Recumbent Trikes

wesel123

Explorer
So I've been getting some pretty sever back pain and total numbness on my daily rides with the wife around our area. We get home jump on the bikes for and hour or two to get our exercise and blow the stink of work off. But as of the past few weeks my back is just killing me, I had surgery to repair 2 disks in '97 and have been fine up until recently. It seems that the few hours in the bent positions is just to much for me know, and as a result my legs and feet get numb. Riding my Mt. Bike is fine, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that I'm up and down in the saddle.

So I saw a recumbent trike at the beach the other day and was curious, so I did a little research and these may be the solution to my road bike problems. But I'm curious as to the good and bad opinions of people that own them or have ridden them. The picture below are the two I've been thinking about, they are both all-rounder styles and are in the price range I could swing. So I'm looking for some feedback from the wealth of knowledge on this site!!!!!

Catrike Trail

TerraTrike Tour II

GlennA

Adventurer
Any particular reason for a trike instead of a recumbent bicycle? I would suggest renting one for a weekend before buying. Transporting a trike presents challenges that a bicycle doesn't. I wish I hadn't sold me recumbent bike. They are good for all day riding.

wesel123

Explorer
I tried a buddies 2 wheel recumbent and didn't like it. Never felt like I was in control at slow speed, they are crazy fast on the flat's. And I totally plan on riding a trike first, hopefully for a few hours before I commit. Also Catrike has a 30 "test ride" you buy it an if you don't like it they will take it back.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I rode one a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun. I bought my wife a hand cycle after we had a car accident and she was wheel chair bound. It was a hard adjustment for her not being able to ride, Sorry off topic and much different then her hand cycle ,but I rode a trike with her for a couple months and really enjoyed it. Things to keep in mind. You are really low to the ground and hard for people to see(even with a flag). It is wider then a bike so where is most of your riding done? They are big so transporting needs more then most roof racks. Just throwing out things I experienced.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I owned a HP Velotechnik Streetmachine for several years. Not a three wheeler but a recumbent. I had test ridden several different configurations over the years and although the three wheelers are super fun to ride they have (in my humble mind) several big down sides.
1. They are WAY to low to ground and sometimes easy to miss in traffic!
2. The visibility for the rider is poor in traffic. Think about looking "through car windows to check for traffic".
3. Transporting a trike is a pain in the butt! (try and push one up a hill...)
4. You need totally different muscles and if you don't ride all the time every ride will be painful....
5. They are very bad for climbing hills

Advantages:
Like all other recumbents you will ride a lawnchair around and will never go back to a upride bike.
They are fast! On the flat that is....

In any case, recumbents have their place, but you should really know what you are getting into!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Myself on a camping trip... Please note the higher then a trike seating and the Feet first position...

Attachments

• salt spring island 2006 034.jpg
    salt spring island 2006 034.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 14

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I ride a Volae Expedition Pro- love it. 26 inch wheels and a high riding position address the shortcomings of the trike. You will notice reduced performance over a regular bike going up hills but the gearing is low enough to get up even the steepest slope- just not very quickly. Going down is the reverse- very fast and way fun. All day riding comfort- say goodbye to sore wrists, neck, back. Does take some getting used to and uses different muscles but after the break-in period you will love it.

lg_11exppro.jpg

tangoecho

i would totally go with the terra trike ,but like all here have said try it out first by renting...Im kinda in the same boat as you have with back pain im now switching towards a recumbent .Normal day for me is to ride 20 miles per day 7 x a week.rain snow or shine i love it,3000 miles per year plus.Total amount in the past 5 yrs is over 15k,and yes i do have a truck to drive but its a Diesel and that is a pia in cost.So when ever i can i ride ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94