Wiring: Where did you pass wires through the firewall???

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Hey gang,

I need to install a switch for lights tonight or tomorrow morning. Things seem pretty tightly packed at the firewall. Where did you find a spot to pass wires through to the engine bay? If you've got a pic, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance! :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I usually use an icepick style 12v tester to poke a hole in an existing grommet (or make an existing hole bigger) and run it through there. Since there's usually other wires (or maybe a heater control cable) there, you also have something to zip tie the new wire to.

l_232f-outlined.jpg

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Damn, I was hoping for the driver's side, but that may have to do! Do you recall how much interior plastic had to be removed at the bottom of the dash to get to the wire/hole? How about on the engine side?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
No removal on the engine side. Inside the cabin you remove the black plastic foot vent and beige side foot-well cover. Takes less than a minuet to remove both. The hole is right there, prolly the easiest way to route anything inside the cab. I just ran 4gauge wire for the amp over the weekend. Took me no more than 10 min to route it all the way to the back of the truck.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
No removal on the engine side. Inside the cabin you remove the black plastic foot vent and beige side foot-well cover. Takes less than a minuet to remove both. The hole is right there, prolly the easiest way to route anything inside the cab. I just ran 4gauge wire for the amp over the weekend. Took me no more than 10 min to route it all the way to the back of the truck.

Awesome! I will do this bright and early before hitting the road to the high sierras. :) Thanks man!

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I recommend routing from the inside the cab out to the firewall. Its much easier. The way i did mine was I tapes whatever wire I was running to a tip of a long flat head screwdriver and stuck it through the hole. Once its thought just pull whatever length you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles