The Great Game Expedition - Overland Across Central Asia 2013

Judoka

Learning To Live
If it was all pretty places and interesting faces it would be less than an ADVENTURE!:arabia: You may well look back upon this time as the most memorable and rewarding of the journey. Keep your chin up and keep sharing, because we are truely enjoying your report.

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Iran Update

Hi All,

Here is the link to my recent post on my woes in Iran. http://bigoadventures.com/?p=3114

Disaster Strikes in Iran, The Nightmare before Xmas (in Zahedan) & The 6 Disciples of Boris.

I'm getting close to the end of my visa and hopefully close to fixing the problem here in Tehran. I'll post the update from my website when it goes live.

Jonny

Last edited:

Wainiha

Explorer
I'll say it again. You have courage travelling that area of the world alone and not speaking their language.

How are you and Boris doing?

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Hello All,

A Happy New Year from Dogubayazit in Turkey.

Looks like I'm out of the Iranian fire and into the 'Dog'ubayazit box. Haha. Sorry poor joke but it made me laugh.

Well I've finally made it out of Iran. It wasn't quite the way I'd planned it.

With a 3rd gearbox failure in 5 weeks it was time try and find another solution. So after sleeping in the car again I was picked up by my trusty recovery truck driver Amir and we headed northwest 300kms to the border with Turkey. At 5pm today in a first for the expedition I pushed Boris over the border into Turkey near Dogubayazit. Not exactly a triumphant entry / exit but successful nonetheless.

Now the word is out and I'm trying to source a new gearbox system, a new mechanics and a truck transporter (to wherever the mechanic is) Erzurum, Anakara and Istanbul are the likely options, with Istanbul being the favourite.

How long will I be in Turkey is difficult to predict. My lonely planet says its not so straightforward for me to leave without Boris, even temporally.

It looks like all those fans that were getting worried their daily fix of expedition drama was going to end have had a reprieve. I think its safe to say I will not be making it back for the 11th of January anymore. I suggest you all put January 18th in your diary for the time being. And perhaps the 25th the way things have been going.

I will updated you all as the adventure continues...

Big O, Boris and Kiwi Ted

Meanwhile here is the latest blog from Iran.

Merry Flippin Xmas - A Letter From Boris

And a picture of the crew taken at 2am the morning the gearbox failed for the 3rd time!!

The Crew at 2am in Iran.jpg

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Can anybody recommend a reliable mechanic in Greece? And Turkey Istanbul while I'm asking.

Due to Turkish customs regulations I can not leave Turkey without my car unless I leave it with customs. Suffice to say I can't then get it fixed while I'm out of the country. As I might have to return to the UK getting my car into the EU (ie Greece) is an option I'm considering.

It also means less hassles with freighting my secondhand parts to an EU country rather than Turkey which could be a little unpredictable time and cost wise with respect to customs clearance.

I'm currently looking into freight options to Greece as a result and thus the need for a mechanic.

grogie

Like to Camp
Hi All,

Here is the link to my recent post on my woes in Iran. http://bigoadventures.com/?p=3114

Disaster Strikes in Iran, The Nightmare before Xmas (in Zahedan) & The 6 Disciples of Boris.

I'm getting close to the end of my visa and hopefully close to fixing the problem here in Tehran. I'll post the update from my website when it goes live.

Jonny

Wow! What a story! Thanks for sharing and I hope it works out okay. :)

Wainiha

Explorer
I'm not a blog person, but I read that last link. You are a good writer. Are a little nuts too? Maybe just from being alone? Your stuffed animal talks to you? JK

Seriously, very captive style of writing. I am always, immediately sucked in.

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Thanks for the comments.

It's a little bit of everything I think. Boris (my car) and Kiwi Ted (my godson's teddy bear / mascot) have been my constant companions on the journey. Given my dramas in Iran I thought I'd just make the blogs a little different for my readers and write from the perspective of my fellow travel companions. However I have found myself talking to them both at various times during the trip. I think its fair to say I am looking forward to completing the journey and getting back to a little bit of a normal life for a while. I underestimated the mental strain a trip of this nature and length would have. I'm pretty exhausted now.

Wainiha

Explorer
You have to talk to someone. Even yourself. A friend sailed back from Tahiti by himself. He never talked to himself or sang in the shower etc. When he got to port here he couldn't talk. It took him a day before he said anything. Use it or lose it I guess.

There is plenty of moral support for you here. Keep on it. Amazing journey. Amazing to have the courage to do it.

imperiaus

Привет! Опишите свое путешествие через Россию. С чем Вы столкнулись тут.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke