2nd Gen dual battery install

05nissanXterra

Observer
I've been collecting items needed for this to happen. So far:
Two Optima Yellow Tops
Painless Performance dual batter kit (40102)
4AWG welding cable and copper lugs
2x2x1/8 angle for my trays
1.25x1/4 flat for my hold down
Two 10x 1/2 bolts and wing nuts.

My intended purpose for the dual batteries is to have a dedicated battery for my winch and be able to run and other lights, and accessories without imposing on the engines battery. My accessories right now consist of:

Warn M8000
Pair of Hella 4"HID'S
VIAIR 200psi compressor
Vision X Tantrum Rock lights

I'm planning to add:
Reverse work lights... LED
2k watt inverter
4 red TrailGear LED's for interior night vision

I'll try to remember to post updated pictures, but I'm really bad at it. If there is any suggestions I'm all ears.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mo4130

Adventurer
I am going to be doing a dual bat set p soon. Good luck with it. Where are you going to put it?

Also a quick hijack do the batteries have to be the mah?

Mo4130

Adventurer
Oops. Do the batteries have to be the same mah (amp hours) to do a dual parallel setup? I have heard different things. The two batteries need to be the same chemistry and voltage I know that but what about capacity.?

05nissanXterra

Observer
As far as I know the batteries don't have to be the same, I've seen plenty of dual battery setups that have different batteries.

I will be putting the second battery right next to the original. You'll have to relocate the power steering reservoir to the back of the engine back on the same side. Once that is done there is enough room the mount the two batteries next to each other with custom battery hold downs.

05nissanXterra

Observer
Tonight's update:
Original battery retainer removed, and the power steering reservoir moved to the back of the engine compartment.
ybu7e3e8.jpg

y2e7u2uz.jpg

The brain of the whole system is the Painless performance 40102 duel battery kit
u6ujydag.jpg

The hearts of the whole system is a pair of Optima Yellow Tops
e5y8a7aq.jpg

This is the starting point of what will be the dual battery hold downs.
qa3arana.jpg

05nissanXterra

Observer
I got the dual battery tray welded out, but it turns out that just the 1/8" of the tray on each side of the batteries was too tight in some areas so I ended up modifying the tray that I built to fit into the compartment.
Here's a picture of where we are at this point, this is just a test fit, I still need to finish the tray and mount it. I also need to remove one of the original Jhook brackets so the picture shows the batteries sitting a little off kilter, once done they will sit level and about a 1"-1.25" lower.

3udahevu.jpg

05nissanXterra

Observer
Well I got it all done, finally. I have about 15hrs in the whole project. Here is the finished product:

nyruzepy.jpg

It looks pretty complex and as a whole it is, but once you break it down its really not too bad of a project, it's really three project in one, relocate the power steering, mounting two batteries where only one was designed to go, and finally wiring the whole thing without shocking yourself.

ypysetap.jpg

I have only had it finished for about 12hrs but from what I can tell already it seems to be a well designed and thought out kit that Painless Performance put together. As usually I'm very happy with the Optima batteries, so I hope to put it all to the test on Sunday when we go 4wheeling at Brazos Valley offroad ranch. I will post updates when I discover new things.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
This is on my list of upgrades, too. Did the painless kit come with the wiring harnesses that are shown crossing the top of the battery or did you have to buy those separately? Was all hardware included to make the connection(other than the custom tray you made)?

Can you list some more details about any other parts that you had to buy complete the system? Thanks!!

05nissanXterra

Observer
This is on my list of upgrades, too. Did the painless kit come with the wiring harnesses that are shown crossing the top of the battery or did you have to buy those separately? Was all hardware included to make the connection(other than the custom tray you made)?

Can you list some more details about any other parts that you had to buy complete the system? Thanks!!

The only wiring that came with the Painless kit was what is needed to switch the relay. So all the actual battery cables you'll have to make, I used some welding cable that I had laying around my shop. You can pick up crimp on copper lugs from welding supply stores.

Supply's:
8-10 copper lugs
5-6' welding cable
4' of 2" angle iron for the tray
6" of 1"x3/16 for a mount for the steering reservoir
14' of 3/8" wire loom to cover the Painless kit
Electrical tape
Also need the hose to relocate the steering reservoir
That list should complete what I used. Other than just some random nuts and bolts to mount the battery tray and the steering reservoir.

Last edited:

05nissanXterra

Observer
How much stuff did you have to move to make it all fit.

The only thing that is required to move is the steering reservoir. I used ruffly 1.5' of each hose, the main feed hose is a odd size but it mathematically is works out to be 5/8", and I believe the return is just a 3/8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles