Does anyone know about ARK Portable battery boxes and where to buy them

Hi WhileInTheWild
the Ark Pak will charge via your normal 110volt power supply at home and also via your 12 volt cig socket in your car, the 24 volts is the OUtPUT not the input.

So I would need to connect my solar panel (that already has a charge controller) up to the DC to DC charger in order to charge the ArkPak or can you bypass the inbuilt charger by connecting directly to the external terminals?

Does anyone know if the DC to DC charger has a low voltage cutoff so if you hook it up so it is always on it doesn't drain the source battery? I currently run my 45qt Whynter fridge full time in my XJ hooked up to a YellowTop battery that is my starter and that works great as long as I drive the jeep a couple of times a day otherwise the low voltage cutoff kicks in on the fridge and the temp creeps up.

Am thinking I could power the fridge via a 120ah in an ArkPak and hook the DC to DC charger up to the always on accessory port and I would be golden as long as it has a low voltage cutoff so my starter battery doesn't drain.

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
So I would need to connect my solar panel (that already has a charge controller) up to the DC to DC charger in order to charge the ArkPak or can you bypass the inbuilt charger by connecting directly to the external terminals?

Hi WhileInTheWild

this means you can connect directly to the battery or the external terminals on the left hand side and even via the Anderson Plug on the right hand side as well, when you want to charge up by solar.

do not connect to the Dc to DC charger it requires a constant current to work.

Regards

Brett from Ark

Brett From Ark

Supporting Sponsor - ARK
Does anyone know if the DC to DC charger has a low voltage cutoff so if you hook it up so it is always on it doesn't drain the source battery? I currently run my 45qt Whynter fridge full time in my XJ hooked up to a YellowTop battery that is my starter and that works great as long as I drive the jeep a couple of times a day otherwise the low voltage cutoff kicks in on the fridge and the temp creeps up.

Am thinking I could power the fridge via a 120ah in an ArkPak and hook the DC to DC charger up to the always on accessory port and I would be golden as long as it has a low voltage cutoff so my starter battery doesn't drain.

Hi WhileInTheWild

the Dc to Dc car charger does not have a low voltage cut out, if your cig socket is constantly live then you must take out the Dc to Dc car charger so it does not drain your starting battery. your particular use will work fine as long as you follow some guide lines, that is plug in your 45qt fridge into the Ark Pak, have the voltage cut out on your 45 qt fridge set to low NOT high, and when you are driving have it plug into your cig socket in your car, then when you stop driving you would take out the cig socket this will stop your starting battery from being drained.

Regards

Brett from Ark

Thanks Brett, I went ahead and placed an order for the ArkPak Bundle yesterday as I can live with the DC to DC charger not having a low voltage cutoff but that would be a great feature to add. I can't wait to take it on a trip!

My ArkPak should get here on Friday! :) I think I will connect the DC-DC charger for it up to my keyed on accessory port (I need to double check if that is rated the same as the always on though) so it charges whenever I'm driving without having to remember to plug it in every time. I've been home sick and with not driving the jeep the last couple of days even with the YellowTop it has gotten too low to run the fridge so the ArkPak should alleviate that. I'm hoping the Anderson Plug on my Renogy Solar Suitcase is compatible with the one on the ArkPak as that will make charging it at camp (or just in the driveway) super easy.

Gah! Just got my ArkPak but my Exide Stowaway Deep Cycle Group 31 battery doesn't fit as the terminal posts are too high and hit the lid preventing it from closing properly, that certainly put a dampener on things. Now I need to also invest in a new battery. :(

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
My Diehard PM-1 31 series AGM fits fine. Is there a spacer on the Exide that is preventing it from fitting in the box? What is the height of the battery with posts and I can check it against mine?

Define spacer, what would I be looking for? This is a 31MDCST and I can see marks on the inside of the lid where the terminal posts are rubbing so I know that is the issue and not the cables getting in the way.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I can't seem to find the dimesions online for the 31MDST. it appears like it will fit although the terminals appear to be on the long side. There doesn't appear to be a spacer on the bottom but it can't hurt to check. There is usually a snap on tray at the bottom of a battery that can be used as a spacer in certain installations. If you could send me the height of the battery as well as battery and terminals I'll compare it to my Arkpak.

Thanks but I just went ahead and invested in the Sears Diehard Platinum 31M that a lot of the folks have in this thread, I just hope the price comes down within the window so I can get some cash back as it wasn't on sale at all. I had borrowed that other battery from our inflatable boat's trolling motor anyway so I was eventually going to need another, this just accelerated the process.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Can't go wrong with the PM-1. I have it as my starting battery in my FJ and a second one in my Arkpak. The only downside is the price but it is still cheaper than the next best option. Good luck with your setup and Merry Christmas!

When would you turn off the ArkPak (the screen/controller not the isolator), when it is use and not charging via the internal charge controller? Does leaving it on have any negative impacts beyond a slight battery draw? I have mine hooked up to my fridge in the back and it gets charged via the DC-DC charger when driving so should I keep leaving it on? Otherwise I think I would need to turn it on while driving for the charge controller, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior