Slee SliderStep

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
taco chaser said:
Ok point taken, never said it wasn't a good product, just a little steep in price in my opinion and that seems to be the theme of the thread..:)

I agree that it is expensive, however I don't think it's overpriced.

I think fabbing up something like this (basically replacing your time for $) is a money-out-of-pocket saver and good if you enjoy doing it. You also have something unique, which is cool too.

There are just different ways to take things- it's all good

cid 96

Observer
sliders

Being in the welding supply business, not in the welding business, you could not build a "one of" slider like this for what you can by it from Slee. Either paying shop time or purchasing all the needed equipment to do it yourself. If you did have all the equipment to do it yourself then you would be using that equipment to either make sliders to make money or make something else to make money.

This has nothing to do with expedition travel, but I just thought I would add my opinion.

Sid

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Life_in_4Lo said:
that is not a fair comparison. That's like putting a M5 next to a Corolla and saying the Corolla wins because it's cheaper. Sure it wins on price, but there is more too it.

It's a totally different market. If you want to DIY, that's awesome and there are great options... for some people, time is money and they just want to focus on other things so finished, bolt on sliders are a good choice.

For a fair comparison, tell me how much it would cost you to make the same product as Slee offers?

so the leverage of $150 tube sliders on welded on (in comparison) tiny scab plates will be better for the frame than Slee's full length bracing?

Leverage is leverage and the weight difference of the slider isn't going to tear your frame up, it is the design of the mounting because once you start dropping onto them or leveraging off of them, I would guess a full frame brace is much better than several 1.5" dia welds going into one side of the frame.

I've seen cheap, round tube sliders on older, lighter Tacomas bend up and become useless. So, in that case, is doing it twice cheaper than once right, the first time? You don't want sherman tanks weighing you down but you don't want sliders that are inappropriate for the length and weight either.

Not starting an argument but just pointing out that price is relative and many times comparisons can be misleading.

DIY= more power to you. But offering a product for sale is a different story than a one-off made to satisfy yourself.
For a fair comparison, tell me how much it would cost you to make the same product as Slee offers?
Well if you want to look at it this way, a product for sale should be way cheaper than any one off product by far due to the fact of set up being done, jig tables, measurements cataloged, design completed.......blah blah.....
If i gave you a price on what it would cost me to build, it would seem as if i was trying to undermine SleeOffroad and that is just not my style.

On the subject of leverage the lighter 120 wall round tube is probably 5 x stronger than a square tube of the same gage thickness, "the dome effect". Get a 120 wall square tube and a 120 wall round, ********** each one with a hammer and the square will be the worse off, so you end up having to run a heavier gage and weight square tube to accomplish similar strength of the lighter round tube. So you say a slider that is 50 - 70lbs isn't going to put more stress on the frame than one that is 30 - 35lbs??????? On or off vehicle weight, this still would add more stress due to what it is attached too, frame plates or not.The lighter the product, the more of an extension of frame it becomes instead of a lever on the frame. This is the point i was trying to make before and this comes from experience wheeling, fabricating, and testing. I'm not making this up to hear myself talk to myself.:)

This post is not an attempt to under mine Slee's costs of doing business or his product design. This is just to answer the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne