The Great Game Expedition - Overland Across Central Asia 2013

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
P4300650.JPG
Hello Everybody

I'm an adventurous chap 14,000 miles into 25,000 plus mile solo overland expedition through Central Asia in 2013. Join Boris (my car), Kiwi Ted (my mascot) & I on our adventures.

I'm in the middle of a unique overland 4x4 trip from London to China and back, through Central Asia. I've travelled from London to Russia where I joined the Silk Road and headed east to China though the "Stans". I have since travelled south via Laos to Malaysia in South East Asia.

After shipping the vehicle to India I will head west via India, Nepal, Pakistan, Iran, and Turkey and finally Europe to London. (If anybody lives on my route or has any contacts let me know. I'd love to meet up - I will be travelling through the area between Sept and Dec 2013)

This is a unique expedition that combines one of the great overland journeys with a fantastic historical narrative. I will be taking on the challenge to share this amazing adventure as the expedition unfolds.

Expedition Vision

To explore present day Central Asia along the former Silk Road routes, retracing the steps of the players and the historical events of The Great Game. Through the interaction with the local people, cultures and landscape, the aim is to compare and contrast the historical version with modern day Central Asia.

It's been one hell of a journey so far. Crazy ferry rides across the Caspian, cricket matches in northern Afghanistan, and China's worst storms in 30 years to name just a few of the stories adventures.

You can follow the journey via my website, facebook, twitter and youtube links in my signature.

Cheers

Jonny / Big O

p.s Apologies for the late update to the Expedition Portal. Better late than never. :)

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
The Great Game Film Trailer - what do you think?

Hi All,

I've completed my journey eastwards I am now in Kuala Lumpur waiting to ship my truck to Kolkata.

To celebrate completing the first 3 legs (of 5) I've just release my first expedition film trailer. I thought you might like to see it. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the trailer.

here is the link to the blog that went with the clip.

http://bigoadventures.com/2013/08/19/halftime-the-journey-east-is-complete-the-journey-west-awaits/

Cheers

Jon

concretejungle

Adventurer
Great trailer!!

I'm completely puzzled about your gas tank problem. I know three 80 series land cruisers in the states that have had gas tank cracking issues that they can't figure out why. There was another post on this forum of some guys in an 80 series in Africa i believe that also had cracking gas tank. Really bizarre

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Glad you like the trailer.

Here are photos on the offending bits in the tank. Boris my truck has already spent 2 years going around Africa with his previous owner, so there has been bit of wear and tear. The same spot cracked and was patched up a couple of times until it was cut out in China and a new piece welded in. Haven't had a problem since.

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Singapore

Nice work Jon. Where are you currently?

Hi Scott,

I'm currently in Singapore waiting for my truck to ship from Kuala Lumpur to Kolkata. It could take a while as my ship has just been delayed another 3 days. So it makes me just a standard backpacker for the next couple or weeks. Then I have the joys of trying to clear customs.

I don't know if anybody else is trying to ship at the moment, but the costs have gone through the roof in this part of the world. I'd been told from other overlanders that they did India to Port Klang, KL for $1,500. It's cost me $2000 to ship to Kolkata (it was closer to $1500 for Chennai) and I've still Kolkata clearance fees. Current quotes are close to $1500 usd more. Basically the price seems to have double in the last couple of years. Ouch!!

Jon

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Jon,

Awesome adventure!
Nice one on going solo. All my friends thought I was nuts driving Alaska->Argentina solo, and it was amazing.

Do you have information about the paperwork and logistics required to enter the countries you've been through so far?
Is there a section on your blog specifically for that kind of thing?

I'd love to get the information into http://WikiOverland, the Encyclopedia Of Overland Travel so that other people can benifit from your experience.
I would link to your blog at every possible opportunity.

Thanks Jon,

-Dan

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Hi Dan

Hey Jon,

Awesome adventure!
Nice one on going solo. All my friends thought I was nuts driving Alaska->Argentina solo, and it was amazing.

Do you have information about the paperwork and logistics required to enter the countries you've been through so far?
Is there a section on your blog specifically for that kind of thing?

I'd love to get the information into http://WikiOverland, the Encyclopedia Of Overland Travel so that other people can benifit from your experience.
I would link to your blog at every possible opportunity.

Thanks Jon,

-Dan

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you adventure was brilliant!!. The route is one I have in the back of my mind for another time.

I haven't got all my paperwork and logistics in a nice organised pile unfortunately. Just haven't had the time while I've been on the road to write it all up. There is some stuff in the preparation section. My 'On the Road' section is still work in progress. I suspect I won't finish it until sometime next year!! :)

Your wiki overland page is a great idea. I'm happy for you to use any information from my website. There are often little pieces within each of my country blogs that give an insight to each border and some of the paperwork involved.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jon

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Dan,

Sounds like you adventure was brilliant!!. The route is one I have in the back of my mind for another time.

I haven't got all my paperwork and logistics in a nice organised pile unfortunately. Just haven't had the time while I've been on the road to write it all up. There is some stuff in the preparation section. My 'On the Road' section is still work in progress. I suspect I won't finish it until sometime next year!! :)

Your wiki overland page is a great idea. I'm happy for you to use any information from my website. There are often little pieces within each of my country blogs that give an insight to each border and some of the paperwork involved.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jon

Hey Jon,

The Pan-Am is a great on for sure, though I'm much more interested in your route right now!

If you have the time, can you please go into each country in WikiOverland you've been into lately and at least update the basics.
i.e. for example http://wikioverland.org/Tajikistan , you can click "edit"in the top right and then put in what is needed at the border (carnet?), insurance, cost and maybe the price of diesel?

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes per country, and it will really help others thinking of a similar route (ME!).

Don't worry about formatting the information, the wiki stuff can be a pain. I get notified whenever there is an edit, and I'm very happy to go in an format things nicely.

Thanks very much, keep up the great adventure!

-Dan

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Tips: Crossing into Thailand from Laos with Your Vehicle (At Vientiane / Nong Khai)

I recently crossed into Thailand from Laos at the Vientiane / Nong Khai border. As I was after a 60 day visa for me and my truck I thought I'd share the process I went through.

Exit Vientiane

Drive your vehicle as far to the front as possible then park and get out. Head to any of the offices with your departure slip and passport. Hand it in to one window (for immigration) and you should get it back from the next window. Then you got to the vehicle exit window and pay approx 50,000 kip as an exit fee.

You will then be allowed to exit. You have to pay another fee approx 8,000 kip for the toll to cross the Friendship bridge.

Note: these fees differ depending on your vehicle. I recommend to take 60-100,00 kip to get across. I managed to blag my way with only baht but they gave me kip back in exchange for baht. I probably lost out on the exchange.

Enter Thailand

Once across to need to follow the cars to the right hand side and then park before the immigration offices. Though if there is no parking available you can probably drive through and park on the other side. There was nobody to inspect or stop the vehicles. The onus is on you to get your paperwork completed.

IMG_4565.jpg

First stop is office 7a to pick up one forms (that they fill out), and an immigration card (you fill out). You need your vehicle ownership papers and passport.

IMG_4566.jpg

Then go next door to 4a or 5a for immigration with your immigration card completed and pay 200 baht fee. This is deals with your personal visa. If you have a visa for 60 days that you have picked up from the Thai consulate in Vientiane before crossing you will get 60 days stamp. Make sure they know it's a 60 day visa.

IMG_4564.jpg

Next stop is 6a for customs. Show them your vehicle registration papers. I also had my proof of purchase invoice but they didn't seem interest in that. Best to have anyway just in case. Here they will give you 30 days as standard. You need to ask explicitly for 60 days like you visa (if you are after 60 days, if not no worries). You will get passed about but you need to go into the customs office on the left hand side of the complex (as you look into Thailand) to see the officer here. Explain you need 60 days inline with your personal visa and they will ask you to fill out a request form.

IMG_4563.jpg
Customs Office

They will require photocopies of passport and entry stamp along with vehicle ownership V5 and purchase receipt document. There is a photocopier at the entrance for 5 baht per page. The customs officer will then change the date to 60 days.

Then you head to 6d for final paperwork and your done. Easy!!

IMG_4561.jpg
6D
Nobody even checked my truck. The guarantee mentioned on the website is a figure they add to the customs document. No cash deposit is required.

Link to Thai customs website
Customs English

I hope this helps. All up it took me about two hours to cross the border. With this info you'll probably save 30-45 mins wandering around trying to figure the process out.

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
I'm having a blast so far.

Even had time to shoot and make a Bollywood dance video last week as a wedding gift for friends.

BigOAdventures

Big O's Adventures
Trip Update

Hi All,

I managed to traverse my way across India after shipping from KL to Kolkata. (word of warning: shipping is getting pretty expensive!! It cost me $2800 USD)

India is crazy for driving on the roads which has kept it interesting along the way. I'm crossing into Pakistan on Thursday.

I've also create an interactive Actual Route Map where you can track my route, see pictures, blogs and videos from the trip to date. Check out this link: Actual Route Map with Pictures, Films and Blogs

Jon
www.BigOAdventures.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles