Your thoughts on M416

maddawg2012

Observer
Ok, I have been searching for that great (cheap) deal on a m416 everywhere. My ideal budget was like 200-600. But no luck thus far do to either it's a rust bucket, or so far across the country that getting it was cost prohibitive. I just recently found this trailer.

trailer6.jpgtrailer11.jpgtrailer1.jpg

I'm scheduled to see it this weekend. From talking with the fella, it's in great shape with only the worst rust shown in the image. I think the tub has a bowed out dent in it on the front right side shown in the photos. You can see the ridge of the bend. Other than that the tub is true in shape, the tires, brakes, title, registration (up-to-date), all work and in hand. 12v lighting, Hitch included, tires in decent shape for transport.

What would you consider reasonable price for this trailer? He is asking more than 1k for it now. But, Once I get it, I would want to still modify it to match my Jeep and change axles, hitch, etc. so my costs will increase.

Anyway, just curious what others have to say. I will likely get it once I see it this afternoon, but my budget will be blown.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
M416A1 current registration and title with surge brakes and updated lights, decient paint and little rust.
$1200 would be fair. Take a stack of hundred dollar bills with you. Money talks.

Does the seller know you want to customize the trailer?
That might sway the deal if they are a military purist.

Good luck and keep us posted.

maddawg2012

Observer
Well, the person I thought I was buy this from sold it to someone else :mad: even though I told him I would buy it and ready to move on it. Cant believe anyone these day.

So, back to the search yet again.... I think I will just build one. I'm thinking that though it would be nice to have a piece of history, making one will cost roughly the same and I get exactly what I want.

Cheers

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Personally, I do not see the attraction to these trailers. Built with channel, overbuilt due to that. Lunnette and surge breaks are not as safe as current stuff for what we do. You can build a better, stronger, lighter frame for a reasonable amount of money. The upper box is not that tough.

The main advantage is that they are done and ready to roll normally. Collectable I guess, but 26 years in the Marine Corps, and I have no attachment to them what so ever. Building your own, it won't be bent, dinged, scraped and you decide where the axle is for your specific needs.

I guess easier for me, as I have done this stuff for years. But building your own trailer from the frame up gives you ownership for over paperwork.

No knocks against the guys that like them, I can understand it. Just does not float my boat.

TheJosh

Explorer
Personally, I do not see the attraction to these trailers. Built with channel, overbuilt due to that. Lunnette and surge breaks are not as safe as current stuff for what we do. You can build a better, stronger, lighter frame for a reasonable amount of money. The upper box is not that tough.

The main advantage is that they are done and ready to roll normally. Collectable I guess, but 26 years in the Marine Corps, and I have no attachment to them what so ever. Building your own, it won't be bent, dinged, scraped and you decide where the axle is for your specific needs.

I guess easier for me, as I have done this stuff for years. But building your own trailer from the frame up gives you ownership for over paperwork.

No knocks against the guys that like them, I can understand it. Just does not float my boat.

Diff'rent strokes bro!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

maddawg2012

Observer
I would agree on both sides of the fence. In the end, I will likely spend roughly the same amount either way. Instead of cleaning and patching, I will be designing and fabing. Both have there ups and downs. Both will en up with a usable product. I think I will experience more on a fab build and look forward to it. Already started up a cad drawing in Solid Works. I'm starting with the basic shape of the M416, but making it 4 inches taller, the frame will be longer allowing for a few items on the front. Will be a standard tube frame, 2x3x.125, 14ga. tube, top cover will be made, and will roll on 3500lbs axle with 33" on 5x5 wheels. Still need to figure out axle length, spring size, etc... but will get there. I have to acquire more tooling to do the job. Need Gas for welder, metal saw, a few jack stands, new grinder, etc...

Looking forward to it.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
You can build a better, stronger, lighter frame for a reasonable amount of money. The upper box is not that tough.

All very true provided you have the tools and skills but not everyone does. People tend to overlook that fact that these are classified as 1/4 ton trailers for a reason. 1/4 ton, yes that's 500 lbs rated for off highway use. That's a big reason why (aside from the need for mass production) the box is so relatively flimsy. The frame isn't really all that stout either. The prices of these have gotten steadily more rediculous every year for the past 10 now. So, as an investment, if you find a good one for little $$$ buy it, flip it to fund the trailer you really want!

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I agree that these trailers are not perfect but nothing is. I don't have the time nor desire to reinvent the wheel right now. Teardrops are cool but they are too small for me and what I want to do. And, I like old cars so the design of the m416 appeals to me for that reason too.
To the OP...sorry the guy flaked on you. Seems to be the norm nowadays. I hope you find what you are looking for!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the bum deal.

I can't tell you how many verbal deals people have backed out on with me.
Craigslist, auto trader, and in person.
I have gotten to calling the seller before I leave the house to make certain the deal is still on.

You guys that live in the no salt states have it good.....a 416 in Pennsylvania that looks like swiss cheese still goes for over $700.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior