The Woodsy Bit: Adventures of an '88 Phoenix

IMG_0452.jpgNice work! Was the framing around the door still solid? Will have to remember Emmet Door when it gets to that time. Back in the states and just picked up my "new to me" popup. Will be listing my old home soon.....

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
Why, thank you muchly! Yes, the plywood around the door hole was in fine shape for a 26 year old camper. If you meant the actual aluminum door frame, well, I'd call it so/so. Most of the corner welds are intact. Something happened to this camper at some point in the past, and the very bottom angle has some odd damage. I can't figure out what happened - it looks like it fell out of the back of the truck on it's A55, with the cabover pointed at the sky or something. That said, the PO had some good quality refurb work done, and the overall structure looks good still.

I like both rigs! What is that new one, a FWC Fleet? Lets see some photos - start your build thread, man! I bet that Tundra hardly knows it's back there...

Last edited:
The camper is a 2007 All Terrain Camper Panther on a 2006 Tundra. I just purchased that combo last week. In the background is a 2009 Eagle Cap 995 on a 2008 Ford F450. Both rigs handle their campers well. Plenty of power and braking. Will start a build thread soon on the popup. I need to clean up and unload the Ford to put it on the market in the following weeks. I'll be sad to see it go. Been full/part-time living in it the past 4 years.

Yes, I was asking about the aluminum around the camper door. Were the hinges and door sagging or was it the actual framing of the camper sagging or bending? Reading your previous post sounds like the framing was tweaked at some point but still solid in structure.

Keep it coming!

I just went back to look at your pics. Question for you. Looks like your camper door opening is framed in wood and not aluminum? The actual door is hung on it's own aluminum frame. Is that right??

subterran

Adventurer
Yessir - Wood. The whole camper is wooden, hence the name 'Woody'. It was the door that was sagging - there was no real structural damage to the wood / frame. Matterfact, It's prolly still good and square, even if the door isn't.. Yes, the door is pre-hung in it's own Aluminum frame (both are). The door frame provides a good measure of additional rigidity / support to the whole rear structure.

Nice ATC. Someday I'll have an aluminum-framed camper. Not that we're having a bad time with this one. It's sure easy to slap screws in anywhere you like and get good structural support for anything you want to add on, instead of having to find a structural support like you (must) have to do with an aluminum-framed one. Note to self: Make sure it's built out like you want it when the time comes, LOL!

Looking forward to your interior photos. Good luck with the sale, and welcome back to Obamaville!

subterran

Adventurer
East Tennesee 4x4 camping - Cherokee NF

This weekend was very temperate, and it's that strange time of year in the mountains where there are not enough leaves on the trees to shade out the sun, so it was pretty hot. In a months time, the same temperature and sun will feel quite different under the hickories, oaks and poplars. It was a great weekend to be out, and we were able to ferret out a remote campsite, right on a nice creek. We had to saw several logs from across the road. It looks like someone made moonshine here in the seventies, there is still some suspicious junk around here and there, but not many folks have visited since. We broke up our fire ring, and buried the ash - you'd never know anyone had camped there, let alone in a TC..

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

We grilled Prime Rib over hot coals shovelled out of the fire pit, now that's roughing it, man. I am cooking on my steel table / hitch carrier mod. When we're travelling it serves as a step, and small hitch-hauler for firewood. When we get to camp, I can take it off add the legs on, and cook standing up. I bought the all steel table which is made for dutch oven cooking from Amazon, and had the hitch parts welded on at a local welding shop. Not a bad deal, and it makes a serviceable beer holder, too.

hitch table.JPG image.jpg
firewood.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
Chapter 11: Battery Combiner Charging System

One thing I have learned is that solar is iffy in the south. You are always camped under trees, which cuts into your power production mightily. Giving your battery the abilty to be charged from the truck is a beautiful thing, especially in conjunction with a solar system. Theoretically, when you're parked, you will get a little charge from the solar panels, and when you're running, you are charging. Also, when the camper is stored or parked, the solar system will be working. All in unison, the battery should be topping up all the time. Plus, it's smug to think that while I'm in the grocery store buying beers and burger meat, out in the parking lot my solar panel is working hard enough to hold up my fridge with enough surplus to be banking a little extra energy. Well, the solar panel will come later, but for now we can start with the Battery Combiner system.

I actually have a 3 battery system in my truck. There's the truck's own battery, then I have a little 35 AH AGM battery, also mounted under the hood, and then there is the camper's battery. The 35 ah battery is for camping in the truck without the camper. I have 12v sockets run from the 35 AH battery into the passenger side extra cab, through a factory-provided grommett hole, and then on back to another socket in the truck bed. This is for my Dometic CF-18. The CF-18 is a conventional cooler style, top opening 12v compressor fridge I've had for a few years. I can run it inside the cab, or in the bed.

Battery Combiner.jpg CF-18_22pr.jpg
Anderson_powerpole.JPG

I bought a Magnum Power Smart Battery Combiner to control charging of the extra batteries. It works like this: It's connected to the truck's battery with a #12 wire. I have all of my stuff wired 2-wire style. I don't trust chassis ground. The combiner is also connected to the 35AH battery. When the truck is running, the combiner senses the voltage, and when it reaches a preset point (about 13.2v) it combines the batteries together, thus charging the secondary battery. When the truck is shut off, it again senses the voltage drop, and disconnects the two batteries, thus isolating the two systems. When it came time to add the camper's battery to the mix, I just cut off the 12v plug I had running to the bed (#12 wire), and installed some Anderson Powerpole connectors to the end. Also to the end of the 12v socket (so I can put it back on) and ran a #12 wire to the camper battery (an 85AH deep cycle, by the way). Now, after I back under the camper, hook up the chains, and plug in the connectors, I'm off with my alternator charging all 3 batteries at once. If I "space out' and forget to disconnect the combiner wires when I take the camper off, no worries, the Anderson connector detaches gracefully. Golden.

Now, geeks might call me out on a few things, like #12 wire being too small, voltage loss, combining 2 battery types etc. etc. but at the end of the day it's working pretty well. The Magnum system charges the little 35AH battery to 14.1V, but voltage loss in the 18 feet of #12 wire to the camper battery drops to around 13.2. I'll point out that it's important that you charge your battery with a good quality 3 stage charger every so often, to about 14.2 volts so it will last longer. Other than that, it's a camper for personal enjoyment, not an ICBM that we rely on to defend our United States. And batteries are cheap enough that I won't fret about replacing them every 4 years or so.

Last edited:

jeff power

Very nice build, its soooo hard to find a decent TC down here, you definitely got very lucky. BTW I'm definitely going to "steel" your table idea! That's excellent.

Wish me luck in my search for a TC! I'm hoping to find something like yours.

jeff power

Also Ive got a couple questions, is the bottom part of the camper made from wood framing, or is it one solid piece of plywood? You said sparse framing in the roof, does it run side to side or front to back, and is there a slight curve in the roof like the aluminum framed roofs? How does it feel as far as sturdiness, is stiff or flimsy?

Im curious about construction as I may just end up building my own. I have a lot of wood working experience, and a nicely setup shop.

subterran

Adventurer
Hi Jeff!
Thanks alot for reading my rants - I'm glad you like the camper. We're pretty fond of it too. I do hope you can find what you're looking for. I was going to suggest the Fleet in Tampa that's listed in the For Sale section here, but I see you're on that already. I understand about the "prohibitive cost". I share the sentiment.

As for our camper, Woody: Yes, the bottom part is one sheet of plywood. I can see little evidence of actual construction method, but my guess would be glued joints and air-nailer. It must be pretty durable though, because the camper has successfully withstood 26 years of having the crap beat out of it, probably falling out of the back of a truck (I can't prove that, but evidence suggests..) and there are no gaps, so whatever they did, I'm happy. Plus, I still have provision area to re-enforce everything with screws when the time comes. When I do, I will probably use some thin 1/8" x 2" aluminum angle along both bottom seams to properly support the floor. I suggest you do the same, if you are going to build one yourself. I will be glad to send you measurements and photos if you need them. If you have the know-how and the shop, I say: Go for it, man!

The best I can tell about roof construction is a simple frame (probably 2x2) with 4 'rafters'. That's a guess - I only drilled where I had to, LOL!

I will add one opinion about design, though - I would be much less happy if the roof did not pop all the way up on all sides. I have seen a few home-builts here, and I can imagine how the feeling of 'much less space' would feel from having a hinge in the front, and a wedge-shaped tent.

Other than that, you can certainly get all the parts you need for the build on the interwebs. I hope you'll post your project, if you decide to undertake it.

I'll keep my eye open around here for you, maybe something will 'Pop up'! Tell me what truck you want to fit.

Here's a lead to get you started:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/4395018081.html

Last edited:

jeff power

My trucks an old Long Bed F250 diesel. We're planning on a cross country trip in September, so I have some time to wait. I really have my heart set on an FWC style popup, but as we get closer to September Ill probably settle for a lesser model, or just build one, if I can find the time.

So the walls are solid plywood, not just the tub? That's strange, is it heavy? What about insulation?

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
If I understand your question correctly, yes. The whole camper is plywood. There is no insulation. The construction is: Aluminum outer siding, plywood. If the surface is exposed to the interior, then there is a 1/4" layer of panelling board. The camper weighs about 800-900 lbs. That's a guess. Strange why? You've never seen a wooden FWC knockoff before? LOL.

I will not deny that the aluminum-framed campers are more durable, and lighter, but the wood has some advantages too - like I do not have the 'under bed condensation' issue, I can put screws anywhere I like and get support, and the wood actually has better insulation properties than the aluminum would (excluding the insulation, of course). Sure, I wish mine were aluminum, but it is what it is, and I'm happy with it - and it cost orders of magnitude less..

jeff power

Yep that's exactly what I was asking. Is it 3/4" thick or 1"

Actually Ive not seen an FWC plywood knockoff. I kicked the idea around but was concerned with weight, and more importantly the cantilever for the bed. 900lbs would be nothing for my truck. I may have to explore this idea further, hmmm. Thanks for answering my questions, it definitely helps.

subterran

Adventurer
It's 1 inch thick. You're correct about the catalever in the cabover. The PO re-enforced mine with 2x4 lumber. It must have sagged. You should fatten yours up, too. Also, dont underestimate the value of under-bed storage. Wish I had a bit more. Best of luck, sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94