Old GM pickup box trailer

Traxxus

Found this hiding behind a couple of trucks that were left to rot on the back lot, old GM trailer. Has a steel plate over the wooden floor which of course was rotted, it had a nice thick layer of leaves in it, though the rust isn't as bad inside the trailer as I expected it to be, no holes or really bad scaly rust. Shocks and springs are rusted pretty bad, though I'm not sure the shocks are necessary. Frame has some rust, but nothing an angle grinder and wire wheel brush+paint won't fix. Was filled with metal, so guessing it was the salvage trailer. Found a couple wheels that I'm pretty sure are Model A, a couple cool fenders, and a gigantic active wasp nest in one of the doors. No pictures of me performing my ninja technique (run and scream like a girl) unfortunately.

TFs0kLH.jpg

DDCVQr1.jpg

UNCJ3Ai.jpg

8cQ16Bt.jpg

wiWOOxa.jpg

Found these hubcaps, probably going to use them instead of the gm caps.

Most pressing issues are lighting harness was cut, needs tires, probably needs oil in the axle (I think? not sure how these are maintained, the driveshaft does turn with the wheels), and lug bolts on one side are stuck.
Not sure what to do about the stuck bolts. Been using PB Blaster+Mallet but no joy. It'll jerk and go another tiny bit and stop. Easiest thing would be to get the other tire replaced, mount it back on, fix the lights, then drive the whole thing to the coop and let them try to take it off and hope they don't break the bolts. I guess they'd be equipped to deal with that. Don't know if it's safe though, would involve 7-8 mins of highway travel on an old tire with slightly (not even half a turn on most) loosened lug bolts. Maybe I should just go ahead and take the bed and the axle off, start working on the frame and just take the axle itself down there.

Or maybe I should forget it and get a trailer axle.Could I still use the stock springs and just swap the axle out so i don't have to mess about with new perches? Anyone know what kind of axle this is, or a guess as to the year of the donor truck?

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Swap the axle for a non differential trailer version pressure wash the gunk off and spray a satin clear to protect the patina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz