An Oztent to complement my Kamper, maybe even replace the RTT

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
RV5 arrived today as well from Family Tent Camping. +1 on their awesome service.

The stated dimensions of the packed RV5 are spot on at 6'6". I was actually hoping they were being conservative. The RV5 is about 1 inch too long packed to fit straight in lengthwise in the back of my Dodge shortbed with the shell. :( At an angle it fits but not how I wanted. Guess I'm gonna have to rethink/redesign the packing setup. The adventure continues.

Haven't set it up yet but will post some pics after this weekend's trip.

Romer

Adventurer
Just got back from a fun weekend in Ouray. Took the Kamper along with the Oztent for my daughter and her boyfriend

The Oztent fit nicely in the back of my 100 series Landcruiser, it does require the drivers side rear seat to put down, limiting it to 3 passengers, but it was just me. My daughter has her own landcruiser :D

It fit nicely with my Kamper and I can even see putting another one at the other end should I need it. The light at the top is an LED light strip. Next time I will add a strip of Velcro to the top of the oztendt so my Kampers canopy can attach more securely. It did fit just right and the rain rolled off the canopy down the back of the Oztent leaving us all dry and comfortable. The tent to put up in 30 seconds and another minute to stake it down.

It also met my other criteria of holding two cots. I wasn't able to get the Oztent stretchers in time so I bought the REI comfort cots on sale 30% off. These are wide and much longer than a normal cost and two fit in here nicely

Attachments

• Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-001.jpg
    Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-003.jpg
    Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-003.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-005.jpg
    Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-005.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-006.jpg
    Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-006.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 35
  • Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-007.gif
    Ouray-Kens-Camera-2013-007.gif
    97.4 KB · Views: 210
Just got back from a fun weekend in Ouray. Took the Kamper along with the Oztent for my daughter and her boyfriend

The Oztent fit nicely in the back of my 100 series Landcruiser, it does require the drivers side rear seat to put down, limiting it to 3 passengers, but it was just me. My daughter has her own landcruiser :D

It fit nicely with my Kamper and I can even see putting another one at the other end should I need it. The light at the top is an LED light strip. Next time I will add a strip of Velcro to the top of the oztendt so my Kampers canopy can attach more securely. It did fit just right and the rain rolled off the canopy down the back of the Oztent leaving us all dry and comfortable. The tent to put up in 30 seconds and another minute to stake it down.

It also met my other criteria of holding two cots. I wasn't able to get the Oztent stretchers in time so I bought the REI comfort cots on sale 30% off. These are wide and much longer than a normal cost and two fit in here nicely

Nice set up!

Hope to be able to purchase a RV-4 soon. Waiting on my dirtbike to sell.

How did you like the comfort cot? Could you sleep on your side with the way it sags in the middle? How much usual length does it have. I am 6'6"; think I will fit? How did they fit in the tent? Touch either side?

Thanks!

Joe

Romer

Adventurer
I slept in my Kimberley and the big foam mattress. My daughter and her boyfriend really liked it and said it was OK on their sides. The Cot is one of the longest out there. I wanted the Oztent Gecko stretcher but couldn't get them in time. These were on sale for 3)% off at REI and the most highly rated cot via customer reviews on REI sites and others. The negative everyone gives is that they are big and bulky and they are, but I fit the tent, my gear and two cots in the back of my cruiser

The cots fit pretty well. The foot may have touched the rear, but the front had a gap to the front door.

I slept in my Kimberley and the big foam mattress. My daughter and her boyfriend really liked it and said it was OK on their sides. The Cot is one of the longest out there. I wanted the Oztent Gecko stretcher but couldn't get them in time. These were on sale for 3)% off at REI and the most highly rated cot via customer reviews on REI sites and others. The negative everyone gives is that they are big and bulky and they are, but I fit the tent, my gear and two cots in the back of my cruiser

The cots fit pretty well. The foot may have touched the rear, but the front had a gap to the front door.

Thanks.

Saw them at REI. That is a great price. I slept on a traditional cot for 7 months overseas and never had a problem. Was just worried about the sag in the middle. Hammocks always bothered me because of that. I may have to get one and if I don't like it use REI's great return policy.

Romer

Adventurer
maybe this angle will give you a better idea

Attachments

• Ouray Kens Camera 2013 004.jpg
    Ouray Kens Camera 2013 004.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 25
That's great! Thanks.

Can't get too much longer in there huh?

As I am getting older I am getting more and more tired of sleeping on an uncomfortable ground and changing clothes/putting on boots while lying on my back. Look forward to be able to sit down on something to do that.

Romer

Adventurer
Thanks Dutch. Just put new tires on it and got rid of the 12 year old factory tires

Here is another angle I forgot to post

I'll work the canopy to Oztent interface better next time (likely with Velcro) now that I know what I am dealing with

Attachments

• Ouray Kens Camera 2013 008.jpg
    Ouray Kens Camera 2013 008.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 18

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I like your style...

Romer,

I have had to do the same with my trailer set up. Currently, I have an Outlander Sherpa II with a Mombasa RTT. I found that my wife was not liking traversing down the RTT ladder for midnight potty runs...Thus, I went with an RV-5 (the Master suite) on the ground. I put the PETT toilet in the space provided by the deluxe side panels. This system works well for our family.

I have found that I can cobble up an attachment between the RTT and the front panel of the RV-5 with various bungee cords...

Well done.

Regards,

BWJ

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Thanks Dutch. Just put new tires on it and got rid of the 12 year old factory tires

Here is another angle I forgot to post

I'll work the canopy to Oztent interface better next time (likely with Velcro) now that I know what I am dealing with

You'll find an extra zipper on top of the front edge of the RV-5 (I'm guess for the rain fly, but not sure as I don't have one), that you could make up a number of things to fit - a narrow piece of material that connects to the underside of your Kamper canopy in several ways (Velcro, but also a another zipper or some sort of soft sail trac) then to the RV-5. Any local canopy place can make up something very easily and inexpensively.
If you have/buy the side panels, then the fly/roof section has a similar zipper that OzTent makes a connector to fit onto a sail trac. I think they call it the CaraVan connector. This may or may not fit the zipper on the front edge of the tent (but then the fly is pretty useless at that point). Seems like a canopy shop could also make a short zipper-to-sail trac piece to use the Caravan connector and add a zipper on the other side.
Found a pic:
OZTENT-RV5-Caravan-Connector.jpg

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Took the RV5 on my maiden voyage and was the envy of my peers. All around as expected. Fast and easy set up and ample room for the Byer Easy Cots I am using. I only set up one as I was running solo this weekend. I placed it close to one side and the fit was tight but easily doable. If there was condensation, moisture transfer would have occurred. Moving the cot 8" toward the center of the tent would give more room as the length is greater where the rear stakeouts are positioned, maybe an additional 3"-4"? Two cots of this size (78" length) will fit great and allow plenty of space in between for a table, etc.

Pico Oz Tent 001 (1024x768).jpg
The camp.

Pico Oz Tent 002 (1024x768).jpg
Byer Easy Cot with 0 deg bag on REI 3.5" Camp Bed Pad
I also dropped in a 6'x8' outdoor carpet from Home Depot ($17) as a floor saver inside.

Pico Oz Tent 003 (1024x768).jpg
Detail of clearance at the foot of the cot to back of tent.

So if you were planning on using a cot then you would recommend a rv-5 over a rv-4?

Had planned on a rv-3 but then decided the 4 would be better. After reading your review I am thinking the 5 may be the best bet. I am 6'6" and may need the extra length. From what I can tell the 5 is 8" longer and 8" wider but at the same weight and packed length. It would be just me and the girlfriend but I don't want to regret getting too small of a tent.

So what do you all think rv-4 vs rv-5?

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
So if you were planning on using a cot then you would recommend a rv-5 over a rv-4?

So what do you all think rv-4 vs rv-5?
I was faced with the same decision. For the minor variation in cost and packed size I opted for the RV5. Glad I did. The additional 8" is worth it. I'm not certain but I don't think the RV4 has the additional stake outs on the back wall, its last wall pitch being steeper to the ground than the RV5. The RV5 has two stake out points below the back window near the window corners. This pulls the back wall taught and increases the usable space. I'm 6'2" and it is close. I'd only be concerned in weather where condensation was possible, otherwise slight contact with the tent walls is pretty much a non issue.

Romer

Adventurer
Ouray Kens Camera 2013 004.jpgI had no problems with the long and wide REI cots in the RV4. It's 81.5" long and 33.5" wide. I had two going down the length. I put the head near the door so when I sit up and get up I don't have to think about where the slope is

On my RV4, there were 4 (maybe 5 I'm old) stake points on the back and you need to use them to get full use of the extra space

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94