Utility Shell Pop Up Build

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Hey, have you tried rotating the images upside down before you post them? I know it's crappy work around but if it works, it will save us all getting kinks in our necks.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I have tried that several times and they still end up upside down. Maybe the powers at be for the pictures is a chiropractor!

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Floor Building

Today I worked on the exterior of the floor for the camper. I used 3/8'' ACX plywood that I plan on painting. I got all of my pieces cut and all except the floor itself and one side panel attached using self tapping screws. I left the passengers side panel off to make installing the floor easier. The floor is made from 3/4'' birch, marine grade plywood that we had sitting around. I had to make it out of 3 small sheets, but I really did not want to have to buy a whole sheet of plywood just for that. I rabbited the joints to make them more water tight, and they will be screwed to the frame at those rabbit points. I also plan on routering out the centers of the 3/4'' ply because it is REALLY heavy. And as usual, all of my pictures are screwed up. I don't know what to do, I have tried all combos of uploading them. They are normal orientation on my computer.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg
Old Stanley router that my dad bought in the 70's. Lasted him a 30 year career of building homes and is still our favorite!

photo 3.JPG

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Floor finished, Roof started

Over the last couple of days I managed to finish the floor.

I routered out the floor itself which saved a huge amount of weight.
photo 1.JPG

I then screwed it down
photo 2.JPG

And then added ribs to the vertical and horizontal pieces to stiffen things up and provide an attachment point for my interior plywood as well as insulation space.
photo 5.JPG

Painted the whole outside...
photo 4.JPG

And got started on the roof while that dried. I will cut up the roof that I bought from GCecchetto and re-assemble it and modify it to fit my camper.
photo 3.jpg

ober27

Adventurer
I'm really enjoying seeing this come together. Keep the photos coming, no matter what their orientation.
Darin

toyotech

Expedition Leader
im looking to do something like this aswell once i find a cheap shell like you did. mine wont be exactly built for extended stay but for easier access.
you need to rotate your pictures correctly on you computer, re save it that way than upload them.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Looks like a interesting project. I had thought about converting one of those toppers to a camper, but didn't think to make one a pop top. I have a similar contractors topper on my Tacoma but with out the full door on the back. I used it for camping, but wasn't the best as my truck bed is the shorty on a 4 door, so I had to sleep at a angle.

As far as your pictures, try to ordinate then in your camera before exporting.. Should fix your issue.

Mykol74

hoptroll, maybe I can help with the photos:
what is your workflow/process for posting them? Or rather, what steps do you take, from taking the picture, to getting them on your computer, then posting online?
What photo software are you using on your computer? Also, Mac or PC?

What I'm hoping to do, is understand what software you are using on your PC, and provide step-by-step instructions for rotating the images so they are right-side up.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
As promised; more words, more pictures. The above pictures are the most recent progress over the last couple of days. I was out on injury and since being cleared back to duty, I have had very little time to work on this project since I have been doing my paramedic internship. The above photos are of the "rain gutter" cap that I attached. I will attach my FWC soft walls to the vertical aspect of this. The pics below are the work I had done before the above. I painted the plywood floor as well as added sheet metal to where I expanded the foot print of the camper. I need to finish the corners with some sort of 1"x1" angle to seal the part where the sheet metal meets. Anyone have any product suggestions? I was going to use aluminum angle.. It hasnt all turned out as clean as I had hoped, I made a couple of errors as I went. Overall, I will clean it, sand it, and repaint it before its all done which will hopefully clean up the look a bit. Good learned process and I already have a brain child going for what the next one will look like.

final.jpg

P1020046.jpg

P1020047.jpg

P1020048.jpg

P1020049.jpg

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Finished building a cart to move the camper on. Built it a little taller than my tailgate so it will be perfect for loading/unloading. Gotta love using all scrap materials too! Oh and I got a REALLY good deal on CL on a Thule T2 rack. Stoked!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386479000.246162.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386479014.967491.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior