Guys with Full Sized 1-Tons....The big boy Full Sizers

98dango

Expedition Leader
Good news, especially considering yours is stock a coursing to your sig. I'd at least have 37" mud grips and a winch... ARBs front and back are on the wish list.

I'm not stock any more. I have 35 37 and 39 all depending on the need. Warn 12000 up front and 9000 out back just in case.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It sounds like you have what you need already. The biggest limiting factor is width, and you won't be changing that. With the coils on your '08, you have decent turning radius, and good ground clearance. Seems like a "run what ya brung" type situation. You best post some pics of it. And where exactly is "United States" ? Trails in the Northwest are way tighter than cornfields in Nebraska!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have the F-150, stock 4x4, it takes me anywhere I want to go in these Ozark hills, through pine forests in La., forest roads, plains of Texas and the SW hills. I have no desire to rock crawl through Mohab. Comes down to your intended use, where do you really want to go? Wonder why I've been using the 150 more than the Forrester? Comfort, visibility, power, better GC, 4x4 when needed, cargo capacity and the stereo is better too. I love my Forrester, but I seem to be getting in the truck to go to the store.

Before I go into the unknown, I ask locals, get a little terrain intelligence. I found years ago to call the volunteer fire dept and ask around there. The local Smokey the Bear guys usually know the area and what can make it through an area. I don't need to go where firefighters can't go or where park rangers can't get to and these officials use trucks too. Define your intended use, make some calls, you should get a better idea of what you really need. :)

98dango

Expedition Leader
I still crawl in moab took a bone stock plus 180k. last 80k was my brother inlaw he got the truck at 15 and sold it to me at 17. It did part of the rim trail till my wife got uncomfortable and all of cane creek no new dents. It dose live on 35" rubber and has been known to barrow parts from my crawler.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
98dango... I like you style man

I want people to look and say..what the hell is that guy doin here lol.

Part of me wants another truck because I don't want to mess my king ranch up... Although it is very very far from perfect

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I think you're worrying yourself over nothing. Yes, it's a long truck, and you MAY encounter a situation where it causes you a problem. But those situations will be few and far between, and you'll manage somehow. You're still going to be shorter than most of the guys with smaller trucks and an expedition trailer. I use trucks with 107" and 118" wheelbases, along with a trailer that adds another 10+ feet, and I have yet to encounter a situation where I was unable to turn around, even here in the dense forests of the NW. Not always simple, but doable.

I also have a one-ton dually that I've taken into some ugly places. Sometimes a tight squeeze due to the rear fenders, but I just carefully pick and choose where I go. If I were going to turn it into an expedition truck, I would convert it to SRW and hit the trails.

As somebody above already asked, where is "United States?" Is there some reason you don't want us to know where you are? It sometimes helps in answering your questions if we know your location.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I live in houston but in pursuing a dream job in duluth, mn right now... My travels will be US based off the get go

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
You should keep the truck, but you could get a short bed or flat bed and just slide the rear axle forward. Keep the nice 4 doors I say. What is a flip PAC?

Erik N

Adventurer
I live in houston but in pursuing a dream job in duluth, mn right now... My travels will be US based off the get go

I have lived in many places. Texas, on average, owns the biggest vehicles of any of them, anywhere.

Trails in TX can be traversed with the biggest frickken rig you can find. That's what the locals used to get there. Just make sure it has smokestacks.

As they say in these parts, go big or go home. /end rant

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I want to setup a 2008 CCLB F350 single wheel, diesel - Flip pac, battery/solar, fridge, air, few other essentials, maybe heat. I don't think I'll be roaming the world with it, but wouldn't mind being able to do weeks if I wanted too.

One of my big concerns is I love wheeling/offroading... I'm not scared to point that 1-ton in directions most people probably wouldn't, but I don't want to be physically limited just to shear size.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it, the same with philosophy. So here goes:

Well Grasshopper, do you want to go "wheelin' " or on an "expedition?" They are close, but not the same. If 4x4 is your goal, then you will probably be happier with a Jeep/Toyota/etc. and a tent. I would argue that "expedition" is another word for "tourism" with the following qualifications:

-- The trip is longer, weeks or months, rather than days.

-- The target is back woods, back roads, and, perhaps, overseas in countries will unpaved roads.

-- Mud/rocks/etc. are obstacles to be overcome, but not the purpose of the trip.

-- You want the vehicle to support your living with things like water, stove, toilet, sleeping space. This might range from a platform in the back of a covered pickup, to a roof top tent, to a full on camper or motorhome. But this is in direct contrast to simply carrying an pitching a tent.

Those of us who lean to the tourism side, favor the larger vehicles for the greater living comfort on an extended trip. Those who lean to the 4x4 side of the equation will favor the smaller, more modified vehicle and a tent.

Only you can decide, but there is no "wrong" answer.

Safe travels!

Last edited:

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I have a CCSB SRW F350 with the 6.7L. I love the truck and I haven't had any problem with it off road yet, but all of my offroad adventures in it have been getting too and from workover rigs in ND, WY, CO, KS, UT, and NM. So I haven't been anywhere that they couldn't get a rig into. I could see how I would have issues getting into the mountains on trails with a lot of timber, but I will just avoid those trails. Honestly the biggest problem I've found is trying to park the beast in town. Trying to find a parking garage or parallel parking spot for it in Down Town Denver was one of the most aggravating things I've had to do. Otherwise the truck has been faultless in the 18k miles and 2.5 months that I've owned it.

mkitchen

Explorer
Free advice is worth what you pay for it, the same with philosophy. So here goes:

Well Grasshopper, do you want to go "wheelin' " or on an "expedition." They are close, but not the same. If 4x4 is your goal, then you will probably be happier with a Jeep/Toyota/etc. and a tent. I would argue that "expedition" is another word for "tourism" with the following qualifications:

-- The trip is longer, weeks or months, rather than days.

-- The target is back woods, back roads, and, perhaps, overseas in countries will unpaved roads.

-- Mud/rocks/etc. are obstacles to be overcome, but not the purpose of the trip.

-- You want the vehicle to support your living with things like water, stove, toilet, sleeping space. This might range from a platform in the back of a covered pickup, to a roof top tent, to a full on camper or motorhome. But this is in direct contrast to simply carrying an pitching a tent.

Those of us who lean to the tourism side, favor the larger vehicles for the greater living comfort on an extended trip. Those who lean to the 4x4 side of the equation will favor the smaller, more modified vehicle and a tent.

Only you can decide, but there is no "wrong" answer.

Safe travels!

That is an excellent comparison and so very true. I tend to do both but I learn much more towards the tourism side.
Mikey

peneumbra

Explorer
I have a 1.5 ton 4x4 diesel regular cab with 10 foot flatbed, and i've never found it to be too large for anywhere I've wanted to go. I got it cheap as a cab/chassis on Ebay (ex type 6 brush truck), added stuff over time, and will eventually get it fully equipped (equipped for what? who knows...) The closest you could get to buying something like this new today would be an F-550, and the price would be stratospheric.

The coolest thing on my truck is of course the 5" chrome exhaust stack...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke