Very small kitchen/chuck box?

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I'm looking for a rather small kitchen box to hold both kitchen gear and food for one person for several days. Current system of digging around in a plastic box is disorganized. I considered getting some sort of gear bag with pockets (Cabela's has good ones), but I think a solid box would work better. Characteristics:
--Compartments or drawers to keep things separate and organized
--Dimensions something like 16"wide x 12" deep x 12" high
--Commercially available
--Light: probably made of plastic
--Reasonable price
--Does not need to hold stove on top. To be placed on picnic table.
P.S. How do you separate paragraphs in this forum?

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I've had very good luck with mine (pictured below). It's bigger than what you stated, but not by much, and I don't know of anything else commercially available. They come up for sale regularly. Heck, mine is for sale if you were closer.

DSC00199-1.jpg

-

Lumpy70

Observer
I've had very good luck with mine (pictured below). It's bigger than what you stated, but not by much, and I don't know of anything else commercially available. They come up for sale regularly. Heck, mine is for sale if you were closer.

DSC00199-1.jpg

-

What brand is that if I was to look on ebay?

Craig.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just a thought - I know you said "commercially available", but you might be able to assemble something for yourself without too much work. I just went through the details of my updated mini-chuck box in chuck-box thread in the other section:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/21268-Kitchen-Kit-Chuck-Box?p=1430705#post1430705

I'd have to re-measure the case to be sure, but it's only a bit larger than the 16x12x12 dimensions you listed, and I've got a lot of gear in there to support a family of three. I bring a full knife roll and a lot of cooking vessels so I can do long trips and improvise meals based on what's available. If I were to re-build the kit for a single camper, I'd keep the menus a lot simpler and there'd be plenty of room for all the gear + a lot of food. With the "single person" requirement, you're basically looking at organizing a box around a backpacking setup. Should be cake.

Milk crates. You can make tops for them, so you can stack gear on top. They come in two sizes, you can cut them down if they are too tall. Around camp they make great little tables. Very reasonably priced.

Yes I am cheap and yes I used to ride a KLR

toyotech

Expedition Leader
i have a REI Camp Mini Kitchen but i think its being clearance out. i was trying to find sizes but i think its a little bigger than what you want. its nice as it folds out with a table on top. i picked up the display model for $22 cuz the table was missing one tab which isnt really needed

doug720

Expedition Leader
Here is my set up.

I used a surplus steel ammo type box with two top latches and permanent attached hinges. I lined the interior with self stick cork and added 1/8" plywood dividers.

It holds all the cooking supplies we need for many days and includes:

2 - Peak liquid stoves
1 - Single mantle Coleman liquid fuel lantern
2 - Spare liquid fuel bottles - 1 20oz and 1 16 oz.
spare mantels, lantern tree hook, matches, pump OH kit, dish soap, foil, hot pads, large and small baggies, trash bags, plastic cups, a couple of "Tupper Ware" containers, etc.
2 - Plastic cutting boards
2 = plastic boxes of cutlery and cooking utensils
3 - SS insulated coffee type cups
1 - Collapsible wash basin
Pile of Paper plates
1 - MSR Cook set = fry pan X 2, pots X 3, handles, etc
I'm sure a few other things I'm forgetting

The box is 30" X 13" X 7" and loaded, weighs about 25 pounds. It is very stout and has HD ring handles on both ends. It is sealed well, maybe not water proof, but has kept rain and dust out for many trips on the roof rack.

I have a HD plastic box, a little smaller, we keep our food in. This works well for us and our travels

Doug

Attachments

• P1080321.JPG
    P1080321.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 49
  • P1080322.JPG
    P1080322.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P1080323.JPG
    P1080323.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
I use a med sized tool bag. not as slick as all these setups, but it does allow for a bit of size variance in items.its one of the first things to come out anyways, so it doesn't get crushed.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You said kitchen stuff, I've got a trailer full of camping gear/survival gear/coolers/tools/recovery gear and--

I bought this "ConcepT" kitchen/camping set from Costco-7 years ago and nothing has broken or lost, I added a complete special knife set for "other" things

The "CONCEPT" kit has complete kitchen set for four people, +coffee cups/salt/pepper/thermos/glasses/SS containers, all utensils (SS) and napkins too !

IMGP0643-2.jpg

It carries like a bowling bag-Kewl

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94