Advice on buying an 80 or 100

SmoothLC

Explorer
Gotta go with the 100 if you're looking for 20k comfort filled miles - :)

And at 100 nights w/ your vehicle, take out the second and third row seats (or fold up the second row after taking out the third row) and you'll be set.

aurum

Your experience and advice led me to this 2000 lx 470. Way more comfort than I ever thought I'd have. It's awesome so far. This week some 285 75 16 BFG AT tires will go on and then I'll have more confidence off road. Vehicle has 140k miles and while I'm not crazy about the color, I wasn't going to let that keep me from the best deal and vehicle. It feels great and I can't wait to start the adventures.

Fireball - I'm a full time gold prospector. You can read about what I do in my articles for ICMJ mining journal ( http://www.icmj.com/writers-detail.php?id=76&keywords=Michael_Greyshock) and Gold Prospectors Magazine (http://www.goldprospectors.org/Medi...-Prospectors-FREE-with-a-GPAA-membership.aspx )

If I can figure out how to post a picture from my phone I will.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
I'd love to find a nice 100 and do just want you are talking about. However I have a Rock crawler that I'd like to occasionally tow and I'm worried about the towing manners/power of the small V8. Package would be about 5k trailer/rig. Thoughts from any of you currently driving/towing with one?

zimm

Expedition Leader
If you're the type of guy that has to tow at 80 mph, and burn rubber on a ramp, I'd be reticent to do it. If you tow over crested butte, I'd be reticent to do it. If its weekend warrior, you know how to position the rig on the trailer, and you're not looking to run 35's on the stock 4.30 gears, I don't see 5000 as that big of an issue. The truck has 220hp 330tq. Comparable or more than an 80's f250 with a 351w.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Well, I tow with a '13 Tundra Crewmax right now, and it is nice to run 75 the truck not even break a sweat. In NW Arkansas so there are some long grades and twisty descents to consider. That being said I've towed with less power and I am very cognizant of rig placement on the trailer to optimize the ride.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Mostly I want it haul me and the wife and 2 kiddos to the Family's places in OK, on camping/mild overland stuff while pulling a utility trailer/popup (would like to get a little deeper in the woods so the rear locker sounds good). Runs around town and tow my mower trailer (prob 3-3.5k) 5 days a week. Towing the rock buggy will be 1 every couple months based on the current trend. MAYBE once a month if I'm lucky

zimm

Expedition Leader
2003 up has a 5speed, and a couple more horses. I'd pick one of those if buying today.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
2003 up has a 5speed, and a couple more horses. I'd pick one of those if buying today.

Think that will be sneaking up out of my budget. Tryin to downsize out of a too high payment and still keep something dependable and that can do a least most of what I can do with the truck now because that's how I use it!

zimm

Expedition Leader
Think that will be sneaking up out of my budget. Tryin to downsize out of a too high payment and still keep something dependable and that can do a least most of what I can do with the truck now because that's how I use it!

NEVER do a payment on a used car. if i was tight id forgo the whole ****tin sport and get a reliable new econobox. 99% of lifes joys are freebees, and all those can be ruined when money becomes a hassle.

its been said before, an old expensive luxury car is like a once hot high maintenance elderly woman. it doesnt know it got old, but it still requires the money to keep it happy.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
NEVER do a payment on a used car. if i was tight id forgo the whole ****tin sport and get a reliable new econobox. 99% of lifes joys are freebees, and all those can be ruined when money becomes a hassle.

its been said before, an old expensive luxury car is like a once hot high maintenance elderly woman. it doesnt know it got old, but it still requires the money to keep it happy.

I was saying it'll be getting out of my cash budget. I'm looking to get out of my payment on the 2013 and get into something I can drive and use for a while that will do the majority of what I'm wanting it to. Tryin to be proactive on the budget, not tight yet... But I can see where it may get that way soon.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Your experience and advice led me to this 2000 lx 470. Way more comfort than I ever thought I'd have. It's awesome so far. This week some 285 75 16 BFG AT tires will go on and then I'll have more confidence off road. Vehicle has 140k miles and while I'm not crazy about the color, I wasn't going to let that keep me from the best deal and vehicle. It feels great and I can't wait to start the adventures.

Fireball - I'm a full time gold prospector. You can read about what I do in my articles for ICMJ mining journal ( http://www.icmj.com/writers-detail.php?id=76&keywords=Michael_Greyshock) and Gold Prospectors Magazine (http://www.goldprospectors.org/Medi...-Prospectors-FREE-with-a-GPAA-membership.aspx )

If I can figure out how to post a picture from my phone I will.

Good luck with the vehicle Michael. Drop on by over on 'Mud in the 100s section and give us a shout about your rig.

aurum

Thank you SmoothLC. I'll be following the mud forum and this one. Maybe occasionally chiming in. So far so good in the LX 470. I've already spends some nights in it and taken many places. Comfortable and capable. Now I just hope it lives up to its reputation for reliability. Only thing I've done so far is put on some Tires. image.jpg here it is in all its dusty glory. It sure feels better to drive (or at least more like me) when it's not all shiny.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Glad you're happy with your decision. And really it isn't even a fair comparison to the early FJ80s (1991-2). I like my 1995 FZJ80, but now with two kids and its primary purpose as a roadtrip vehicle, a 100 series would serve me better. While the 80 may be more "capable," the 100 is more than capable for what 99% of people need. But since my 80 apparently is going to run forever, I don't see a 100 series in my future. Maybe when I give it to one of my sons when they can drive. Not sure if it will be the 8 year old or the one year old!

krazytoy

Adventurer
You made the right choice, I have had them all and for what you are doing the Hundy is a much better platform. Good luck and if your ever in Idaho hit me up, I'd live to tag along and point you in a few directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior