How to Modify Vehicle Wiring - Starting with the DO NOTs

psykokid

Explorer
get a mechanical diesel...no wiring needed

new radio installed by radio shop at work made it down 1 wash board road before I had to soldier the connections....

crimping, soldier each has its place...but a mechanical diesel and a standard transmission needs neither

Unless you want to drive at night.. :sombrero:

hamr26

Observer
Just adding an alternative to scotchlok or splice-tap:
Capture.JPG
I have used them in the past and they have all of the benefits of the posi-lock butt connectors.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I use those when necessary, problem is they aren't sealed. Great thread. I've improved my wiring greatly from what i used to do. Now I see I can improve it even more. Nothing sucks more than a wiring failure at a mission critical point (ie, cops wondering why your brake lights aren't working) or similar.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I've been going through old threads as I find so much knowledge here! Wiring is one of my "blind spots" for sure and I found this thread so helpful for all the info in it. So I'm bumping it as I'm sure lots of other newer members like me can gain some new understanding of the risks of poor wiring ( that's my polite way of saying "I'm not posting any of my horses**t crimping failures from the past! :) )

What I think I have learned is:

1. Get and use better quality materials- connectors, ratchet crimper (yes I've been a sucker for the "10,000 terminals for $10!!" In the past....)
2. Soldering makes sense in some applications but there must be enough mechanical support (and far enough up the circuit to be past any solder wicking) to ensure that vibration doesn't crack the soldered joint
3. Shrink-wrap and similar products are important for connections that may ever see weather (no I will NOT post pictures of my multiple failures at underhand wiring.......yeesh.....I am honestly surprised I didn't burn a bunch of vehicles to the ground....but maybe my failures at making good connections saved me as they failed so completely as to not ever get to the point that a vehicle immolation was possible! )

Anywho....thanks for the info all! :)

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Good advice. When I do use crimp connectors I only use ones the heat shrink ones.

I have had a bad batch of these recently, or rather the solder-seal Wurth and Fastenal brand ring terminals. I had used them for years with no issue, and recently had 10 go bad within weeks from the same pack.

I think I've gone back to solder and heat shrink, and no special components. Takes longer, but more reliable.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Q: what's a good quality pair for the occasional weekend crimper gonna cost? 65? brand?

I didn't see this Q the first time around. Being an old electrician, I'm partial to Klein Tools. The stripper/crimper that goes with me everywhere is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-1...qid=1429299029&sr=1-4&keywords=klein+stripper

31YPC7H3FJL.jpg

Long handle for leverage (but still requires a strong grip). Cuts, strips, crimps, can cut small screws to length and has a gripper tip for grabbing stuff.

Also have one of these laying around in a box somewhere with a fairly extensive collection of dies (probably all of them actually...):

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV212-...qid=1429299240&sr=1-22&keywords=klein+crimper

61UxpeGAUXL._SL1500_.jpg

One nice thing about Kleins is that they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty, and every electrical wholesale house carries them and will swap them out no problem. Kinda like Sears used to be with Craftsman. I've swapped out a few that had big chunks missing from electrical arcing. No questions asked...but you usually have to tell the countermen the story. :)

jgardiner

Observer
To splice into the factory wiring I use a Western Union splice. I carefully remove the insulation without damaging the strands and then I wrap the bared end of the new wire around the exposed strands. Then solder and wrap. The Beaty of this is that it is reversible.

GregSplett

Adventurer
A couple of years ago I bought a 93 Subaru wagon.Got it home and two days later it would not start.I am a big fan off batteries so I just replaced the battery.It already had a new alternator.Long story short I did not drive that car for a year because i did not know when it would start.I went through grounds every thing.Then one day I see an aftermarket wire poking out from behind the radio console
turns out the wire was part of a dead man switch that interrupted the exciter wire and the ecu.It was put in with cheap crimp connectors that I believe were crimped with the same wire cutters that cut the wire.I pulled it and soldered my harness back together.not only did the starting problem leave but so did a tranny shift problem.

I put in car stereos for a few young years.I really trusted quality butt connectors.Kind of trusted barrel connectors,test every one.Those blue scotch locks in the original post are pure garbage,probably accounted for 90% of my warranty work.

I solder and shrink wrap everything I can now.

bsmith123

wiring

I personally don't like piercing type connections of any brand---Id rather repin a connector and add a jumper to another terminal and run from there or make a y cable interface of my own to slot in between the oem connectors---to do this though you have to step up to learning how to assemble connectors and make a modest investment in the tools and parts---but its not hard.

I usually crimp, but I can't say that also soldering is a bad thing IF you know how. skipping the el cheapo connections that aren't worth using, if you have wiring failures it is probably the workmanship not the materials. You can set up a failure either badly crimping or soldering

It is a skill like welding or playing a guitar, just because you have knowledge of how to perform a procedure does not mean you will do it well---that takes some practice and attention to detail.

If you are heading to wilderness areas wire troubleshooting and repair, both expedient and permanent is a skill worth investing in like first aid or mechanical repairs

If you want to solder sit down and practice and if you have an experienced coach to rate your work---great, same thing for crimps, once you do it to a level of proficiency you wont forget it ==like bike riding and you'll have that under your belt for good

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94