tarps for your M416

stick

Adventurer
Has anyone found a good source for a tarp to cover their M416? I'm looking for something that I can put on to keep my gear out of the elements, so it would have to be something strong enough to hold together while driving down the road and something preferably waterproof. I've found a few canvas tarps online, but they are pretty high priced. Any other ideas?

Walldog

The tarps for the M101CDN2 1/4 ton trailers fit nicely. The material is some type of 'poly-rubbery' stuff. Camo pattern on one side and solid green on the other.

slosurfer

Adventurer
I have the canadian one on mine. YOu can find them on ebay but you have to search under "m101" and they are generally cheaper than the canvas ones for the m416. They fit perfect also!

Here's one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ilti...015QQitemZ250210557823QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

IMG_5778.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Beechwood Canvas has high quality canvas tarps for the M416 (and all other 1/4 ton military trailers). A bit pricey though. http://www.beachwoodcanvas.com

Todd McCrimmon in Canada (Surplus Canada Inc.) sells poly tarps for the CDN M101 which fit the M416 perfectly. Buyers who have posted at www.g503 have given him and his product good marks. (Contact info at http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105234. He ships to the U.S. Last I knew, they were $90 including shipping and insurance.

Todd McCrimmon
Surplus Canada Inc.
4850 Hwy 138
St.Andrews
Ontario,Canada
1-613-937-3345
easternjeepers@hotmail.com

For those of you who use tarps to cover your MBT, T3, T3-C, M100, M416, etc., here is an idea for keeping rainwater from puddling:

trailerfix.JPG

See this thread for more ideas:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78108

Last edited:

stick

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys. It's much appreciated. It looks like Beechwood has canvas tarps for $150. Thats a little more than I wanted to pay. I'm sure they're nice, but a bit out of my price range. Maybe I'll try one of those ebay camo ones.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Steve, search ebay for Milspec canvas. I have had customers make their own with a piece of canvas, rope and some brass grommets.

Or, summer is coming. You can probably find something at the Military Jeep shows. Lots of vendors have show pricing... Carlisle, Aberdeen, NJ and PA shows etc.

Beachwood Canvas has a nice product though.

slosurfer

Adventurer
stick said:
How well do those tarps hold up? They look pretty thick.

They hold up great! I've had mine for a few years now and it is always on and stored outside. They are thick and have reinforcements at the corners.

7slotgrills

Observer
I've got a bid right now on E-bay on a Camo heavyduty trap from Canada
$72 + $10 to ship. Will fit all 1/4 Ton Jeep trailers.

Robert Bills

Explorer
7slotgrills said:
I've got a bid right now on E-bay on a Camo heavyduty trap from Canada
$72 + $10 to ship. Will fit all 1/4 Ton Jeep trailers.

The seller is Todd McCrimmon (Surplus Canada Inc.), referenced in my post.

jagular7

Adventurer
I can't find a picture, but I had a a boat canvas place sew in a expandable (bungee) cord into the edge seam of a tarp. The cord was long enough to go around the side panel hooks. It was tightly sewn at the corners of the tub to fit tightly. To keep water from settling on top, I used 1" PVC the length of the tub that would 'cup' into the rounded edge of the tub lip. This held up rather nice for over 2 yrs I had the trailer.

Extreme Steel

Observer
I just check with Harbor Freight and they have alot of great tarps.
www.harborfreight.com found the good heavy duty mildew free water proof ones, and also have just about every size for small trailers and big ones too!!
I don't really care for harbor freight much but when it come to the tarps they are heavy duty 5x8 was $29.00 and the camo ones in Canada are $100.00 to $200.00. I can invest more money into my trailer then blowing a bunch of money on a tarp. Steve~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:costumed-smiley-007

slosurfer

Adventurer
Extreme Steel said:
I just check with Harbor Freight and they have alot of great tarps.
www.harborfreight.com found the good heavy duty mildew free water proof ones, and also have just about every size for small trailers and big ones too!!
I don't really care for harbor freight much but when it come to the tarps they are heavy duty 5x8 was $29.00 and the camo ones in Canada are $100.00 to $200.00. I can invest more money into my trailer then blowing a bunch of money on a tarp. Steve~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:costumed-smiley-007

One difference is that these have the grommets in the right places along with the rubber rope threaded through that is positioned just right to hook the tarp hooks on the trailer. The corners are extremely reinforced so that the corner of the trailer does not rip the tarp. I haven't seen people paying $200 for the canadian ones :confused:

I tried other tarps and it was a pain getting them to fit good enough where I didn't have to worry about excess slack or water getting in while on the move. Once I did get them tight, they were a pain to get into just to grab something while on the road, while these I can unhook the loops right where I need to get in.

My trailer build is a major budget build, therefore everything has to be well thought out and usefull. The tarp other than the tires was the most expensive thing so far, and I do not regret it one bit. Just my .02:26_7_2:

7slotgrills

Observer
The camo tarp look should work out great ,I think it will be better then others with the rope tiedowns. I'm loOking forward to getting mine. Price should be
under $100 with shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles