What should I replace the Hummer H3 with?

telemike

SE Expedition Society
I may need to be able to tow a 4200# dry weight (5000# loaded) 25' long travel trailer. My 2007 H3 with I5 can tow 4500# max and at the max end the poor I5 will struggle to climb any mountain grades.

-
I Still want to be able to do some light off-road trails and be good for daily driving. I also need it to be camping friendly.
I don't want anything huge like a Suburban, Tahoe or H2. Land Cruisers seem fairly large too.
-
I know Nissan put some 5.6 V8's in the Pathfinder, that could be a good option as well as a V8 Land Rover LR3 which has a 7700# tow rating. Still can be a light trail rig with lift rods and better tires. Other options? Lexus GX470?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Didn't the H3s come with a V8 option too? That is if you like the H3.

Otherwise several other options to pull 5000lbs: 4Runners/GX, Grand Cherokees, LR3/4s, Toureg, Expedition and several pickup trucks even a Honda Ridgeline, it all depends on the budget and preference. I do find a longer wheelbase truck easier to tow with.

Kaisen

Explorer
The easy choice would be a V8 Grand Cherokee.....why is that not on your short list?

At 5,000 pounds and a huge aero load, I'd skip anything with a V6. The Tacoma, Frontier, etc will not cut it.
In my opinion, the Toyota 4.7L V8 isn't strong enough either. The 4.6L is much better, as is the 5.7L. Nissan's 5.6L would do fine.

A later-model Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V8? Even that's marginal power and will get horrible fuel economy towing.
Cayenne or Touareg V8? (Or diesel?)

Have you considered converting your own H3 to a V8 Alpha Spec? Dropping in a 5.3L or 6.2L or even a 7.0L is very straightforward.....might even be cheaper than selling yours,buyig something else, and prepping it to your tastes. Yours is already to your taste, just needs more power?

telemike

SE Expedition Society
H3 V8's are rare and expensive. I need to stay under $18k. Paid $16k for my H3.

Really don't want a pickup. Rather have an SUV.

LR3 really gets my eye, but worried about reliability and costs of repairs/maintenance.

Jeep GC or Commander with HEMI should do ok, just have to add a lift&tires later on for expo use.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Kaisen

Explorer
Have you considered converting your own H3 to a V8 Alpha Spec? Dropping in a 5.3L or 6.2L or even a 7.0L is very straightforward.....might even be cheaper than selling yours,buyig something else, and prepping it to your tastes. Yours is already to your taste, just needs more power?

H3 V8's are rare and expensive. I need to stay under $18k. Paid $16k for my H3.

$18K budget. So what is your truck worth now? $12K? $14K? Then that's $4-6K 'opportunity cost' towards sticking a V8 in your own truck....easily done

Kaisen

Explorer
There was a supercharger option, but vortech discontinued it.

I was talking about yanking your 5 cylinder lump and putting in a used late model small block V8....replicating the H3 Alpha

The 5.3L Alpha was the exact same motor/accessories/harness/computers they used in the V8 Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, Canyon, Colorado, SSR, and Saab 9-7x. Finding one complete, used, is easy and CHEAP. Plug and play. Then you'd have a Alpha without the cost, and you'd still have the truck you know, like, and trust.

Remember, hot rodding is the American way.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Unless you drive a 8000lbs, 8L, V8 on a truck frame you've got no binness pulling a 5000lbs load and endangering everyone on the road. Anything less and the truck's going to flip over and explode in a firey ball - there Kaisen I made it easy for ya :elkgrin:

Seriously I towed our 4k travel trailer with our 2008 Ridgeline all over and I could pass many V8s going uphill all over CA, the brakes felt good, the handling felt great. Same when pulling my race car on tandem axle- my previous truck in comparison (98 Dakota 5.2L V8) plain sucked in every respect. Having said that the V6 was no better than the newer V8s in the gas mileage area so might as well go with a V8.

LR3/4 are great trucks even in the reliability dept whereas Chrysler has had quality issues in almost all their cars since the Mercedes/Chrysler divorce, several accounts of these issues I read about right here. Bottom line not every Chrysler is plagued with issues and neither is every LR3, do a thorough pre-purchase inspection, do some research and you go with what you like.

Kaisen

Explorer
5,000 pounds is easy. It's 5,000 pounds and the aero load of a camper trailer that may be a strain for some "trucks"

Note that my advice didn't include any big truck at all.... he wants a midsize, and there are plenty that would suit him

Just make sure whatever you buy gets a set of expedition-grade 7.00x16 Mud tires!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke