Project: Beachcomber

Adventuro-Us

This is my new project, a 23 foot Coachman Catalina. I bought this at an auction as a flood vehicle on the cheap. It had the standard leaky roof syndrome. This build will be primarily for boon-dock camping for a family of four.

Beginning assessment is the rear portion of the roof needs to be removed and inspected, floor in the rear corner is soft, and will need to be replaced. The majority of the interior is in great shape. The fridge works great as well as the stove, oven and microwave...although they will be going for newer ones.

The major goals are to take care of any wet wood, reseal the roof, re-insulate, upgrade all appliances and electronics, over-sized tanks, 2 300 watt solar panels if there is enough room on the roof! Raise the bed to increase storage capacity underneath, flip the axles for more ground clearance, new exterior paint.

Now this wont be a trailer that I can drag up Lions Back or anything....but it will definitely take us to some amazing places!

Heres the starting pics:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I had a 95. bought it brand new, junked last year because of the same leaks that just took its toll on the camper, do your self a favor and pull the fromt window and reseal it, thats where most of my probems started with mine.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I agree on the front window. If possible just do away with it. seal it up.

If the roof is solid, not rotting, you can buy a rubber top for it. Not that expensive, It is what is on all the new RV's now. Replace the whole roof with it. It will end the leaks for sure.

Nice project.

Adventuro-Us

Thanks for the input truck mechanic, actually the front window doesn't leak at all on this trailer. It was the rear roof. Skersfan, this trailer actually had the roof covering that you are talking about, rolled EPDM. I dont like this stuff very much, once it gets a tear it can only be patched. The rolled on type can just be re-rolled, and thats what I will use. Thanks for the input!

Adventuro-Us

Worked on some teardown, roof is smoked. Had some leaking in the back corners and signs of previous, not so good repairs. Some of the rafters had been doubled up without removing the rotted ones, windows installed with drywall screws and epic amounts of silicone and mystery sealer everywhere!

Hack Job insulation, and this foam ABSORBS water, dont use it for reapairs to your trailer!

Somehow the wall insulation was pushed UP instead of down?

The roof had rolled EPDM on it, I think this stuff is junk.

Pulled off the bottom siding to check on the status of the flooring and base plates

Rear floor removed

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It looks to old to have the rubber roof, and I do not see the trim seal around it on the sides or front. I think we are talking about two different products.

But the stuff can tear, I put it on one of my expedition trailers and took it off. Have it on my fifth wheel of 7 years and it has never leaked anywhere, but you have to seal the AC and vent edges with special rubber sealant. I do that every fall. But it designed to be walked on. I snagged mine on a very low dead limb.

Looks like you have enough to keep you busy for awhile. Have a ball!!!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Since you have to tear it apart any way and you are working with wood......This would make a great beach house.

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 16
  • maximus-extreme-tiny-houses-interior-4.jpg
    maximus-extreme-tiny-houses-interior-4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14

Adventuro-Us

Youwillforget, Ill admit it is nice to have a shop to work out of, and I will tell you..the forklift is the best purchase I have made by far!

Mark, I think that may be a little more difficult to haul down the beach, it looks a tad on the heavy side!

Skersfan, Im pretty certain it is rubber roof, peals off in one sheet, and it is nice and flat. I was surprised to see that the adhesive underneath was still quite tacky. I wish I knew what product it was, it seems very good. I actually think that EPDM is a good product, especially for people who keep their trailers on the road or at a campground. I am more prone to boondock camp and go exploring, leaving me vulnerable to low hanging branches and such, which would destroy rolled EPDM in a heart beat. There is a roll on EPDM called Liquid Roof that I am going to try, I am looking at it because it is very pliable and should be more resistant to damage. I have used HENGS in the past and it worked great, but isnt as thick as what Im looking for. To sum it up, Im just trying out some new products to see what works the best for my applications. Ill be sure to give some input on what I find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior