Roof rack and other lighting

wikid

Adventurer
I was asked by another member to start a thread about my lighting system . It's on a FJC, but many of this could be useful on most types of rigs

Where it begins is the design and implementation of my Roof Rack and how the lighting was designed

To start I have the Baja Racks Spylight system. Initially it was developed in my garage, then, with cooperation from Baja Racks, it is now in production for more than just the FJC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjFREV4eedo

The Spylight is complimented with a Baja Designs 40" Stealth Bar it is comprised of 20% fllood beam on the outside and 80% spot bean in the center. It fills out nicely and has very good distance .
with the combination of the Spylight System, the light can be adjusted up or down, which may be handy while looking farther up a hill, or to subdue the aim for other drivers in a group.

Here is a picture of it in the up position. Some modifications the the system were made after this pic, but it does the same thing

This is tucked in and away from harm. As you can see it stays level with the rack, and even is slightly hidden from plain site.

This is also available for the Jeep Wrangler, you will have to check with Baja Racks for other fitment

Roof wiring is the next subject to cover
I have seen many solution for putting the wires through the roof, but wasn't quite comfortable with some or most of them

I wanted to have a total wiring solution that I could easily unplug and remove without having to take everything apart
Here was the key
Its called a DeckSeal

The first picture shows the the rubber block that sits in a anodized housing the rubber block is about 3/4 inch thick and shaped like the the outer portioned, then tapered at the bottom.
The way it works is you drill the wire size through the rubber , push wire through then when you put the housing over the rubber block it compresses around the wire . This system is used in the high end boating industry

I have 3 cables with a plethora of wires through them. I am happy to report, they don't leak. Verified by 1 week, of almost solid rain when we went to Ouray Colorado
Next is the rest of the lighting on the roof

Here are some of the other lights in my plan
Baja Design S2's for side and rear lighting. I have 2-2-2 each side and the rear. They have a combination spot/flood pattern. This could be adjusted to all flood for good camp set up light

Mounted version

This will consume some time to get this all posted, so it will get continued

wikid

Adventurer
I am working on a way to pre-wire the rack without having to invade the frame. I also didn't want it to look like a bunch of wires, running all over the place

Here is the appearance I was going for. No wiring showing accept for the pigtail from the light to the connectors

more to come

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I like it, too!

The DeckSeal looks like what I've been looking for for my rack lighting.

Thanks for the tip!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Looks great! Question, are you drilling into the tubing and using a rubber grommet in the hole for the wire? Where did you get them?

wikid

Adventurer
I like it!

I like it, too!
Thanks

The DeckSeal looks like what I've been looking for for my rack lighting.

Thanks for the tip!
Yes I think it's one of the best solutions out for multiple wire runs

Looks great! Question, are you drilling into the tubing and using a rubber grommet in the hole for the wire? Where did you get them?
I was hoping to get a Deck Seal from Sierra Expeditions to get some pictures of it taken apart(since I didn't do that first) But, the rubber block is the total inside width,length height , of the housing. They actually recommend that you freeze the block to make it easier to drill through. Try to get a bit very close to the size of the wire/harness you are putting through it. If you cannot feed it through because it is too tight, you may need to open it up a little more . It literally squeezes whatever you put through it. I actually added a little black silicone to it, just to ensure it was sealed correctly.

Very cool setup.

nice idea
thank you

BrianTN

Adventurer
I like it. I'm looking at getting a DeckSeal but am having trouble finding it online. Where did you pick it up?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Drilling rubber

re: drilling the Deck Seal rubber block

I had a career in rubber R&D and manufacturing. On the R&D side we occasionally needed to drill rubber. Lessons learned:

(1) A twist style bit will just screw its way thru the rubber without making much of a hole. Instead use a Forstner style bit - it will actually cut and remove rubber.

(2) Use soapy water as a lube while drilling - you will get a cleaner hole and the bit will last longer.

(3) Freezing the rubber will help.

Jim

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Damn, you made me learn something new today. Had to google forstner bits. I never would have thought about freezing either. Thanks for the tips.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Damn, you made me learn something new today. Had to google forstner bits. I never would have thought about freezing either. Thanks for the tips.

That learning stuff is insidious - it can creep up on you when you least expect it. Despite my best efforts, it happens to me once in a while.

Should have added another item my list:

(4) Rubber is evil.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online