Russian off-road vehicles that are in production today.

Drabadum

Briefly about russian off-road trucks in production.

GAZ Gazelle/Sobol
Very popular commercial truck and bus.
Since 1994, the present generation was released in 2013.
Engines: diesel 2.8L 120 hp or gasoline 2.9L 115 hp.
Body on frame, full-time 4WD, low-gear row.
Front and rear rigid axles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZelle

960.jpg

source: http://www.drive2.ru/cars/gaz/sobol/sobol/yogurt307/

GAZ 33088 Sadko
Since 1996.
Diesel engine 4.7L 119 hp.
Part-time 4x4, low-gear row.
Front and rear rigid axles.
Price is about 1 000 000 roubles ($30000, 27.08.2013).

gaz_33088_sadko_6.jpg

gaz_33088_sadko_ralli_shelkovyj_put_2.jpg

o_1.jpg

source of the last pic: http://www.camper-service.ru/catalog/gaz_sadko_avtodom-3.html

URAL 4320
Since 1977
Part-time 6x6, low-gear row.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural-4320

autowp.ru_ural_4320-31_1.jpg

333284_505702924.jpg

KAMAZ
Wide range of models
Engine i.e. Turbodiesel 10.9L 240 hp
Transmission 4x4, 6x6, 8x8

kamaz_53501_mustang_2.jpg

kamaz_43501_mustang_5.jpg

autowp.ru_kamaz_4326_vk_8.jpg

o_219.jpg

source of the last pic: http://www.camper-service.ru/catalog/kamaz_43118-20.html

Silant
The most modern truck manufacturer
3.3L diesel 75 hp
4x4

ohot_300_4.jpg

agroru_com.jpg

homeyclaus

Any relation between the old Niva and the Yugo?

Cool vehicles for the price.

No.

The Lada Niva is a license-built Fiat Pantera, with some modifications to account for Russian manufacturing realities, like cast-iron front lower A arms and stuff. They sold them in Canada from 1991 until about 1994. The problem wasn't the quality per-se, just the qualities such a vehicle tends to have when made by Russians for the Russian environment where you need a vehicle like that. Even in Canada, most people don't need to be able to make their own spare parts with a lathe.

In Canada it really didn't compete well against the likes of the Suzuki Samurai and Sidekick, which were scarcely more expensive, fuel injected, had more power, and generally drove nicer when you weren't off-road.

762X39

Explorer
No.

The Lada Niva is a license-built Fiat Pantera, with some modifications to account for Russian manufacturing realities, like cast-iron front lower A arms and stuff. They sold them in Canada from 1991 until about 1994. The problem wasn't the quality per-se, just the qualities such a vehicle tends to have when made by Russians for the Russian environment where you need a vehicle like that. Even in Canada, most people don't need to be able to make their own spare parts with a lathe.

In Canada it really didn't compete well against the likes of the Suzuki Samurai and Sidekick, which were scarcely more expensive, fuel injected, had more power, and generally drove nicer when you weren't off-road.
The Niva was sold in Canada from about 1980 and possibly earlier (I owned an 84 model) till 96 or 97. It was purpose designed and built in Russia with a SOHC based on the Fiat 4 cylinder DOHC.The transmission was basically a Fiat 4 speed (mine had the 4 speed) although the later models were 5 speed (the fifth speed was an add on and crappy, very problematic).The rear diff was also Fiat (front diff and axle were ifs but the r & p were the same if I remember right). The early Ladas were basically Fiats (they bought the tooling etc from Fiat) but the Niva was (is) all Russian. As a purpose designed full time 4wd suv I found it to be the best of the bunch when I purchased mine. Short on creature comforts with an emphasis on utility and capability.:coffee:

mr_ed

Toolbag
Love this thread! I really like how so many of these manufacturers retain the older body styling, in addition to the more rugged, older-style drivetrain. So much better looking then so many of the streamlined, slicked-down plastic contraption we must settle for over here! Thanks for posting!

Cheers!

Ed

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

serugej

Hi there!
Some people say that UAZ Patriot is a piece of junk. But some people do a great things on it.
Like expedition from Moscow to Singapore.

map_msk_singapore_s.jpg

Dake21

Adventurer
Yeah I saw one of those lada niva on sale once. I was sold very quickly.

BOPOH what's the vehicle in the middle? Looks like a unibody design?

Blue Sirocco

I loved my old Niva. We got shiploads of them here in New Zealand as an exchange deal for butter - weird but true. The farmers loved the low low ratio drive to get up the very steep hills & of course the price.

The things I remember about my one was the really heavy throttle spring - had to wedge the lower leg sideways & brace the knee against the door on long trips to keep the power on. Also the bang as the rubber 'donut'. The lack of power never worried me as we sat rumbling along at 80kph

dr_r2r

Observer
Just finishing my travel from Belarus and will be coming home to US mainland tomorrow. Took some pics of random cars. Unfortunately, my camera is either in my wife's bag or is low on power whenever I encounter some really cool off road cars. it's a really cool place not to mention the gorgeous village girls that you will see everyday.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles