1985 FWC Fleet Refurbish

Parts came and so has some progress

Well I got some of my new electrical parts and solar panel and so far have gotten everything fit into my new cabinet face. Just gotta wire everything up, mount solar panel and paint the interior along with a bunch of other misc. stuff: recover seats, rebuild both lift panels, re-seal roof...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well with our first rain of the year last night, not much. I haven't found any leaks to speak of yet. Fingered crossed!

It's been nice working on the camper in overcast conditions since the weekend before and several before that's its been pretty hot!

I've got my switch panel all wired up, thermostat wired, stereo wired and pre ran speaker wire to speaker locations for when I get some, and got my 12v plug and USB plugs all wired. Gotta head to the big box store today and pick up some 10ga wire to run from battery to switch panel, battery to fridge and solar controller to battery.

image.jpg

Hopefully ill also be able to get the solar panel mounted to the roof and wire run from roof to solar controller via that white 2 wire roof mounted wire gland:

image.jpg

I also had time to cut some reflectix for the windows, I really like this stuff. I was able to measure my windows and cut it slightly bigger then the measuremetns and they kinda push into place. Hopefully it will help with a little more r-value since the old windows are single pane. And it keeps the light out!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully by the end of today Ill have her all wired up for solar and running off the grid!

Also for anyone watching my thread I am looking for a good name for my camper and some of you guys have some good ones, any suggestions?

-RG

trailscape

Explorer
This is looking really good. I like seeing the older campers updated.

I've got most of those modifications installed on my topper shell but feel it might be time for an upgrade. Been going back and forth between a small travel trailer or a slide in camper. These threads really make me want a slide in.

This is looking really good. I like seeing the older campers updated.

I've got most of those modifications installed on my topper shell but feel it might be time for an upgrade. Been going back and forth between a small travel trailer or a slide in camper. These threads really make me want a slide in.

Thanks! Its pretty fun updating it, you can build it to your liking too which is always an advantage. I love my FWC slide in, wouldn't go any other way.

Well I spoke to so about not having any leaks in the old original soft sides. We got 3/10ths" in the last hour and I've got towels strategically placed. Its to bad cause the material is in pretty good shape but I have noticed some small slits and need to solve that issue now. I already plan to seal the roof after installing my solar panel mount and canoe rack. I am going to use rustoleums version of flex-seal. I used this on the underside exposed plywood that sits in the bed and I am happy with the product and feel it will do a great job on the roof, i will use white of course as black would act like a heat sink.

As for the soft side material what does everybody use? Ive seen tape, patches, glue? I was thinking of using another product of rustoleums called never wet? anybody heard of it?

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/industrial-brands/neverwet/spray-kit/275185-spray-kit

You can give this a shot. I have some for Woody, but have not used any yet. It comes highly recomended:
http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repa...1379795444&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+repair+patch

Say, where did you score the MC4 thru-the-roof connector? That's pretty slick. I also like your electronics install cluster. Looking good!

Thanks! Im gonna try some of that Tear-Aid, and then gonna treat the vinyl with the Never-Wet and shouldn't have anymore leaks.

Got the connector on amazon, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GYL7CC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

subterran

Adventurer
I highly suggest a coat of 303 aerospace protectant. It does wonders for old vinyl. It may make that neverwet stuff hard to apply, though.

I highly suggest a coat of 303 aerospace protectant. It does wonders for old vinyl. It may make that neverwet stuff hard to apply, though.

I've been thinking the same thing, gonna look into 303 and being able to never wet it. That never wet stuff seems really cool and would keep everything dry...

subterran

Adventurer
If it's any help, when diagnosing my leaks, I was convinced that the sides were contributing to the leaking, but after I sealed the top really well, I found that the sides did not leak at all. If you think about it, they are really sheltered by the overhang of the aluminum, and unless it's wind-driven rain, they stay pretty dry under most circumstances. I was also concerned about popping it down wet, as I am sure it will cause mildew (like awnings or backpacking tents. If you put them up wet, better plan on drying them out, or they will mildew, or at the very least stink..)

You might plan on sealing the roof first and see what that nets you. The only real soft side leaking you may worry about is the very front, where rain will get driven in by the wind generated by travel.

I'll also add that you should only use 303, and not Armor All. Armor All is junk.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
If you aren't sure exactly where your leak is coming from it may be related to the top and not the canvas. On our vintage FWC's some were made with the curled edge of the roof tin being placed under the soft side as opposed to over it. If the caulking joint along the trim between the side trim and the top tin isn't good water runs down between the roof side and the soft side, looking like the side is leaking. It's not a fatal flaw though, depending on the "how" the camper is made. Campers with this problem can; #1 bend the curl out and over the soft side, #2 remove the roof panels moving them to the outside of the soft top and reattaching, or #3 clean and caulk the crap out of the joint. Something else to consider doing to keep it dry is to install "D" bulb gasket around the bottom trim of soft side where the soft top and hard walls meet. On our vintage and later, while driving in a good rain water can get forced up under the opening where the top meets the hard walls with the top down. The water sometimes finds it way inside. If you look at new FWC's they do this now at the factory. Helps keep the soft top overall cleaner too. And finally 303 is the good stuff to use to clean and keep your soft side supple. It may seem like work to clean and treat the soft side periodically but IMO it's easier than running around with a caulk gun after nearly every trip like I did with my motorhome.

Thoughts on FWC mounted on trailer

Hey guys for anyone following my thread what are your thoughts on mounting a FWC to a trailer?

I found a nice trailer about 2hrs from me that was built out of an old ford courier bed and modified with 3/4t Chevy leafs and has 35" mtrs. Only issues with the trailer is I would have to cut and narrow the wheel wells in the bed which the owner says there is plenty of room to do that and I'd only need about a total of an extra inch to make my Fleet fit.

So any thoughts on FWC's mounted to trailers

My idea is to: if I buy it narrow the wheel wells to fit my Fleet, mount my fleet to it and add jacks to the trailer so once at camp I could disconnect it, level it out and have the ability to take my truck on tighter more difficult trails while my fwc is back at camp all opened up and ready to come back to after a day of wheeling or fishing.

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4095336288.html

RG

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I thought of doing that also for the same reasons you mention. Not saying it would but I would be very cautious about tipping the trailer over. A dual axle trailer would make me feel more comfortable.

I thought of doing that also for the same reasons you mention. Not saying it would but I would be very cautious about tipping the trailer over. A dual axle trailer would make me feel more comfortable.

I'd outfit it with front and rear leveling jacks on the trailer to eliminate any tipping issues. Idk we shall see, if the the guy still has it and I have the time I might go check it out this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior