Monsoon Express

pmatusov

AK6PM
Well, the white truck will have to wait until mid-November (turned out to be mid-February) or so to get a head gasket job and some other minor things - hopefully, after that, it'll be good up to ~350kmi or so.
Time to start planning a longer trip.

Last edited:

cameltrophy3

Green Discovery with white top

Hi all. I have a silly question/ story. I noticed that the green Discovery on this adventure has it's top painted white. Bare with me as this requires a little back story. Many years ago I worked for Land Rover and stayed on top of the odd bits used for advertising. When the Hard Top Defender 90 was brought into the US, a magazine advertisement was shot with a D90 and a Green Discovery which they painted the top white for. In the photo the D90 was in the foreground on the right while in the back ground the Discovery was on the left, facing the left. It is important to note the direction it was facing because being obsessed with all things Rover I noticed in the add that the rear view mirror was the same colour green as the body of the car. Not black as all of them are. I recon this add was in the press in 1995 or there about as that was when the first large batch of hard tops came into the states. There were those handful of 1994 hard tops but they were rudely assembled and all have the hatch as opposed to the door on the back. I digress... Shortly after the add came out, I came across the Discovery used. Age has fogged my memory and I can not remember if it was in Greenville, SC or Alpharetta, GA as I used to travel to both often for work. I instantly knew it was the vehicle because the top was white with no sunroof, and the body was green with the rear view mirror green as well. I spoke briefly with the owner and I believe I had a Land Rover Owner or some other magazine with me which had the add in it and I showed it to the man. The trick with the rear view mirror being green was that it had been covered in green tape. I knew it was the vehicle used in the add because the owner had just bought it, there were no others in the States like it, and the green tape was on the one mirror for the photo shoot. Long winded story, but the Discovery in these photos has a white roof and made me remember the chance encounter. If that vehicle is a 1996 or possibly a 1995, and if it is not one which the roof has been replaced for corrosion and just repainted white, there is a slim chance it is the same vehicle. Sorry for the long winded story, just a bit of Rover stuff. Thanks if you read all the way through.

pmatusov

AK6PM
Very cool! I asked my friend, who drove the green Disco in this trip, to paint the roof white - the paint is of a sort of POR-15, besides simply being a paint it slows down rust (which is a built-in feature in 96-97 D1s). I also knew exactly the difference in interior temperature (and how hard the A/C would have to work) between dark green and white - and that did work wonders in 100F+ in August in Nevada. And I always liked this Series-tropical-roof-derived paint scheme.

My jeep also has a white roof - going back to its previous owner who was also a physicist, and he worked in China Lake for many years.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I missed this thread when it was first posted but I am glad it was "resurrected"! :ylsmoke: I love those roads in the San Juans and some of the places I have been. AND even better seeing all the other places I NEED to see! Thanks very much! Great pictures and write-up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier