Need some advice on new truck and camper.

czunc

I'm looking for some advice on a truck camper for my wife and I to be able to camp no longer than 2 week trips. We've looked at the Tiger RV but the fact that camper and truck are made into one kinda bothers me. (former GM engineer) It would be nice to be able to pass between the two but what happens if you have major issues with the coach or truck. We aren't interested in a full on expedition rig but we do want to be able to go down back roads anytime of the year. This would include forest service roads or long dirt roads. Neither one of us see the benefit of spending $100k+ on a camper just to tear it up within 3 years anyway. We live in Texas but would like to take the camper to Colorado frequently so it would have to be well insulated from the extreme heat and cold. Both of us would like to be able to use the plumbing in the winter months with out having to winterize daily to prevent freeze ups. I need something that is comfortable on long trips (1000 miles or more) and doesn't give you the "white knuckle" driving experience. Dual wheels are not the greatest in snow or on back roads but they are supposed to be supper stable on the highway plus there is always tire chains. I'm trying not to overkill the off road capability because i know most of the time you drive 800 miles to go down a 5 mile dirt road. This is what I've come up with so far,
- Camper -
Bigfoot 10.6 Dry Bath. This is because I think the solid fiberglass construction would be less maintenance and they are know for their great insulation. Again, we don't want to freeze and we want running water in the winter. Remember Colorado gets cold in the winter! We will need a generator to run the A/C in the 100deg summer months. Honda EU2000 or built in oman. One thing that does concern me is the large overhang off the rear of the truck. Would this eliminate the ability to ever tow anything of size without have a rigged up tow hitch?

-Truck-
Ford F350 or F450. (I run a Ford dealership so I want to stick with Ford) Heres where I'm not sure what to do. Should i go with a F450 and be done with it or would this set up work on a F350 SRW? Both would be diesel and 4x4. What type of modifications would i need on the truck to make this work besides the normal tie down system? BTW, This year Ford puts the same size tires on the F350DRW as the F450. (Not really sure why!)

I'm sure someone on here has a similar setup or knows more about this than i can research. I appreciate any advice you can give and if you have a similar setup could you include a picture to help me understand the monster I'm building.

Thanks

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Have you looked at XP Campers?

It would be nice to be able to pass between the two but what happens if you have major issues with the coach or truck.

I have often thought and wondered the same thing.

A 100k camper will (well it should) last more than 3 years, but the vehicle under it is prone to the normal vehicle problems.

czunc

I have looked at XP and Northstar both as far as flatbed campers go. Both looked really good but i didn't like some of the things related to the popup portion of the XP. The rubber roof turned me off of on the Norhtstar but i liked everything else about the camper.

zb39

Adventurer
DRW trucks are fine in the mud and snow as long as you have good tires on them. I have been doing it for 30 years. Enjoy.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
2000 watt generators are not big enough to run a regular rv AC unit. The startup draw is too much for them. EU 3000s can do it, but are triple the size and weight of the 2000.

The question of SRW vs DRW is only something you can decide. What is the curb weight of your chosen F350? GVW? Wet weight of camper and all cargo? If curb + cargo is even close to max GVW I would go dual rear. You will wind up with way more stuff in a camper that size than you expect. I sold my F350 SRW and bought a dually after scaling my '07 camper (10.5') dry. I was 2000 lbs over with NO water, food generator etc. The truck carried it ok, but I don't want the hassles if I ever get scaled by our d.o.t. They have been known to set up portable scales and go after "civilian" trucks that are over loaded.

foxhunter

Adventurer
The main arguement for not having dual rear wheels on an off road camper is rocks getting between the tires and causing flats/wheel damage. That, said, I use a flatbed dodge dually 4x4 on the farm off road all the time and that has never happened. What I like about the dually is you really don't have to carry a spare, because in a pinch because you have the extra duals on the rear. It is also more stable pulling loads. Duallys come with more narrow tires, so you would want to put something wider up front. you are limited by width on the back so have to stay with the narrower tires.
If you just plan to go on bad roads, duals should be fine. If you really plan to go off road in rocky country, you could end up regretting the dual rear wheels.
Also, regarding tiger vs hard side camper. If I needed the truck for other uses, then hard side definitely. If just using for camping, then consider the Tiger or go Earthroamer or GXV with the Ford(and double your price). The latter two use 550's. They would give you more storage space as well. Also, seems like if you run a Ford dealership, a Tiger, a GXV Turtle or an Earthroamer mounted on a Ford, parked in front of your dealership could be a significant draw to get people into your parking lot. Used like that should make it a business write off perhaps. Having a pass through is very nice for passengers to hit the fridge or bathroom while driving.

czunc

I think I've decided to order or find an F350 crew cab 4x4 with the heavy duty service package. After doing research I think this would be the safest route plus allow you to carry more "stuff". i hate to think im putting $60k in a truck just to hual a camper but im sure I'll find other uses for it. Now I just need to narrow down the camper choices. I called the Bigfoot dealer in Colorado the other day but I'm still waiting a reply to what he has available. The wife really wants the dry bath and I kind of agree it would be nice. We could always use the shower as a drying room and not have to remove everything just to use the toilet.

Using your personal vehicle for advertising is never a great idea. Everyone will want to see inside or employees would want to drive it. Plus its a good way for little things to come up missing. I never liked other people going through my stuff or messing with my things anyway. I never felt the need to show off my toys everyone either. It's still a good suggestion for a tax write off just not for me.

We could always put a camper on this if we just planned to drive a block or two. Someone traded this at our dealership yesterday and it rides like crap! :sombrero:
View attachment 178864
View attachment 178865

RedRocker

Adventurer
Definitely a dually, check out Torklift for tiedowns & towing. I had a Bigfoot like you're looking at, bought it in Colorado Springs. We just
bought a Lance 1050s that also has a dry bath, see the pic at the top of this section in the pics thread. I towed a Jeep behind my Foot
and it worked fine, you just have to get the right equipment to do it. I'm in Lewisville if you need any help, Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne