1985 FWC Fleet Refurbish

Got the camper back and hit the mountains this weekend!

I couldn't be happier with the job everyone over at FWC did! They were able to add 4.5" to the overall height of the opened camper which makes a huge difference. I can finally stand up straight with room to spare, not to mention the overall size of the inside of the camper is much more open. The composite lift panels are awesome and what a difference from the old rotten wood ones. They also re-insulated the roof, put in new headliner, new light fixtures, fantastic reversible fan, re-sealed all screws in the roof. Well worth the money spent.

Here's a few pics from when I picked it up and camping this past weekend

sara3y2a.jpg

be4esyba.jpg

juzumu3u.jpg

ruva9u8u.jpg

9y3u2e2u.jpg

2u7ube5e.jpg

zeqavy6u.jpg

e6aretym.jpg
mydy7y6y.jpg
a4yneryt.jpg

Now all I have to do is make a new table for the camper and have the seats/beds reupholstered and re-foamed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey everybody! Been a long time since my last post, been busy with work, and have spent more time in my favorite secluded mountain camping spots thanks to my FWC.

My old fleet is great, currently rebuilding the rear door and replacing the window and old lock, also adding some led spot lights on the back. Still need to re-upholster the seats/bed...

I love my camper, but I do have one problem...

My Tacoma that I mount my FWC to is also my daily driver/work truck.

So when not camping the campers gotta come off, come time to go camping I gotta unload my truck tool box, get the camper jacks out...yadayadayada line up the 4 bolt holes in my truck bed with my camper, which sometimes goes smoothly and sometimes is a PITA!

After getting off work at 4:30pm on Friday and wanting to be in the mountains ASAP, cause I gotta be back at work by Monday morning I wanted a faster more efficient solution. After a lot of looking around I finally got my hands on a M-1101 trailer.

Made the drive down to Lompoc (from Walnut Creek 4.5hrs) this morning with my pops to pick up the trailer, after picking between two for sale we were on our way back. 4.5hrs more in the truck and we were back, my tacoma pulled the trailer with ease doing 65-70mph, with cruise control on pretty much the whole way home.

Now I have this in my driveway and what I think is going to be a great project:

f7a7b189df82f998d9a28d2c766692fe.jpg

Gotta fab up some brackets, build insulated floor platform, and fab up an external battery box for my batteries currently stored under interior seats of my FWC. And fab up my zodi propane shower, plumb new surflo 12v faucet and 12v pump and I'm hoping to have a kick *** expo trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFSOC

Explorer
I love your camper, great project, fantastic results! I emphasize with the issue of trying to DD the Taco and still maintaining it as a "ready at the drop of a hat" escape vehicle. The M101 seems like an enjoyable quest but have you considered leaving the Tacoma/Pop up combo complete and trolling Craigslist for a $2000 shi%box to use for daily driving duties? Total out of pocket costs would be about the same but MPG could improve and it allows the Taco camper combo, which is perfectly tailored to your use, to remain ready for adventure at a moment's notice and keeps pesky day to day mileage off.

I love your camper, great project, fantastic results! I emphasize with the issue of trying to DD the Taco and still maintaining it as a "ready at the drop of a hat" escape vehicle. The M101 seems like an enjoyable quest but have you considered leaving the Tacoma/Pop up combo complete and trolling Craigslist for a $2000 shi%box to use for daily driving duties? Total out of pocket costs would be about the same but MPG could improve and it allows the Taco camper combo, which is perfectly tailored to your use, to remain ready for adventure at a moment's notice and keeps pesky day to day mileage off.

Thought about that too. But I also wanna be able to set up camp and take my truck on day adventures without breaking down camp to do so and having the fwc on a trailer is gonna allow me to do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subterran

Adventurer
I had this idea too. I will watch your progress with interest, especially with that particular trailer, as I have been holding out for an M416 since the newer ones are so wide.

wvtradbow

Observer
I have your thread saved in my favorites...I have the same camper in a Grandby and love your paint scheme,I might even steal it,ha ha..I noticed you still have the propane tank holder on the side but don't have a stove mounted,do you still use the big propane tank for a camping stove or do you use the space for something else ??

Go ahead a steal the paint scheme if ya want I think fwcs look better in color and not the same old white. I do use the propane, I have a hose plumbed to hook up to my coleman camp stove much like slof250 has. Gives me the option to use the stove outside when its nice and inside when not so nice out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke