Exped mat issues

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I ordered up an Exped SIM Comfort 7.5 based on recommendations here and from Overland Journal. Unboxed it, opened up the valve, it sucked air in for about 20 seconds and then stopped. Watched the videos on Exped website that it might need to sit out for a couple of days to "loosen up" and fill with air. Let it sit for a week and it never filled. Spoke with Exped and they were super helpful. Took some pics and they were able to determine that it had a bad valve. They sent me out a new one and I shipped back the defective one. Unboxed the new one and now 2 days later it has not filled with air either while the valve has been open.

I am wondering if these things just can fill at altitude? You can blow into it and it will fill and hold air but that negates the whole idea of self inflating. Any other Exped users have this issue? I am about to send it back to where I purchased it at (they did not have any in stock to replace the first one, that is why the first exchange with Exped happened). Any recommendations on a similar pad that works? I really like the 3" height since I tend to sleep on my side and move around.

Thanks

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Don't have a exped not sure any 'selfinflating" matt actually inflates to a usable pressure
I usually roll out leave and just before bed blow it up using my breath

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
When I receive a new mattress I fully inflate it with a pump the first time. That seems to get things moving and it should inflate by itself the next time. Also, it helps if you store it inflated between camping trips.

Usually Exped products are reliable. It's not a good idea to blow a mattress up by mouth because it introduces moisture into it. Store it inflated with the valves open to dry it out. My REI Campbed 3.5 fully self-inflates in about 5 minutes. You always have to add a bit of air at the end because the mattress will stop sucking air when the pressure inside and outside are equal.

If space and price are not an object for you, I recommend the Exped Mega Mat 10 over the SIM Comfort, not for the valve but for the greater comfort. See my review comparing the two in this forum.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I ordered up an Exped SIM Comfort 7.5 based on recommendations here and from Overland Journal. Unboxed it, opened up the valve, it sucked air in for about 20 seconds and then stopped. Watched the videos on Exped website that it might need to sit out for a couple of days to "loosen up" and fill with air. Let it sit for a week and it never filled. Spoke with Exped and they were super helpful. Took some pics and they were able to determine that it had a bad valve. They sent me out a new one and I shipped back the defective one. Unboxed the new one and now 2 days later it has not filled with air either while the valve has been open.

I am wondering if these things just can fill at altitude? You can blow into it and it will fill and hold air but that negates the whole idea of self inflating. Any other Exped users have this issue? I am about to send it back to where I purchased it at (they did not have any in stock to replace the first one, that is why the first exchange with Exped happened). Any recommendations on a similar pad that works? I really like the 3" height since I tend to sleep on my side and move around.

Thanks

Have you not owned a self-inflating/rising air mattress before? We have owned 7 or 8 different pads over the years and all of ours from the Pro Lite to the Dreamtime XL require some extra air from its user to attain the desired firmness, just be glad you don't have to completely inflate it yourself from zero to three inches of loft....

Richietherocket

Adventurer
Thanks everybody. I was able to blow a bit of air in a get it filled. Then left it filled for 2 days. Let all the air out and opened the valve again. It filled right up without issue. Will be testing it next weekend.

madmax718

Explorer
Have you not owned a self-inflating/rising air mattress before? We have owned 7 or 8 different pads over the years and all of ours from the Pro Lite to the Dreamtime XL require some extra air from its user to attain the desired firmness, just be glad you don't have to completely inflate it yourself from zero to three inches of loft....

You making fun of my neoair all season?:sombrero:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The best thing you can do for a self inflating mattress is to leave it inflated when your between trips. I kept my Thermarest self inflator stored inflated under my bed at home. it puffs right up if its stored that way. Same idea with sleeping bags. If you store them unrolled and fluffy between trips they are lofty and warm on trips for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier