18), because they have a part-time tcase with Hi/Lo range.
The newer likes the Forester (manual with tcase), but the center diff restricts the capability because hasn't locker.

Last edited:
I drive a 2005 forester bone stock with steelies and run my snow tires year round, as they are not much different than all terrains. It is the ultimate snow car surpassing any 4x4s I have owned in traction and control. The handling and suspension on forest roads is outstanding', and is nimble enough for most negative situations to be avoided.The cargo capacity is tardis like, hauling every thing from bikes, 10 cubic ft wheel barrows, chimney kits, and tons of gear. Augment this with a cargo box and you have tons of storage. The biggest criticisms are not having key access on the passenger side door and hatchback. I am also able to tow my 400 king quad with this and satisfy any hard core offroad cravings.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
^ x2. Same Forester SX, didn't want the turbo. Goes everywhere I need to go, in the woods, gravel banks and grocery store in stock form, but with the air dam off. Pulls a utility trailer with a 740 pound cruiser on it just fine too.

daveyboy

Adventurer
didn't want the turbo.

I say get the turbo--no matter it be WRX/STi, Forester, or Outback. You can still have all of the great ground clearance, storage, etc., but have a dual purpose vehicle that can hang with "sportier" cars as well. :rockon:

justfred

Adventurer
I just got a 2011 Forester. I got the manual, so turbo wasn't an option, though I did drive a turbo, and I thought the lag was a little disappointing. The MT is fun.

I've got a laundry list of small modifications I'd like to make to give me a little more clearance, traction, and protection on desert roads.

-underbody protection http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_forester.htm
-Lift (1" or so) http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=105
-Tires
-Sliders http://www.get-primitive.com/
-tow hitch/rear recovery point

I carry a lot of junk, so I'll probably get some interior plastic and seat covers as well. And I'd like some silly stuff like hood blackout (mine is white), which I haven't found.

The interior seems a lot smaller for stuff-hauling than the D2 that was my previous vehicle. But it does get double the mileage, and I'm hoping for a lot cheaper maintenance.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
An old dual range EA81 GL will go places no modern subaru will with nothing more than good tires and a small lifft, will get better fuel mileage, and be more reliable than the newer ones too.

Only drawback, is that they are underpowered.

I absolutely love my GL. And have done some simple modifications to make it much more realistic by todays standards. Small lift to allow space for good LT tires, high compression EA81 motor for more power, and a 5-speed dual range swap to allow for better overall gearing, and a deeper low range. Other simple mods included my custom push/bull bar that allows for some pencil beam off road lights, universal towers to allow for a roof rack and basket, and if you would believe it, the car even has a sleeping platform inside.

All in all the car does fantastic, is comfortable, and gets great fuel mileage

Its pretty clean too :sombrero:

RUclean03.jpg

E.J.

Explorer
The Automatics use a 4EAT 4 speed transmission that sends 90% of the traction up front and 10% to the rear, with the ability to split it to around 55F/45R. There is a modification that's been done to trick the tranny into sending power 50/50 much like a center diff locker.

There is a ton of debate and misinformation floating around the web regarding the power distribution of the 4EAT. It varies by year, options, and model.
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

The "diff lock" mod is pretty AWDsome indeedy.

Ironhead

Observer
I had a 1991 Loyale that would go ANYWHERE!! I took it places Jeeps couldn't go in the dirt and was able to go places in the snow that you wouldn't believe. When I was done with that I would put it in two wheel drive and get 28-35 mpg. I took it all over the western united states, thousands upon thousands of miles and only had one break down. I never had a problem with a "lack of power", but I also new it was a small 4 cylinder and drove accordingly. It was always loaded with gear, bikes, roof rack etc and never gave me a problem....you just wave to people as they pass you going up steep hills. On top of it all they are so easy to work on and RELIABLE.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
There is a ton of debate and misinformation floating around the web regarding the power distribution of the 4EAT. It varies by year, options, and model.
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

The "diff lock" mod is pretty AWDsome indeedy.

I know how we can solve this problem. Weld the Front, Center, and Rear differentials, take the front fenders off completely, hack the rears, put the biggest tire you can find on there, sprinkle some unicorn tusk on there accordingly and fill the differentials with T-Rex ectoplasma to prevent binding and breakage! You must mount a roof rack with a enough lights to make Las Vegas seem as dark as the neighboring desert at night, spare tire, hacksaw, Hi-Lift, Solar Panel and Moose Siren. Forget about a backseat, that void will be filled with a sleep platform made of the finest woods found in the Amazon and enough telecommunication devices to make NASA seem as technologically impaired as your 96 year old grandpa. And voila you have the best Subaru for offroad use!!

All joking aside, I think you can see from the various posts that no matter what Subaru you choose you're in for a good time and a surprising amount of capability from each platform. At the end of the day I suggest you drive different models and get the one that just "feels right". Each of us can tell you stories of how we love our respective models, and throw in the occasional drawback, such as lack of power, lack of cargo space, and the list goes on. The point of all this is to just get out there and drive to wherever it is you want to go. Don't get caught up in a websites definition of "expedition ready" or offroad capable. there are plenty of stories of cars with less capability making it up to Alaska on the Dalton highway with the Lotus Elise even being included on the list:http://elsiefrombottomtotop.blogspo...-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=50. I'm a gearhead at heart, so I always enjoy reading the build threads, but find myself getting frustrated with the implication that you must have a laundry list of "expedition tested" items to even leave the driveway. There are obvious items that are helpful like recovery gear and good recovery points-that should be stressed, along with the knowledge to properly extract yourself. Know your vehicles limits and you'll do fine.

Ironhead

Observer
Agrred

I completely agree with what Rosco is saying. Like him I am a gear junkie. I have had Subarus, vans, motorcycles etc. Bottom line is I got out. I saw, I went places and made experiences. Like he said there is not a Subaru made that is not capable of what you want to do, it all comes down to personal preference. Just get there by whatever means necessary. Life is about the journey, or the destination or the way you got there. HAVE FUN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles