Chevy wins another truck comparison test

haven

Expedition Leader
The Chevrolet Silverado, redesigned for 2014, has won another truck comparison test. This time, Car&Driver editors evaluated current pickups loaded with all the goodies, to the tune of $50K sticker prices. The 2014 Silverado easily out-scored the Ford F150 Lariat with Ecoboost V6 and the Ram Longhorn V8.
http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...013-ram-1500-laramie-longhorn-comparison-test

Random notes: All trucks averaged 13 mpg during the test. The Ram won the test last time. Ford is due to update the F150 in 2015, so they may return to the top of the heap in a year or so.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Interesting comparison...
The fuel economy numbers are absolutely dismal tho. I average just under 13 mpg out of my modified '79 Scout. It only comes out to either tow the camper or go 4 wheeling never just to drive cross country.
I do not have the power of these new engines (260HP/355TQ)but still....
What happened to the manufacturers claims of 20+ on the highway? Must mean city mpg is about 6.
They definitely ride and drive nicer tho...
Darrell

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I can only speak for the Chevy, but the new engine's cylinder deactivation means that the differential between highway/steady speed MPG and in town MPG is going to be bigger than usual.

I don't really understand the horsepower race... I have never been in a situation where my 318 V8 felt underpowered. Same with the 4.2 in the Range Rover.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'd guess that the fuel economy is over the entire test, much of which is WOT launches and hot rodding because they're not paying for gas, and they're "evaluating" performance. If you drive your truck like you're a C&D tester most of the time, you'll get similarly poor mileage. If you drive reasonably, I think you'll find that they're all capable of much closer to 20mpg on average these days.
C

madmax718

Explorer
The cylinder deactivation on the chevy does work, but you have to really drive like miss daisy. any aggressive driving will make you loose 5-10, as experienced by my rental suburban.

edit: thats 5-10mpg, not 5-10 percent.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I'd guess that the fuel economy is over the entire test, much of which is WOT launches and hot rodding because they're not paying for gas, and they're "evaluating" performance. If you drive your truck like you're a C&D tester most of the time, you'll get similarly poor mileage. If you drive reasonably, I think you'll find that they're all capable of much closer to 20mpg on average these days.
C

The new generation (as found in 2014 Silverado and 2015 Suburban) is a bit less sensitive. It can actually accelerate a bit before you need all 8 cylinders.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
C

True they might be driving them pretty hard. Towing and low range work uses the fuel pretty good as well. On the Fuelly website the '14 Sierra seems to be averaging just under 20...doesn't give a breakdown by engine tho.
Darrell

Clutch

<---Pass
Think they're just splitting hairs anymore, they are all good now-a-days.

Can't wait to test drive the Ram 1500 oil burner...plus the GM midsize twins are supposed to get a diesel. Future looks bright.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
They're all sitting on the ground anymore with smallish P-rqted tires. What happens to mpg's with a slight lift and some decent tires?

SARguru

Observer
Last year i did a 15000km road trip taking me into west and southwest USA in my 2010 chev suburban, truck is stock and for the trip i had a 21 cubic foot yakima roof box with 78in bars on roof and 2 mountain bikes on a hitch rack. I was going to be climbing, snowboarding, moubtain biking and camping for most of the 7 weeks so also had tenting and campjng gear in other words not traveling light. Truck averaged 13 km/100l (18mpg) which i think was quite good in the conditions. Previously i have a 2004 chev sub and with the 2010 i get an extra 300kms (180mi) per tank.

Im very happy with the active fuel managment system i dont drive like its subday nor do i drive like an idiot, i tend to stock just above the posted limit on highway.

Nic

Scoutn79

Adventurer
They're all sitting on the ground anymore with smallish P-rqted tires. What happens to mpg's with a slight lift and some decent tires?

Tire type and tread design has a big play in the MPG equation
When I went from BFG C rated 33x9.50x15 all terrains to BFG C rated 33x12.50x15 mud terrains I lost 1 MPG.All I did was change width and tread thus increasing rolling resistance not leverage.

Darrell

Mountaineer

Am I the only one that thinks the new Guberment Motors trucks look cheap and ugly. Square wheel wells with plastic trim going around them?! Really???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles