Custom M416 style build questions - axles/springs

maddawg2012

Observer
For those of you who have either changed out the axle on a M416 or build a custom frame based on the M416, what is the length of the axle you choose?

I know there are factors in this, but I'm sure there is going to be some common sizes that are chosen. I have a 2009 JKU with 33x12.5x15 tires and rims. I want to keep the basic same track, but also don't want to limit myself to this specific tire size as I may go 35's on 17 or whatever.

So, based on current builds, what is a good size to consider? Also, spring size? I'm still reading, but not sure how to size them up.

Thanks fro your input.

JPNCA

Adventurer
I have 33x12.50's on my 416
I replace my axle but used the same length ( I forget the measurement. I just took in my 416 axle and had them match it )
The only difference is the wheel offset
It tracks about 3" to the inside at full lock with our TJ
Hope it helps a little

Flashole

Adventurer
I went back with a 57" axle. Probably could have gone 2" shorter and been just fine. Running 15x8s with 3.75" of backspacing.

maddawg2012

Observer
Thanks for the comments fellas, gives me a reference to go by. So the Stock M416 is 57" face to face. Seems based on that I should be okay with room to upgrade to 35's. If I wanted to match my JKU track then I would obviously need a wider axle. 65" I think. If I did that then I would need to widen my trailer. Which I guess is doable. Any drawbacks to it being wider?

One question on the wheels. Typical sizing is as follows. 15x5.5x8 or 15x5.5x10 etc... what is the third number mean and how does the equate to tire purchase. Would a 15X8 be good for a 33x12.5x15 ?

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what wheels to buy for the trailer since I don't know what is on my jeep. There not stock but are 15" in size. I think there Pro-Comp but not sure. I'd share a photo, but don't have a good angle or close-up to share.

Last edited:

Flashole

Adventurer
Not sure what you mean by "third number" I'm guessing that you are referring to the lug pattern....

I run 15x8 wheels with 33x12.5" tires on my Jeep. 15x10" wheels will work too, but the extra width of the wheel gives you less tire buldge. And from what I hear, can more easily become un-beaded when the tires are aired down for wheeling.

57" axle should be enough to go to 35's. I personally wouldn't want to go any wider than that. The extra width gives stability, but also makes it harder to drag it through tight spaces. Plus, the wider you go with the axle, the wider you have to go with fenders and such.

ETA.....Pg. 8 of my build thread gives a pretty good view of what a 57" axle looks like with 33x10.5" tires. The wheels are 15x8" with 3.75" of backspacing.

Last edited:

maddawg2012

Observer
Ah ok, the number makes sense now. Its the depth of the overall wheel. 15 is the dia. and 8 is the depth and 3.75 is the offset of the face.

I was re-reading your thread build and think maybe 55 or 56 in axle might work even with a 35" tire offset 3.75. I'm not committing anything yet until I get my wheels which I think are going to be Series 98 Rock Crawler - Gloss Black Monster Mod. as thesese seem to be what I have now.

JeepSWAG

What I would do, place the wheels and tires where 'll want them, in relation to the trailer. Then measure mounting face to mounting face to each rim. This will be your hub face to hub face measurement and your axle build can take it from there.

Flashole

Adventurer
What I would do, place the wheels and tires where 'll want them, in relation to the trailer. Then measure mounting face to mounting face to each rim. This will be your hub face to hub face measurement and your axle build can take it from there.

If you have this ability, this is absolutely the best way to do it. I didn't have the wheels and tires when I ordered my axle, so I had to ask questions and take an educated guess. I am perfectly happy with 57" as it doesn't look to wide for the trailer, yet it's wide enough for nearly any set-up someone might want to run on it. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a 56", or possibly even a 55" just to get the tires up under the fenders a little more. But, if I keep the trailer, I'll eventually replace the fenders with wider ones anyway, so it's really a non issue. Plus, the extra width makes me feel a little more secure when that thing bounces around when running it empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz