The War Wagon: A 2005 Toyota Tundra AC's transformation to Overlanding Rig

Derek24

Explorer
Nice! I remember that part! Now two tundras have been through there! I bet you had a great trip, I still think about the Mojave road, just not the drive down, god what a long PIA that was!

stclair

Adventurer
Man, I wish that vanity didn't factor in as much as it does when I think of doing things to this truck. Preaching to the choir, here, but we all know that works well>looks cool. Luckily for us that most of the time, works well=looks cool.

So I finally got my Icon/Camburg/Deaver suspension on, along with Wheeler's steelies sporting Cooper ST Maxx tires. I've gotta say it looks great...but is like riding on rocks. Not so sure about looking good instead of feeling good right now. Hoping once I load the truck with the FWC in a few weeks it will smooth out a bit. TBD.

stclair

Adventurer
Stclair I think it's time for some pics. Let's see this tundra you've been talking about

Figured I'll get a picture or 2 once the FWC is on it. Thinking I might air down to 10psi until then so my fillings don't fall out.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Nice! I remember that part! Now two tundras have been through there! I bet you had a great trip, I still think about the Mojave road, just not the drive down, god what a long PIA that was!
We did west to east, and the drive to Barstow wasn't terrible. The drive from Avi was a major SOB, though. I think I'd rather spend a couple more days doubling back to Afton Canyon than to do 10 hours at a stretch again. Yuck.
Figured I'll get a picture or 2 once the FWC is on it. Thinking I might air down to 10psi until then so my fillings don't fall out.
We want pics, dude! I think you'll be okay once you weigh it down, though. What'd that Deaver spring pack end up setting you back, if you don't mind telling?

Derek24

Explorer
So I finally got my Icon/Camburg/Deaver suspension on, along with Wheeler's steelies sporting Cooper ST Maxx tires. I've gotta say it looks great...but is like riding on rocks. Not so sure about looking good instead of feeling good right now. Hoping once I load the truck with the FWC in a few weeks it will smooth out a bit. TBD.

That's weird. I had the same setup and the ride was great!

stclair

Adventurer
That's weird. I had the same setup and the ride was great!

Growing on me. Actually seems to be smoothing out a bit, or maybe I'm getting used to it. Not much in the way of power loss, but we'll see in a couple weeks with the added weight of a FWC. Spare fit in the stock location, so think I'll scrap the swing away plan. Still want to carry 2 cans though. Only other mods will be adding my ARB compressor and RD129 locker, and MAYBE gears. Oh, and may also upgrade brakes. Otherwise, a light bar for my Lightforce 170s upfront and done. I'd love a new front bumper, and maybe a winch but starting to think that money would be better spent traveling. Unless....someone comes out with a nice plate type option that's not too pricey.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Unless....someone comes out with a nice plate type option that's not too pricey.

How's about Blue Lake Offroad?

I did my taxes and am using a small percentage of my return to finish the suspension work on the truck. When I'm unloaded (and carrying the RTT and Thule rack, obvi), the rear sits 1/2" lower than the front. When I load down, I'm losing another 2" or so in ride height and clearance. That's a no-go. I considered an AAL kit, a custom spring pack from someone like Deaver, and some Air Helper Springs from Firestone. I chose the Firestone option.

One of the limitations of these air helper springs, as many of you know, is that they require travel limiter straps to keep from tearing air bags when the rear axle articulates to full downtravel. Another solution exists in the form of Daystar's Air Bag Cradles. Good feedback on the internet for both the Firestone kit and the Daystar cradles, so I'm feeling confident in this expenditure.

And for what it's worth, I chose to buy these parts from Summit Racing Equipment because they had both parts, charge no sales tax, and have free shipping on orders over $99. Also, the parts will be at my doorstep by tomorrow or the day after. Kind of a winner.

Greenyota

Observer
There are some nightmare reviews from these guys on Tundrasolutions. I'm personally thinking about going this route- http://nwtrailinnovations.com/bumpe...undra-bumpers/toyota-tundra-2003-2006-bumpers

I've emailed allprooffroad last month and they have First Gen Tundra bumpers in their plans. They've already made a rack system for them and sliders.
Email:
"We do plan on making bumpers for the first gen tundras but we are a few months out until we start proto typing on them."

stclair

Adventurer
We did west to east, and the drive to Barstow wasn't terrible. The drive from Avi was a major SOB, though. I think I'd rather spend a couple more days doubling back to Afton Canyon than to do 10 hours at a stretch again. Yuck.

We want pics, dude! I think you'll be okay once you weigh it down, though. What'd that Deaver spring pack end up setting you back, if you don't mind telling?

Oh, forgot to answer your question....$955 to my door in VA. I dealt with Jeff, nice guy, and he took all the numbers I gave him and turned that into a nice new spring pack.

Greenyota

Observer
I talked to Allprooffroad a month ago and they're going to get a tundra bumper out in the next 6 months or so. They already have sliders and a rack system for the first gen.
Here's the email:
"We do plan on making bumpers for the first gen tundras but we are a few months out until we start proto typing on them."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke