1985 FWC Fleet Refurbish

I have always wanted a FWC just never been able to find one I could afford, or one to fit my '01 Tacoma. Recently while searching craigslist, I found a 1985 FWC Fleet for $600 bucks and figured hell I gotta check it out. The owner had it mounted on same gen Tacoma as mine, and just happened to be an editor for Toyota 4WD Owners Magazine. Went to check it out and it was in pretty good shape, just needed a little work. Lifts panels are pretty shot, and just needs an update. After a few trips to my favorite camping spot in the Tahoe National Forrest and reading over SLOF-250, Overland Hadley and others here on forum refurbs, I figured it was time to start mine.

Some Pictures from when I first brought it home

Image.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 2.jpg

Pics looking from a couple trips
Image 3.jpgImage 4.jpg

I am the third owner and the original owner had taken it all over the US and had put stickers from every state traveled on the back, unfortunately they had faded bad and were pretty bad looking. The 2nd owner tried to remove some and didn't do a great job removing some of them and left others. So I decided to remove all of them and repaint the back. I started by scraping all the stickers as best I could with a razor balde, then removed adhesive left behind and sanded the rear. At first I thought of just matching the factory white and repainting the back, but decided a whole paint job was necessary. So I prepped the whole camper by removing all old caulk around windows, sanding, cleaning, re-caulking, and eventually painting. I went with Rustoleum Smoke Grey for the Base and did a Black stripe and Charcoal stripe where it was originally light and dark blue. Put down 2 coats of filler primer sanding in between, 3 coats of base Smoke Grey everywhere, then 3 coats of each stripe color and finished it all of with 3 coats of clear. It came out pretty good if I do say so myself. Also coated the bare plywood that sits in the bed, after patching 2 small dry rot spots and reinforcing it with deck screws where it was originally stapled together with rustoleum black leak-seal, its a cool product.

Paint in process and finished, just need to do the roof.

Image 7.jpgImage 8.jpgImage 9.jpgImage 5.jpgImage 6.jpg

I've replaced the rear porch light, and reflectors on the camper and now it time to move to the inside. When I place my order for inside parts I need to include a new rear water tank fill. Its broken and there cheap on amazon. For the inside I have already done the floor pulling up the old and patching the holes in plywood from nails and sanding a priming with 1-2-3 primer and putting done Lowes sticky back tiles in a grey slate.

More pictures and rebuild coming...

Due to the weight of the camper and the old saggy leaf springs with add a leafs I decided to replace the suspension on my truck. In the rear I went with All-Pro "Expedition" rear 3" leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, Bilstein 5100's and Wheelers BPV bracket and Wheeler's extended brake lines. In the Front I chose to run Bilstein 5100's with Toytec/eibach 3" lift springs with 1/4" shim on drivers side as well as Wheeler's front brake lines. And just last weekend scored an All-Pro front winch bumper on CL and scored a winch on ebay cheap. The bumper came with All-Pro's front skid plate which is beefy and will be great on adventures, and no more worrying about getting stuck. They were both professionally prepped and powder coated right before I bought them.

Image 13.jpg

subterran

Adventurer
Hey! That's looking nice, and rather familiar, too!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mine is about an 1988 phoenix 'woody'. I did simular things as you with the suspension and just got my new front bumper. I am just finishing up a interior repaint, and rebuild of the cabinet doors - the old doors were just panelling on plastic slides, and were mostly bound up and not working well, so out they came. I will probably paint the whole inside, as I don't care for the 'wood panelling' look.

I will probably also tackle replacing the back door, too. It's seen better days.

I am going to start my own thread shortly, to detail what I have done with mine.

Congratulations on your score!

Thanks!

I'm planing on painting the paneling in mine too. I'm working on the interior now, and picked up a norcold 1.7 cf fridge. I'm currently planning my solar set up and cabinet layout and gonna rewire the whole thing similar to SLO's before putting it all back together, I'm also going to rebuild the storage under the sofa/lower bed areas and raise them to the height of the carpeted plywood sides for more storage and a larger lower sleeping area

Start a thread it's always nice to see how others have done!

View attachment 180865

Got the old cabinet face off and am placing the fridge and replacing the counter top with 3/4 ply today and gonna either paint or put down a veneer or something, and hopefully get the plywood cut for the front of the cabinet so I can start working on doors drawers and I need to order solar parts and wiring

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Wish the original canvas on my 87 Grandby was as in as good a shape as yours. Would have saved me some coin for more diesel and beer. Congratulations on your acquisition. I look forward to reading up on your refurb. It's nice to see the old FWC's continue on.

Looks real nice!

Thanks!

Looks like you have a nice camper in the works. The exterior paint job looks really good!

And thanks for the shout-out. :)

Thanks and thanks for your great threads!

Wish the original canvas on my 87 Grandby was as in as good a shape as yours. Would have saved me some coin for more diesel and beer. Congratulations on your acquisition. I look forward to reading up on your refurb. It's nice to see the old FWC's continue on.

Thanks! Its in ok shape there are a few spots needing a little bit of attention.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey RG! Great looking Rig! Love the custom paint job! Cant wait to see it back on the truck. Looking forward to more picts. Nice work on the re-furb.

Thanks for the shout out too! :elkgrin:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Nice work...don't know that I've ever seen a Sierra Club sticker and a CalRocs sticker on the same window!

Hey RG! Great looking Rig! Love the custom paint job! Cant wait to see it back on the truck. Looking forward to more picts. Nice work on the re-furb.

Thanks for the shout out too! :elkgrin:

Thanks SLO! I'm digging your setup and stealing some of your ideas! More pics coming as i get work done. Im hoping to maybe get it back on the truck for a weekend trip next weekend but not sure if Im gonna have time with work and all but we will see!

Nice work!

Thanks HunterMike, looks like your in the process of doing some refurb on your camper as well, cant wait for more pics!

Nice work...don't know that I've ever seen a Sierra Club sticker and a CalRocs sticker on the same window!

Thanks! Yeah it was kind of a joke! Just haven't got to pealing it off yet...

Some progress yesterday and hopefully more today!

Well I was able to get the fridge in yesterday and move the side panel due to the new fridge not being as wide as the old ice box.

Fridge in and old panel moved, new countertop cut, not going to reinstall the stove (going to set it up like SLO):
Image 16.jpg

Old Ice box:
Image 22.jpg

Inside shot:
Image 21.jpg

New Norcold 12v 1.7cf fridge with ice maker tray:
Image 18.jpg

Sink ready for cutout and faucet (new camco drain w/ evacuation port):
Image 19.jpg

Hoping to get the front "face frame" of the cabinet cut today and ready for wiring. Gotta place an order today. Ill post up what I'm thinking of doing shortly!

Thoughts on electrical/solar

Well here are my plans for the electrical and solar setup in the camper:

Thinking of using a switch panel like this as a breaker box/distribution center coming from the solar controller (have a spot for interior lights, exterior lights, furnace, stereo, 12v accessory/usb, and an open one for something later):
51Shf7ukXJL.jpg

12v accessory plug to be switched on the switch panel:
319-ALE58tL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

12v USB charger to be switch with 12v accessory plug
31D-4IxHusL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

100 Watt solar panel:
51H8gXbH1zL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Go Power solar charge controller
41vBB23+sCL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

New water fill:
21uiepd1+qL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Blinking RED LED for a Fake Alarm light:
21qqiMZEi9L._SL500_SS100_.jpg

New digital thermostat:
11yBBf08swL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

New trim for the exterior of the camper:
41986V39M2L._SL500_SS100_.jpg

What do you guys think? Also gonna have to buy some wire and connectors but just want to show what Im thinking for the electrical/solar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94