1973 Series III LWB

dibsen

Adventurer
I decided to start a new thred since I am no longer getting ready for a trip to mexico. I just want to get my landy back on the road, so here is what needs to happen.

replace front brake shoes
rebuild front swivel balls
replace leaf springs and shocks
paint the frame (I am open to suggestions here, what is the easiest way to clean it up and prevent rust without removing the body)
replace engine gaskets
replace all wiring

I was getting ready to start tearing down, I got the front left wing off and now I am wondering if I need to go full "frame off". This is my first, I guess you could call it a restoration, but I am not trying to make her look like new. I would love to but I don't feel like I have the time, money or skill. The one thing I am thinking is, if I just get the new parts on, I can always go back later and go a little further.

This is how she sits right now
IMG_1110.jpg

dibsen

Adventurer
Some things I would like to do in the future but are not nessasary to get her back on the road include (but are not limited to):

increase shock travle
high mount the altinator
be able to go topless for the warm months, here in Florida, thats most of the time

Arlo

Adventurer
Remove all of the inner plates, so you'll have a look on top to the frame.

And it will be a very strange noise inside the car when driving! :smiley_drive:

15550090kw.jpg

I prefere wax for the frame.

dibsen

Adventurer
nice fuse box!

How does the wax go on? Spray, rub? They used it in the UK but I haven't really looked for it here.

dibsen

Adventurer
OK, I experimented with a small section, I took the frame down to bare metal, primed and sprayed a coat of gloss black. and that is what I would like the frame to look like. But I don't have the time or the patience to remove the whole body, grind the frame and paint the whole thing. I'm not even sure I am going to remove the other wing. I just want my new parts on and I want to re-do the wiring.

I miss driving my landy

dibsen

Adventurer
Well, progress today was slow, as usual. I had a hard time getting the drum off. The bolts that hold it to the hub were a PITA! I started to get a little radical, I tryed to weld one of my old ubolts onto it so I could get some real torque on it. No luck there. I ended up cutting part of the bolt off with a dremel. I managed to trash the garage pretty good, so tomorrow before I get started disassembling the brakes, I need to clean up before I start losing things.

IMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1116.jpg

dibsen

Adventurer
Buy a sand blaster. Just be careful where you point it. Should make quick work.

could I blast the frame with the body still on? I don't think a few more drainage holes will be a big deal if I hit the body with the sand blaster. What is the clean up for that like? Seems like Id have a pretty big mess afterwards.

flipstah

Leaks.
could I blast the frame with the body still on? I don't think a few more drainage holes will be a big deal if I hit the body with the sand blaster. What is the clean up for that like? Seems like Id have a pretty big mess afterwards.

I'm also contemplating this method but people have suggested to just find a chemical that will remove rust and/or stop it. I found POR15 + top coat or this as possible options,

http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_how_to_stop_rust.htm

dibsen

Adventurer
I found a chemical at Ace hardware yesterday that is supposed to turn rust into a base primer for paint or undercoat. Onyly thing about using something like that is I think the surface will be very rough after you apply the chemical. but I guess it is a good alterative if you don't want to blast or grind.

bit of progress the last two days

front suspension all buttoned up
IMG_1124.jpg

here is a pic of the parabolic leaf with the old leaf pack
IMG_1121.jpg

After seeing how much smaller the parabolics were, I was a little worried that the landy would sit lower. Turns out the old springs were so rusted and worn that she sits a little higher.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Couple the new springs with new seats and your spine will soothe your worries with non-jarring back pain of relief.

dibsen

Adventurer
I'm starting to wonder how much extra weight I'm caring around in rust and dirt, then the several layers of paint slopped on top of all that.

Contractor

One of my brake bleeder screws is stripped and needs to be replaced. I looked on rovers north but didn't see anything. found this with a google search:
http://www.bpnorthwest.com/land-rover/series-i-iii/braking.html?mode=list

Can anyone confirm that is the right size? 3/8 x 24
and does Auto Zone carry that sort of thing? checked Auto Zones' site and they have 3/8x24 for $2.50

Auto Zone carries them and I'm pretty sure 3/8 x 24 is the right size.......it's the only part Auto Zone carries.

Also, back to your drum issue......if you put a 3/8 bolt into the hole in the side of the drum (that looks like it's missing) and turn it will back it off the shoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online