Nissan NV 4x4?

haven

Expedition Leader
"Wish more of the titan stuff worked on the van."

I've read several reports that speculate the NV chassis will be the basis for a Titan HD pickup, a model Nissan does not offer today. The pickup will certainly offer 4x4 -- all competitors offer optional 4x4 for their HD pickups. Maybe then the NV will offer 4x4, or a swap will be easier using Nissan parts.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
"Wish more of the titan stuff worked on the van."

I've read several reports that speculate the NV chassis will be the basis for a Titan HD pickup, a model Nissan does not offer today. The pickup will certainly offer 4x4 -- all competitors offer optional 4x4 for their HD pickups. Maybe then the NV will offer 4x4, or a swap will be easier using Nissan parts.
I talked to a Nissan senior engineer working on the NV the other week. Although he is working with vehicle interior division, he had a pretty good overview of what is planned for the NV. To the best of his knowledge there are no plans for awd or 4x4. The NV is far behind the hopes Nissan had for it so they are not throwing big money at the NV, it would not be surprising if they actually pull the plug in a couple years.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I talked to a Nissan senior engineer working on the NV the other week. Although he is working with vehicle interior division, he had a pretty good overview of what is planned for the NV. To the best of his knowledge there are plans for awd or 4x4. The NV is far behind the hopes Nissan had for it so they are not throwing big money at the NV, it would not be surprising if they actually pull the plug in a couple years.

Did you mean there are NO plans for AWD 4x4?

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Did you mean there are NO plans for AWD 4x4?
Nope, he was not aware of any plans for any kind of factory 4x4 system for the NV. However, we did not talk about a new Titan or a HD pickup and if that vehicle would share a common frame with the NV, parts therefore would be easier interchangeable for the aftermarket industry.
They also did not say anything about Nissan dropping the NV, just mentioned several time that sales of the NV have been way below of what Nissan hoped for and that they are curious about the smaller NV200's acceptance in the market.
I think if the Sprinter 4x4 should turn out to be a success then other manufacturers might reconsider. Sadly, the market for true 4x4 vans is just too much of a niche to be really interesting for the OEM. For a while, Toyota offered the Hiace Van with true 4x4 with transfer case (from the Hilux) in Switzerland, France, Austria and Germany but to the best of my knowledge dropped it after a couple of years because the numbers were just not there. Subaru had the E10 and E12 which then also disappeared after a couple years, the same for the Mitsubishi L300 4x4, Mazda E2000 4x4 and an Isuzu 4x4 Van

Last edited:

Jon Nelson

Observer
For those of you who are wishing for more Titan parts in the NV... perhaps you should crawl under both the NV and the Titan close side-by-side. You may be surprised and decide the American Axle parts in the NV are better and beefier and easily USA sourced. I'm not even close to being a mechanic. But in my experience, more metal has meant more durability in my past.

Yes, I wish there were aftermarket Titan bumpers etc for the NV. But for me, the ease of the 4x4 conversion and the American Axle parts used for the conversion make up for the lack of trim parts.

turborobo

Observer
4x4 NV gallery now posted on outsidevan Facebook

Ok looks like they just posted the gallery on the Outsidevan Facebook page!!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152512976089721.1073741861.90667474720&type=1

So stoked!!!! I'm flying to Seattle on the 15th for a business meeting then onto Portland on the 20th to pick up the van and drive it home to Anchorage!! Really Geeked to finally see the finished product in person! It's been a long wait but I have a feeling it will be well worth it!!

Thanks to the whole crew at Outsidevan, Jarrad at PDX tuning, and advanced 4x4

lndhark

Adventurer
turbo:

That's very impressive! Outside Van does an excellent job...I'm quite in awe of the workmanship. Can you please let us know more about the running gear? This just might be a viable alternative to the E-Series. Does it have propane on-board? I'm thinking not, since you've got an induction cooktop. How's the heating handled? Gas-fueled? Will you have hot water available? Thanks for posting!

turborobo

Observer
Indhark

The running gear retains the stock final drive ( the ratio escapes me at the moment) the transfer case that advanced installed has both high and low range ( old school no push button 4x4 here ;) has an extra leaf spring in the back with rancho shocks and 3 inch lift spacers front and rear, it all sits on 33 toyos. I would like a bit more of a real suspension set up, but for the time being it will do great, in the future I would like to fab a set up to install some coil overs and 4 link.

No propane on board! The crew at outside van sourced an espar heater that runs off gasoline! Was very stoked on that, only need one source to fuel everything! On the note of gas, since the rig has a powerful and thirsty v8, (do a lot of towing) mileage is gonna suck! To help extend range, a good friend at PDX Tuning in Portland fabricated two custom gas tanks that fit flush under the van holding more than 100 gal ( I believe overkill is underrated). I doubt I'll fill it to capacity, but it nice to know that if need be I can add a lot of range. Not always a guarantee that can find gas on long road trips in AK.

To make room for the gas tanks, stock exhaust had to go. Now the exhaust exits through Stillen long tube headers and along the outside of the frame rails and out just in front of the rear tires, all nice and tucked up out of the way!

No hot water heater, really never used it in past rigs.

That's all I can think of at the moment, please let me know if u have any other questions! :)

Last edited:

ober27

Adventurer
Turbo,
You must be pretty excited. Sounds like a lot of planning has gone into this rig. I hope you share some photos of the van when you pick it up. A trip report from the drive home would be of great interest to many of us.
Hope it all goes well.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Actually looks a lot better with the front bumper and rack on it than stock - still trying to warm up to them...

Do the front seats swivel to the rear?

Still seems smaller inside than a mid wheelbase sprinter though - wonder what the difference in volume is?

Very nice job by Outside Vans!

java

Expedition Leader
Turbo,

That thing turned out sweet! Please keep us updated on your trip home. Will you be stopping in Seattle at all?

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Try out the gas Espar heater if you would. I think that would be a great addition to VanDOOM. Very cool build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94