12V Solar Pelican Case Power Pack / Generator

lysol

Explorer
Current progress from Page (6):

IMG_2984_zps434145eb.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on building a Pelican Case power pack for small 12V items such as charging phones, running 12V DC LED lights, charge my Garmin watch, etc... I had researched everything for over a month starting back in April. I've always been fascinated with energy since I was a little kid. I have a thing for electricity and needed a good project so Here is what I've been working on.

Case - Pelican Case - 1400 Yellow
I chose yellow for electricity and to distinguish it from anything else in the vehicle. The 1400 model is due to endless measurements to fit the battery.

Battery - Odyssey PC680
I chose this because it'll give me around 15Ah(Amp hour) of current from 100% to 0%. With only taking it down to around 50%, I'll have about 7-8Ah (84-96Wh(Watt hour) at 12V(Volt)) of power to use. While it's not a true deep cycle battery, because it's a motorcycle battery, there were a lot of mounts available due to it's popularity. I found a company in Washington who makes a cool aluminum mount specifically for it that will fit inside the Pelican 1400 case (JUST to clarify, it's not designed for the pelican case, but it will work). Under the battery, I'm using a 1/4" rubber mat for vibration and shock dampening. This will also help waterproof the battery case holes. I'm still not 100% on the type of bolts I will be using for the battery case, but it will pretty much be a bolt, outside metal washer, outside rubber washer. The bolt will go through the case, through the rubber mat, through the battery case, and then a nut with a metal and rubber washer. I'll seal them somehow for water proofing but to allow somewhat easy removal for battery replacement in the future.

Solar Charger - MorningStar Sunsaver 10L
I chose this because it'll give me a decent 10A(Amp) setup. The solar panels can bring in up to 10A, the charger can charge the battery at up to 10A, and the LVD(Low Voltage Disconnect) interface can supply up to 10A for external power. The LVD will turn off the power if the battery's voltage drops below 11.5 volts and turn back on once the battery gets over 12.6 volts. By wiring all electronics/ports to this instead of straight to the battery, it offers a safety net to keep from draining the battery dangerously low.

Solar Panel - TBD
I'm currently using a Instapark 20W(Watts) Monocrystalline panel along with 3 other smaller panels. Total, I have about 25W all connected in parallel. This is just for testing still however. With a 10A limit through the solar charger, I will be able to push up to about 170W worth of solar panels before I get close. I got 170W from the following equation: (W=A x V). A typical panel will operate at around 17V. We know the amps is 10, so now we have enough to solve the equation. W=10 x 17. However, realistically I'll be able to go higher as no panel really puts out 100% of it's rating.

My end goal comes down to being able to replace the power I've used the night before and then some to have a cushion. If I used 7-8Ah bringing my battery down to around 50%, I would have to be able to replace that the next day. The rule of thumb is to be able to get that in 4 hours. Let's say 8Ah for a nice looking number. To get that in 4 hours, I would need to constantly generate 2A for 4 hours. That would require at minimum a 34W (2A x 17V) panel. So if a 34W panel gave me 100% of it's rating, I'd be able to replace 8 Amp hours of 12 volt power in 4 hours of sunlight. But we don't live in a perfect world do we? I like to think panels generally get around 75% of their rating in full sunlight I'm just going to ballpark this that I will need at least 50W worth of solar panels to get the results I want.

Here's the thing though, I actually want to be able to make more power so that while the battery is charging, I have some extra power coming in to charge my phone and/or other small devices without keeping my battery from reaching 100% in 4 hours time. My phone will need about 1A draw. So 2 phones charging would take around 2A. It would take lets say 3 hours to charge so there's another 6Ah I need to come up with. I'm already close to the power I needed in the last paragraph so with maybe charging my GPS watch and a few other things, I'm pretty close. I said earlier I would need around 50W for the 10A before. Let's just double that and I'm up to 100W worth of needed solar panel(s).

Now, to most, this 100W is overkill and who is to say I'll use 10A worth of power every night. When I do need the power though, I'll have it.

100W is my end goal for solar panel input. Also, on a side note, I have 2 Goal Zero 3W Light-A-Life camping lanterns that pull about .25A each. Both running would use .5A. If I run them both for 5 hours straight, I'll use around 2.5Ah from the battery. They put out a lot of light for what they are so running them for 5 hours and only using 2.5Ah is amazing. So from my personal 8Ah limit on my battery, I'll still have around 5.5Ah left to use before the battery reaches 50%.

Now on to wires. I am planning on using 16/2 SJOOW Neoprene-Jacketed cable for the main cable for the solar panel input. This will be the cable that connects the solar panels to the power pack. I chose this type of cable because it comes with 2 16 gauge wire strands in 1 larger insulated cable. I will also wrap it with a wire sleeve for more durability as it will be on the ground. I was wanting around SOOW 0.37"OD(Outer Diameter, a.k.a. thickness) but I don't think it would fit in my Harwin plug so I'm going to settle for a little bit thinner at SJOOW 0.31"OD. Both have (2) 16 gauge internal red/black wires but the difference is the outter insulation thickness. I'm sure once I sleeve it, it will be durable enough.

I will also be using 16 gauge from the solar panel input plug to the solar charger. I won't need anything larger as I will only be using up to 10A and the connector I've chosen and bought for the solar panel input to the power pack has 16 gauge buckets for me to solder the wires into. I will then be wiring a 10A inline fuse directly on the inside of the power pack coming in from the solar input. After that, I will have a Watts Up meter from RC Electronics USA to record my solar harvesting because I like to know what I got for the day at the end of the day. It has a reset feature and can be powered by the main battery itself. The meter shows Amps, Volts, Watts, Amp hours, Amp peak, Watt hours, Watt peak, and Volt minimums. Pretty handy for such a small meter. Then from there, more 16 gauge wire to the solar charger input. The solar charger has 3 sets of inputs; solar power input, battery input, and the LVD output. From the battery input on the solar charger, I will be running 14 gauge wire to an inline 10A fuse and then to the battery. I am running a little higher gauge wire here because it is the main battery wire. It is the only wire going to and from the battery. The last solar charger output is the LVD output. I will be running 14 gauge wire from there to yet another inline 10A fuse to a second Watts Up Meter to measure power usage and then to the accessory ports.

For accessory ports, I'll be installing 2 waterproof cigarette lighter sockets because they are still a common connection. I was thinking about wiring in a dedicated USB socket as well, but I'm not sure if I will. I can just pop in a dual USB socket in one of the cigarette lighter sockets and call it a day. The cool thing about Goal Zero's Light-A-Life camping lights is that they can daisy-chain off each other. That means 1 cigarette lighter plug can power up to 8 lights (at 3W each, that would pull about 2 Amps all combined and with my 8Ah battery limit, I could power 8 of those bad boys for up to 4 hours).

For the solar input plug/socket, I decided to use the Mil Spec 5015 style. They are pricey though. If you Google "5015 mil spec", you'll see why. For the socket, plug, and end caps, it was around $50. I really liked Harwin's plugs, so I went with them. Amphenol also makes great quality plugs. Both companies are used by the military so you can't go wrong with either. I didn't want to go cheap here because this is a very important part of the case that will be exposed and needs to be durable. Plus, it's a cool factor as well.

For the solar panel connectors, I'm using 2-pin Weather Pack terminals. They are somewhat waterproof and I'll make them universal across all of my solar panels. They are around $3 a pair(male/female). I've bought a few sets already, but I need the weather pack die for my wire ratchet crimpers. I'll be putting a female Weather Pack connector on the other end of the solar panel cable (at the other end of the mil-spec connector). I'm also making a Y-Cable with Weather Pack connectors (1-Male / 4-Female). This will allow me to connect up to 4 solar panels instead of just 1.

To end the project, it's cool and all to be able to charge the case via the Sun, but what about when you want to charge it at home or anywhere with a wall outlet? I will be putting in a small (about the size of a computer mouse) waterproof battery tender that will put out about .8A. It will be inside the case and I'll have an outlet on the other side just for this. I'm thinking of using a common computer cable for the outside wire. They are very common so I won't have to make that cable at all.

All holes will be sealed with Marine Goop.

There are a few other small details. I already have a small rectangular volt meter that will be installed on the outside of the case in the handle recessed area. Next to it will be a Plasma Glow momentary On button to get a quick check of the voltage at any time. This will be wired directly to the battery and only used to check voltage. I really like the Plasma Glow switches. I am wiring this directly to the battery instead of going through the LVD because if the LVD is activated, it won't have power and I would want to see the voltage periodically as it rises and gets close to the cut-on thresh-hold.

All connections will be soldered and heat shrinked. I don't think I'll be using the crush-style insulated crimp connectors. I like the clean look of non-insulated connectors with a little heat shrink.

Stuff I have:
Battery ($120)
Battery Mount ($40)
Solar Charge Controller ($60)
20W Solar Panel ($65)
Watts Up Meter ($50)
2 Goal Zero Light-A-Life lanterns ($80)
Marine Goop ($5)
12V gauge ($10)

I still have more to go though. I still need:

Pelican Case 1400 ($80)
battery tender ($30)
1/8" rubber Neoprene mat roll ($30)
bolts/nuts/washers for battery case ($TBD)
16/2 cable ($90) (The shortest amount of this cable I've been able to find is 250' from a company out of FL)
second Watts Up Meter ($50)
Weather Pack Crimpers ($80)
Plasma Glow Button Momentary On ($30)

I know it's a lot of reading, but I'm mainly typing this up to help keep track of what I've done and what I still need to do. I'll post pics up of what I got so far in my testing setup soon. I live in an apartment though so with my 20W panel, I was only able to produce 0.400Ah all day today... not great, but the panel is sitting behind a window with a metal screen and it's not angled properly nor does it get much sunlight all day. I'm going to be testing this at the wife's parents house this weekend so I should be getting really good test results under the sun outside. I'm hoping to harvest between 3 and 4Ah from the 20W panel all day on Saturday. We will see...

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
My First Schematic:

**EDIT - I WILL BE USING 14AWG WIRING IN THE CASE NOW WHERE THIS SCHEMATIC SHOWS 16AWG.
***Also, please refer to page 5 for current schematic.

PCGscheme_zpsc1558fe0.png

Last edited:

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
Tagging along. I was just thinking about doing something similar. I've used pelicans with batteries inside to power the electronics on my kayaks, but adding solar is cool. Do you mind sharing a link to the company that sells the aluminum battery mount for pelicans?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I've been planning on a similar setup using some ammo cans. One to hold the battery and inverter and another to hold one or two roll up panels. Watching and learning...

lysol

Explorer
Tagging along. I was just thinking about doing something similar. I've used pelicans with batteries inside to power the electronics on my kayaks, but adding solar is cool.

Honestly, kayaks is what started me on this project. I wanted a way to power things on an overnight kayaking trip. It would also serve as a power unit to power lights on the kayak (rules on my family's lake is you have to have lights to go out after dusk). Then I kept rethinking everything until I decided to build a unit that could handle a few different things at the same time.

I can use it camping to power various things. It would be a great unit to take in the Jeeps for road trips as a backup power device for whatever. Hell, it would even be a great backup power source should the power go out at home. The plan is to keep it plugged up to the wall when it's at home to keep it topped off. The battery tender will put out around .8 amps so that should be more than enough to keep it juiced up until I need it.

Last edited:

lysol

Explorer
Still raking in more parts. I really like the volt meter I got for flushmounting to the outside of the case. Looks really good. I need to figure out what type of bolts/nuts I want to use. I was thinking maybe wingnuts but I can't see a situation where I'll have to take the battery out. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get them as tight using my fingers.

theksmith

Explorer
you mentioned sealing with Marine Goop... not sure if that is any different than regular/automotive Goop but i would advise using a silicone caulk or RTV type product instead. i used some Goop to seal around some external stuff on my rig and after about a year i noticed it had yellowed and was pretty hard. this was even in an area not directly exposed to sunlight. it hadn't cracked yet but i'm guessing it would get worse over time

lysol

Explorer
you mentioned sealing with Marine Goop... not sure if that is any different than regular/automotive Goop but i would advise using a silicone caulk or RTV type product instead. i used some Goop to seal around some external stuff on my rig and after about a year i noticed it had yellowed and was pretty hard. this was even in an area not directly exposed to sunlight. it hadn't cracked yet but i'm guessing it would get worse over time

I had figured... I will have to experiment a little with it. I was thinking of using it as more of a glue and then seal around it with silicone.

smoothisfast

Would love to see the end result when it is done.

I'm working on a battery generator and was able to get some good ideas off of your system.

I do have a few questions.

I plan to have my simple 12v AC adaptor go through the power input on my solar charger controller so that it could regulate the charge. That way I could just use a simple 12v AC adaptor or plug it into a car to charge.

Would this work?

smoothisfast

Been sourcing out some of the parts since this morning

Do you have a good place to by the 6/2 SJOOW wire? I found a Coleman Cable on amazon that has 250 feet for $118.

The weatherpack crimpers very in price from $19.99 to over $100.00. The reviews on the cheaper ones on amazon says they don't work well. Any suggestions on this?

lysol

Explorer
Would love to see the end result when it is done.

I'm working on a battery generator and was able to get some good ideas off of your system.

I do have a few questions.

I plan to have my simple 12v AC adaptor go through the power input on my solar charger controller so that it could regulate the charge. That way I could just use a simple 12v AC adaptor or plug it into a car to charge.

Would this work?

I'm not visualizing what you are saying.

Been sourcing out some of the parts since this morning

Do you have a good place to by the 6/2 SJOOW wire? I found a Coleman Cable on amazon that has 250 feet for $118.

The weatherpack crimpers very in price from $19.99 to over $100.00. The reviews on the cheaper ones on amazon says they don't work well. Any suggestions on this?

I think I'll be buying mine in bulk as well. I can't find shorter lengths anywhere online.

Just an FYI/update, my battery being about 16Ah will only like about 5 amps max being pumped into it so I won't be going over that anyway. This will limit my input watts to around 60. I'm sure I could get away with a 100 watt panel though as I won't get 60 watts out of a 60 watt panel. No panel is that efficient.

lysol

Explorer
I'm still not ready to assemble it yet. I'm still doing testing. I took my solar charger (in a bag) camping a couple weekends ago and I made about 2Ah for the day off my 20W panel. Still testing though. That 2Ah I made would power 1 of my 0.25Ah lantern lights for 8 hours. Pretty cool.

smoothisfast

You have a battery tender connected to the battery to charge your power pack using AC. You maybe able to connect a simple 12v AC power adaptor to the solar panel input on your MorningStar Sunsaver 10L. This way the MorningStar Sunsaver 10L control manages the charging of your battery. You could also plug the solar panel input to your cars cigarette adaptor 12v port to charge the power pack as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz