Toyota Tundra next in line for Cummins V8 diesel?

haven

Expedition Leader
Edmunds.com is reporting that Toyota is looking at the Cummins V8 diesel for the next Tundra. Cummins previously said they had enough capacity at their engine plant to supply Nissan (for the Titan pickup) and one more manufacturer.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyota-eyes-cummins-diesel-engine-for-tundra.html

This would be an interesting development, since Toyota makes a 4.5L V8 diesel of its own for use in the Land Cruiser 200 and Land Cruiser 78/79. The Toyota twin turbo 4.5L diesel produces about 480 ft lb of torque, or about 70 ft lb less than the 5.0L Cummins turbo V8 diesel. In addition to the power advantage, the Cummins V8 will be manufactured in Indiana. So it will be relatively easy to ship the engines to San Antonio, where the Tundra is made. The Toyota V8 diesel engines are made in Japan.

yossarian19

Observer
Sounds good. I wonder how it will stack up against the ram 1500 diesel , 2500 ctd, etc. Love the Toyota build quality and it sounds like a great 1/2 to 3/4 compromise truck

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Clutch

<---Pass
Rather have the Made in Japan diesel. If they are going to do it.

The 70 less torque can easily be made up with some tuning.

tyler93

Observer
I would buy it in a heartbeat. Sounds like Nissan is doing the v8 cummins. If Toyota drags their feet I might find myself in a Titan. I'm liking the current options. I have been seeing a number of oilfield workers here in Wyoming switch from their diesel 3/4 tons back to gasser half tons recently. It's a combination of several factors. Diesel fuel economy has been stifled by epa emission mandates. The diesel sticker shock at purchase. High maintenance also. The new crop of gasser half ton's are far advanced from their predecessor's. Direct Injection is great. Going diesel in the half ton market sounds appealing. I hope Toyota doesn't get cold feet.

EMrider

Explorer
It's only a $2750 upgrade for the Diesel engine in the Ram 1500 diesel that's coming out this year

If that is the cost differential then the diesel option should be quite popular.

I would be curious to know what percent of total 1500 production in 2014 will have the diesel motor. Past diesel offerings seemed to be relatively scarce, at least initially.

R

BurbanAZ

Explorer
that would be a nice option. Im amazed that the upgrade cost is only 2750. Definitely makes it more worth it even after u take into account higher fuel prices and maint cost.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I am still not sure it is worth the cost unless you are keeping it to awhile. The numbers for torque and horsepower are only a little better then all the current 1/2 tons gas motors. So why should I pay extra for a diesel motor the maintenance and fuel to go with to get barely any extra power.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I've been wrong before, but I don't see it happening. I and many others have had this discussion many, many times with higher ups in Toyota that say it won't happen in the states.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I'll wait and see what happens...

All of this discussion about a V8 diesel is interesting to say the least. Currently, I drive an 'expo'd' out 2011 Tundra. I took a recent trip out to NM and I averaged 14.6 mpgs heading out. Coming back, I towed an 5'x8' trailer (weighed 3750 lbs + cargo) and I averaged 12.7 mpgs. All that being said, I am very pleased with my current performance. I believe my vehicle to be the perfect platform for my current chapter in life...Previously, I drove a 3rd generation 4runner that averaged 14.2 mpgs on the highway. Towing with my 4runner was significantly worse ~ far worse than 12.7, while barely able to traverse some 7% incline grades in northern Arkansas...Now I have plenty of power, room and comfort.

**​

My next project is to re-gear to 4.88s to take more advantage of the 6th gear on the highway. If I can improve on my existing mpg numbers, I will sit tight for now.

Regards,

BWJ

Clutch

<---Pass
I would buy it in a heartbeat. Sounds like Nissan is doing the v8 cummins. If Toyota drags their feet I might find myself in a Titan. I'm liking the current options. I have been seeing a number of oilfield workers here in Wyoming switch from their diesel 3/4 tons back to gasser half tons recently. It's a combination of several factors. Diesel fuel economy has been stifled by epa emission mandates. The diesel sticker shock at purchase. High maintenance also. The new crop of gasser half ton's are far advanced from their predecessor's. Direct Injection is great. Going diesel in the half ton market sounds appealing. I hope Toyota doesn't get cold feet.

I see some contradiction in your statements. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I've been wrong before, but I don't see it happening. I and many others have had this discussion many, many times with higher ups in Toyota that say it won't happen in the states.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I dunno, seems Toyota has given up on the full size truck segment. I would assume Hell would freeze over before we saw a new passenger vehicle Toyota diesel in the US.

Though the Almanac is predicting a pretty cold winter... :D

yossarian19

Observer
I've always thought maintenance was cheaper with a diesel..? No ignition system, for one thing, and better mileage

Clutch

<---Pass
I've always thought maintenance was cheaper with a diesel..? No ignition system, for one thing, and better mileage

Not necessarily, at least with modern complex diesels.

$1000 fuel pump, $3000+ injectors, high buy in cost $7-8000 over a gas engine (3/4-1 Tons that is) , mileage isn't that much better to make up for the price difference over gas. Diesel fuel cost more than gas. I think that 1/2 ton $2700 up-charge is wrong that was posted earlier in the thread, going to be more like $4000, perhaps more...take the Grand Cherokee for an example...you can't get the oil burner in a stripped down model. HAVE to buy a package to get it...which drives up buy-in cost. Think it is closer to $6000 more. (have to check my numbers on that one, feeling too lazy right now)

If you need gobs of torque for towing go with a diesel...if not, you're better saving your money and buying a gasser. Over-all cost of ownership will be less with a gas vehicle. A diesel may get slightly better mileage, but you're not gonna save any money.

Go on fuelly, compare the mpg between the diesel Hiluxes and our gasser Tacomas....it isn't that much better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior