front end issues

philjherman

Hey everyone,
I have a 2000 Monty endevour, this is a gen 2.5. I have been noticing a loud rattle in the front end when going over bumps. It sounds like it is across the entire front end as I can hear it equally from the driver or passenger side. It almost sounds like something is loose but I do not know if it is a new sound or if I am just noticing it now. I have never even seen another 2.5 in person and so I hve nothing to compare it to!

This may or may not be related but the steering feels loose. I recently replaced the shocks all around and this significantantly improved a wobble I was having at highway speeds but now it feels , well just loose I don't know how else to describe it.

I have about 105k on the truck. Can anyone point me to possible issues, and what to inspect. Thanks!

jlocster

Explorer
For comparison's sake, I also have a 2000 Montero Endevour. When I bought it at 113K miles the steering felt loose and the front end would crash and rattle over bumps...I thought something was loose, too. I ended up replacing the ball joints, tie rods, end links, pitman/idler arms, and front shocks. End result was noticeably tighter steering and less, though still some, crashing over bumps. A few months ago, after adding rear springs, I cranked the front torsion bars to raise the front of the vehicle to match the rear. This firmed up the front suspension and eliminated the front end crashing/rattling issue entirely. So...this is a long way of saying that, based on my experience, you have two separate issues, steering and suspension. I'd suspect that, first, replacing the front end steering components would help tighten your steering feel, and second, since you already replaced the shocks, just cranking the front torsion bars a bit would take the slop out of the front suspension and stop the crashing and rattling over bumps.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Rather than simply swap out everything, you may want to bring it to a qualified mechanic/friend, etc. who can help you troubleshoot what's actually wrong and what may need replacing in the not too distant future.

philjherman

Update on this. I crawled under and had someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off, to find any free play.

Looks like both inner tierods, the pitman and idler arms are wiggly and giggly!!

I can see these joints move significantly before the wheels move at all. At first I thought maybe they were loose but the castle nuts are secured. I am going to go ahead and replace it all including the outer tierods because that seems like a good idea.

As for the crashing sound I am thinking that it may have been related to this because the right inner tierod is especially wiggly.

I ordered all of the parts and will update when I get this done.

On a side note I recently did an inspection at a shop they mentioned the pitman idler but not the tierods.

Anyone know a good way to inspect your ball joints?

plh

Explorer
Anyone know a good way to inspect your ball joints?

Lift up the front end with a jack until the tires are off the ground, brace with jack stands. Place a long bar under the tire with a wedge under it so it can act as a leaver and slightly lift up on the bottom of the tire. I find it easiest to use the lever bar from the side of the vehicle. Have a helper look for up/down play in the ball joints. They are a bolt in swap and pretty reasonably priced. As long as you are doing the other parts I'd replace these too. Then get a front end alignment.

vectorsc

Adventurer
I haven't needed that HF puller before, a pickle fork did the job fine. Then I bought the HF puller on a lark while I was there- they sell it separate. I've done 100's of ball joints and tie rod ends and such - the HF puller is SO much easier you just don't even think about pulling a joint anymore. In fact, it almost makes it too easy.

I also like that it doesn't damage boots when you use it. Sometimes a hammer helps a bit on really stuck joints - you tap and it'll pop loose.

plh

Explorer
I haven't needed that HF puller before, a pickle fork did the job fine. Then I bought the HF puller on a lark while I was there- they sell it separate. I've done 100's of ball joints and tie rod ends and such - the HF puller is SO much easier you just don't even think about pulling a joint anymore. In fact, it almost makes it too easy.

I also like that it doesn't damage boots when you use it. Sometimes a hammer helps a bit on really stuck joints - you tap and it'll pop loose.

I agree with you in both cases. I also have wrecked many boots with a pickle fork. Not a fan.:elkgrin:

philjherman

Just an update here for future readers. After really going over the front end with the car I found that the main problem was coming from up and down motion in the idler arm from the worn idler arm bushing. I replaced the idler arm and it fixed everything. Lower tire pressure really made the wandering increase.

The rattling came from a shock bolt in the front that had worked itself loose. I replaced all the hardware on all of my shocks and a lot of noise went away. Previously I had installed new shocks but used the own hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles