Tunook Build Has New Life

Tank5

Adventurer
Pacer, Thanks for the link. I read over a lot of it and was convinced that I would try the Harrop elocker if me toyota elocker didn't show up.

Fedex found it. 15 Days after it should have arrived they finally delivered it and it is all in one piece. So it looks like I will be going with the factory 80 series elocker and see how it goes. I am just waiting on the rest of the axle from Diamond to arrive. Next week I hope.

While I wait this weekend I will sand blast the new rims so I can drop them off for powder coating next week.

Last edited:

MandAtaco

Observer
Amazing!! Id love to have this rig!

FYI, the brakes you upgraded to are the 231's I believe, they are what I'm running on my 00 4Runner. The 80 series wheels wont clear those calipers, you are running spacers so they should be fine, but if you ever decided to run without the spacers be aware. I only know this cause I just bought a set of 80 series rims for my runner and found out afterwards they hit. Live and learn. LOL.

Again, love love love this rig!

Tank5

Adventurer
I test fit the 80 series rims with the spacers and as you said they seem to work fine with that configuration. I have to run the spacers to keep the 285 tires from rubbing on the control arms, so I don't think I will be removing the spacers. The 80 series rims have the same backspace as the 4runner rims I have been running on it. Thanks for the comments, it has been a lot of fun for the family. I am really looking forward to getting it back on the road soon.

Last edited:

Tank5

Adventurer
Spoke to Diamond axles last week and they said the axle parts should ship out this week. More progress soon I hope. I am working sandblasting rims right now to stay busy.

pacer

Observer
Really, only the axel to work on? Interior is all built out just the way you want it?
Seems to me I'd never ever finish a rig like this...

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Tank5

Adventurer
Pacer, I don't know if it will ever really be done. I have plenty more I would like to do to it but having to spend money on the axle replacement before I was ready definitely set some of the other projects back a while. That said after the axle is back under it, it will be back on the road in use. I purchased it in 2011 and have been working on it since, aside from the axle replacement though everything else at this point is just tweaking it as I see fit and have the funds.

Last edited:

pacer

Observer
Pacer, I don't know if it will ever really be done. I have plenty more I would like to do to it but having to spend money on the axle replacement before I was ready definitely set some of the other projects back a while. That said after the axle is back under it, it will be back on the road in use. I purchased it in 2010 and have been working on it since, aside from the axle replacement though everything else at this point is just tweaking it as I see fit and have the funds.
Roger that, just seems like endless possibilities with a rig like this. I'm thrilled to hear it's going back into service!
Do you mean it's been under the knife the entire time you've had it?

Tank5

Adventurer
It took about the first two and a half years to get it about 95% done. After we got it done to that point we took it regularly on some short trips and few longer trips. I still want to add solar power to it and replace the pop top canvas. The canvas works just fine as it but I would like to get something a little heavier to add some better insulation. I still need to finish the awning project I started for it also. I would like to add a heater to it as well but this all takes time and money and I have more time than money right now. The axle had to be done so the other projects have been put on the sideline for a while. I am always looking to improve it as time and finances allow. It has been a solid rig as is though for time we have been using it.

Last edited:

Tank5

Adventurer
I am still waiting on the axle but thought I would post a pictures of the powder coated rims that replace the 4runner rims on the Tundra. I am still looking for a spray paint color that will match the rims to paint the plastic center caps. I was waiting to install the tires on them until I started on the rear axle install. I may just go-ahead and get them mounted. One less thing to do when the axles shows up.P7230508.jpg

Tank5

Adventurer
It has been a long frustrating purchase but I finally have the Full Float housing. I may write a full review of my purchase experience so others may benefit from it but for now my time is better spent getting all the parts prepped to assemble the axle. I just got it back from the fab shop after getting the perches corrected and the shock and brake line mounts welded up. I was planning on powder coating the housing but the purchase took so long I cut that out of the build to speed it up. If I powder coated it locally I was looking at 6 hours of round trip driving and a 2 week delay so I ruled it out. Instead I opted for the POR15 route which involved degreasing it, then treating it with their etching treatment, then coated it twice in POR15 and then finally top coating that with POR15 top coat. It turned out pretty good and as long as it protects it from rust I am happy. Sadly I am waiting on a few parts to arrive still before I can completely assemble the axle. I will document more of it as I work through it but wanted to provide an update.

Attachments

• P9210526.jpg
    P9210526.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

BajaSurfRig

This build is so cool! I am hoping to do something similar with my Tacoma some day. Thank you for the inspiration :drool:

Tank5

Adventurer
Thanks for the nice comments.

The axle build has been slow going. I got shipped the wrong parts and am still waiting on replacements to arrive. It is frustrating to say the least I was hoping to be able to use it this coming weekend but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I am waiting on the studs for the housing to bolt the diff. I was shipped the wrong initially so I ordered them from Toyota 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting. Here is where I am stuck at.

Attachments

• P9290526.jpg
    P9290526.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 59

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior