300Tdi question

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Last week I had the front cover replaced on my 300 TDi. At the same time I had the 3 silicone hoses installed. Since then whenever I excelerate I can hear what I can only describe as a tinny whooshing sound. It seems like air is getting in somewhere but I don't see anything that looks out of place. It sounds louder up until about 80kps when overdrive kicks in when you can still hear it but it is less loud. The truck doesn't appear to be running differently and the mileage still seems to be around 29-30 mpg. Any ideas.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Sure sounds like boost pressure leaking out of one of the turbo hoses to me. Examine your entire pressure line. the hoses on the intercooler in particular need to be really tight. also make sure that there are no bungs or taps on the intake manifold missing their plugs or hoses (eg line to boost gauge)

overlander

Expedition Leader
Also check the wastegate line than runs from wastegate around the front to you injection pump boost diaphragm. I've had that slip off before, and you still get normal boost, but your injection pump doesn't get a boost signal, and the result is a sound like you've described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94