Equipt's Chaser Overhaul

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Tub progress and wheels

The Equipt Chaser is seeing some good progress this week. AT was finally able to spray the line-x on the tub in the locations we wanted. They shot the bottom and front faces of the tub and nose box, as well as the front faces of both lids. The interior of the wheel wells and the tub itself also received a coating. We also were able to source a couple matching 4Runner rims for the frame (Thanks Pat!). They tell me we should see the trailer start to actually look like a trailer again real soon. Here's a couple shots.

Chaser frame and wheels.JPGTub with Line x.JPG

Cheers,

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
No problem Paul...it's all about customer service!..:ylsmoke:

Really looking forward to the tub placement, and all the other goodies!...this where it really gets exciting, and a rolling chassis just gets the ball really rolling!.

Martyn and Mario are working their usual magic, and those frame upgrades are just sick!

Next couple of days are going to be like Christmas morning...best of luck with it.

Equipt

Chaser Final Assembly

Equipt Chaser 2.0 Final Assembly

There has been an incredible amount of activity on the overhaul of the Equipt Chaser 2.0 in the last 2 weeks. A steady stream of work has brought the trailer back to life, and ready for action.

The tub made it to the frame, joining the new nose box. Existing water tank and Scepter fuel cans were re-installed. The nose box received quite of bit of modification. We re-installed the 110V charger and shore plug, as well as 2 - 12V outlets and the National Luna Dual Battery Flush Mount Monitor. The monitor gives me a visual reading for the 2 Deka Group 31 AGM batteries inside the box. We also added a 2 wire port for plugging in our 65W solar panel. The lid was finished in matching silver with the front line-x coated. It also received a new set of Adventure Trailers load bars wide enough for the Eezi-Awn Globe Trotter to mount to it. Inside the lid on the angled area closest to the opening is a National Luna 9 LED hard wire light that illuminates the tub interior. Inside the tube went a new rubber liner and a National Luna Stainless Steel 74L Dual Door Fridge/Freezer, replacing the aluminum 40L that was in there. No excuse for lack of cooling space now. Oh, and a little bottle opening love too.

Chaser Assembled 1.JPG74L in Chaser.JPGBottle Opener.JPG

On the back, the swing out was re-attached. The swing out supports our Alu-Box kitchen, which included a pull-out Partner's 2 Burner Stove and all of our necessary kitchen gear. The rear of the tub sports a new plate location, up and out of the way of bushes passing by. And it has a plate light too. AT also installed a reverse LED light which is independently powered from the onboard batteries as well. Diamond plating covers the outriggers around the new frame. A new 5 lb propane bottle sits passenger rear, and nestles in between the fender shelf and swing out perfectly.

Chaser Assembled 2.JPGChaser Tailgate.JPGswing-out Kitchen.JPG

We added an Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack Table Mount to the bottom of the load bars to store a new K9 Stainless Steel Table in the large size. The table can now be locked in place. The locking mechanism needed a little modification to work in this application. It is designed to attach to the edge of a K9 roof rack specifically, but the AT guys found an ingenious way to make it work.

Chaser Table Mount.JPGChaser Table and Mount.JPG

The final push was to re-mount the Eezi-Awn Globe Trotter Tent to the top of the load bars. It looks great up there too. We took it up a notch by adding a couple National Luna LED lights to the tent itself. There is a 21 LED yellow lens light attached to the bottom of the tent by the kitchen area to provide dinner prep light. And we installed a 15 LED Aluminum Chassis Ultra Light to the interior tent frame close to the ladder to light up the inside of the Globe Trotter. Both are wired to a 2 wire 12V port located driver's side front, next to the load bar. That allows us to disconnect it for transport and removal if necessary.

Chaser Assembled 3.JPGChaser Kitchen at night.JPG

We took the trailer for a shake down cruise this weekend, out with some friends up near Williams AZ. I have to say that our now new Chaser 2.0 is better than ever. It tows like a dream with the new TAAS suspension, matches up to our 2013 Silver 4Runner perfectly, and has a bunch of new improvements that make camping with it all the more enjoyable.

I would like to thank the entire AT team for their tireless efforts and unending patience in putting this project together. I bought my Chaser in March of 2007. It served me well for 6-1/2 years, and now it's ready for another decade or so. Next stop is So Cal Mountain Rendezvous. If you're going, stop by and check it out. I will continue to post photos of the old girl out doing her thing. We can't wait for our next adventure.

Cheers,

brentbba

Explorer
Look forward to checking it all out at Mountain Rendezvous Paul! At a minimum, I may just have to replace my little battery for my electric brakes with a full size battery box/battery to power lighting in my Globetrotter!

Equipt

So Cal Mountain Rendezvous

I had the opportunity to join a rather large bunch of like minded fanatical types in the mountains close to Big Bear CA for the SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. It is a gathering put on by the Dave Bennett and his friends at American Adventurist. We really had a great time. Plenty of folks to talk to, trail runs, dutch oven competition and a raffle. A real treat for the end of this season.

It was also the first public outing for the Equipt Chaser 2.0. Here are a few photos.

IMG_0905.JPGIMG_0959.JPG

We had quite a few folks come take a look at the renovations. I am really happy how it all came together.

Cheers,

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Truck and trailer are looking great Paul. The color match and line x look really good next to the 4R.

How are you securing your fridge to the chaser? Did you add any attachment points?

I need to figure out a way to lash my load down. Some of my gear is getting hammered by the bolts at the seams of the the bottom of the tub.

Equipt

Hey Mark,

Great to hear from you. My Chaser is usually so full of gear that none of it has a chance to move. The fridge is tied down though. National Luna does make base plates for their fridge line. The base has 4 stainless mushroom heads on it that match to 4 keyhole notches in the feet of the fridge. Set the fridge on the base, slide it laterally, and lock in place with a couple spring latches. It hold in there very well. That is how we held the previous 40L fridge in place. This larger model has a more custom approach. We didn't have a NL base available, so we improvised a solution. AT installed 4 nutzerts in the keyhole notches in the bottom of the fridge. They templated a piece of baltic birch to match the footprint of the fridge and drilled holes to match the nutzerts. Then they matched the holes previously used for the 40L fridge and inserted threaded T-nuts in the wood base. A coat of Line-X, the attached the base to the fridge and attached the fridge and base through the existing holes in the floor of the Chaser. Solid as a rock with no tie downs.

My Chaser used to have a series of tie down point arranged in the bottom of the bed and attached the hardware that mates the floor to the sides. They were galvanized flat steel plates with holes to match the hardware in the tub and a bigger hole on top to catch a tie down strap or hook. Worked pretty well. Another option would be the aircraft tie down rail bolted in the floor.

Cheers,

cruisertoy

Explorer
Looking good Paul. As always, your stuff is top notch. Miss seeing you around in the Valley up here.

Trent Taylor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz