Roaming with Rudy: Living in an Earth Roamer

Scott Brady

Founder
A few nice images for sure:
1172604_414303968678986_727098396_o.jpg

The EarthRoamer makes for a wonderful photographer's mobile studio.

haven

Expedition Leader
This is a great blog! Thanks for sharing.

The Earthroamer is an XV-LT Stretch model, with 27.5 foot overall length. This allows room for a dry bathroom and a little more space in the kitchen/dinette area. I believe the extra length makes the dinette into a viable sleeping area for adults.

ERXVLT-Stretch.jpg

This is a compressed crop of the original photo. Here's a link to the photo on the Facebook blog site
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...538.1073742006.400106226765427&type=1&theater

I tried to convince my wife to buy an earth roamed instead of a house. Had her 75% convinced. Then we did a your of the facility. They just aren't big e bought for 4 people. Definitely not if you are planning on possibly having another child.

But they are pieces of artwork. My daughters loved climbing all over them.

turbopilot

Observer
I tried to convince my wife to buy an earth roamed instead of a house. Had her 75% convinced. Then we did a your of the facility. They just aren't big e bought for 4 people. Definitely not if you are planning on possibly having another child.

But they are pieces of artwork. My daughters loved climbing all over them.

Agree. We max it out with 2 people and a dog. However, the form factor is ideal. It can go just about anywhere.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
These folks are friends of a neighbor of mine and I got to spend some quality time admiring the beast. It starts with all the Earthroamer bells and whistles; air suspension fore and aft, auto leveling, big tires, solar, etc.

Then they went to extremes to make it photo friendly:

-- Rear cab seats replaced with a wooden structure that holds camera bags and gear, with seats replaced on top.
-- Each front seat has a metal frame attached to the back for a swing away carrier for a MacBookPro. Power and data lines plumbed as well.
-- Massive hard disk array in the upper cabinets on the right - enough for still and video work.

Basically, they can shoot all day and then each settle into their own sill/video work space. AND they still have a stretched Earthroamer to live in. Very nice!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
These folks are friends of a neighbor of mine and I got to spend some quality time admiring the beast. It starts with all the Earthroamer bells and whistles; air suspension fore and aft, auto leveling, big tires, solar, etc.

Then they went to extremes to make it photo friendly:

-- Rear cab seats replaced with a wooden structure that holds camera bags and gear, with seats replaced on top.
-- Each front seat has a metal frame attached to the back for a swing away carrier for a MacBookPro. Power and data lines plumbed as well.
-- Massive hard disk array in the upper cabinets on the right - enough for still and video work.

Basically, they can shoot all day and then each settle into their own sill/video work space. AND they still have a stretched Earthroamer to live in. Very nice!

Building something similar but not on an Earthroamer budget.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The Malayan HT is basically the same size as a Bengal, just a little longer as it incorporates the pantry of the LT and adds back the wardrobe of the Bengal. Lots of side by side photos here: http://tigerowners.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=235&t=622

The Malayan sits higher because of the pivot frame, but is lower because it does not have a roof mounted A/C. I used the space of the A/C to add they Skybox and mine sits taller because of a small suspension lift and 295 tires. The Malayan is heavier because of the full 2" of insulation on roof, floor, and all sides.

You could, of course, go for a full 4-6" lift and even more off road goodies, but we held off of that, for now. The biggest limitation is weight, especially on the rear wheels.

seeNik48

Adventurer
Nice compositions but waaay over-processed: too heavy-handed HDR. Spectacular locations don't need to be overproduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles