Truck bed mounted ARB fridge

louisiana

Observer
Looking to get an ARB fridge in the up coming months, and the only place I have to mount it on my Tacoma is in the bed, or to remove the back seats and make a mount for it there. Im not opposed to putting it in the back seat, was just curious if any body has experience with mounting one in the bed of the truck, in the weather. Will it last? Or am I just completely asking for trouble?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No problems. Mine has spent a good portion of its life in the bed of a truck or back of an open top Land Cruiser, I just have to pressure wash it more often :D

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't know about the new plastic ARBs but the old metal ARB/Engel style are pretty rugged - especially if you have the transit bag zipped over them for a little more environmental protection.

I would also blow out the vents with your air hose as part of cleaning the rig.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Could add a tonnau cover to keep it away from prying eyes and out of the elements... that's what I plan on doing...

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Some items to consider:

Ensure a large quantity of cool air is available to the fridge. Don't block the vents when you mount it.

A tonneau cover will block the sun but can trap hot air. Cooler air across the condensor means more efficient operation.

Use 10 or 8 gauge wire to ensure enough current.

Mounting near the tailgate will shake your beer up more that towards the center of the truck.

I just moved my ARB from my cab to my bed due to needing the rear seats again.

Also the transit bag is great. Or search on here for how to make your own...

louisiana

Observer
Thanks guys, it looks like the bed of the truck it is. I'v thought about a tonnau cover but due to my Frontrunner rack I have mounted across the bed, it wont work. And im out of Hammond, LA.

Finlay

Triarius
I built a custom enclosure and slide tray for my fridge to ride in. It's been out there in all sorts of weather and has held up well so far.

YMMV and all that, but, it's worked out well for me so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior