Guys with Full Sized 1-Tons....The big boy Full Sizers

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Do you guys ever regret running such a big truck?? I roam this site a lot and see jeeps, discos, ect. I'm wondering if I need to reconsider my truck before I start my build.

What's ya'll input?

I want to setup a 2008 CCLB F350 single wheel, diesel - Flip pac, battery/solar, fridge, air, few other essentials, maybe heat. I don't think I'll be roaming the world with it, but wouldn't mind being able to do weeks if I wanted too.

One of my big concerns is I love wheeling/offroading... I'm not scared to point that 1-ton in directions most people probably wouldn't, but I don't want to be physically limited just to shear size.

Anyway, just striking up some conversation, I don't think I could/want make my way down to a 1/2 ton truck, I'm a bit of a diesel nut

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
If I went smaller it would most likely be and extended cab shortbed f250 diesel

A pickup with a flip PAC has got to have a bout the same room as a van when closed and double the sleeping capacity when opened.

trailscape

Explorer
If I went smaller it would most likely be and extended cab shortbed f250 diesel

This is where I'm torn presently.. Keep fixing up and building my 02 Tundra or jump ship to a 3/4 ton. I think a larger truck would really limit where I travel off road but the additional payload would be useful if I want to upgrade to a real slide in camper later on.

redneck44

Adventurer
My B250 Ram van LWB was one of the most useful vehicles I've ever owned, camping MTB racing, touring, DD I used it for everything.
My Chevy C3500 was also a very useful vehicle but the extra 5' of hood up front just took up needless road space and was just a little more difficult as a DD.
Obviously both 2wd but I currently drive an RB44 4WD based on the Dodge B200 cab with a 2 1/2 ton capacity and its about 18' long the back is fitted with a double bed and a short bunk bed plus plenty of spare room for toys.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It sucks if you are on a single lane road and have to turn around. Better be good with your mirrors. So far I'm very happy with my truck.

bjm206

Adventurer
There will be places you cannot and should not go. In North America it is not such a big problem because there are so many full size vehicles. I have only run into a few places where I wanted to go but just did not think it was appropriate (Rubicon Trail being the most notable). Outside of North America bigger vehicles have a lot more issues because the trails are sized to the traffic and nobody has an F350.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
There will be places you cannot and should not go. In North America it is not such a big problem because there are so many full size vehicles. I have only run into a few places where I wanted to go but just did not think it was appropriate (Rubicon Trail being the most notable). Outside of North America bigger vehicles have a lot more issues because the trails are sized to the traffic and nobody has an F350.

+1. US and Canada, I don't regret a 1 ton at all. In fact it's the absolute best way to travel.
-
My little Jeeps couldn't tow jack, and an 8' bed is a ton of fun to load up for some camping. No to mention. My fullsize actually outperforms my Jeep YJ in many ways. It can back a sailboat trailer down a beach and far deeper into a lake than my Jeep ever could. And my trucks mostly stock. And my Jeep was hard to drive on dirt roads and snow. 2 places where a fullsize excels. I can't name anywhere I've gone recently, or wanted to go where the size of my truck was even close to an issue. Usually my truck is the vehical used to get hardcore offroad toys to the trail head. Usually boats, kayaks, motorcycles, and a random Jeep or two. I actually get to Jeep more often now, because I'm towing other peoples Jeeps on a trailer. 2 Jeeps and a DRZ400, good clean fun with a trailer and fullsize waiting if anyone breaks down.
-
For hardcore wheel'n I just unload my DRZ400 or CRF450r. Why waste a perfectly good truck or Jeep to some lame tight forest backroad.
-
And Pappa's right. Use your mirrors and learn from a real truck driver. IE: Allways back into a parking spot. It's easier getting out, and it'll keep you frosty at the whole backing up game. And for 1998+ Ford superduties, get the 2008+ Towing mirrors. They're absolutely bada$$ at spoting your back corners. And the mirrors will wack anything tight long before your body is at risk.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Let me ask this...

My rig WILL be a ford diesel. Does it make any sense to down size or buy another truck in a ECSB?

Trail wise and performance wise offroad am I missing/gain much between those rigs?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not really. Big diesels are great because you can lift them a little more (4" vs level kits) and use larger tires (35 vs 33) without the hit a gas engine takes on fuel ec. So you can also go a little longer without worrying about getting high centered. Still in hindsight, the 20v 6.8L Ford V10 is my favorite truck engine. I'm making do with a 5.4L. The biggest downfall to diesels is the weight of the engine and rear winch> front winch. all that weight up front makes them break through snow/ice/mud and sink in. A 5.4L Superduty will stomp a similarly equipped diesel offroad when the trail gets sinky.
-
And a F350 EXC LB with a Carli leveling kit and 33.5" tires is pretty mean. You can really drive over some stupid things if you're careful and not even get close to bottoming. A CC LB is hardly any worse. A reg cab long bed is practicly a wide Jeep. It'll tackle anything a JK can.
-
For a CC LB, I'd fab up some custom skid plates from the "drop" rack at you local steel yard. Being able to drag you belly Jeep style can also open up some trails you normally can't tackle. But it's excessive to really build a truck that much. The difference between driving and armored bottom truck and a stock truck is huge. A Stock Nissan Titan can do crazy things at stock ht., If you have a decent skid plate. And that trucks a ton lower than a Superduty.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I'm on a 4.5" and 37s right now.. Belly hieght is pretty good right now, but might be worth it to protect the transfer case and fuel tank better. That's a lot of steel tho! Haha

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Looking to tuck a few things tho... Shock mounts, sway bars (maybe) ect..

How's a 1-ton do without a rear sway bar??

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
One more thing... Always wanted to build a ************ regular cab... Sled pulls, dirty drags, street racer ect...

A flip pac could be modular between my cclb and rclb depending on who's going on what trip.

If only I found a money tree during one of these trips lol

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have a nice crew cab short box Ford f250 and I love it. I also own a build s10 rock crawler I have not driven in 2 years. I take my Ford every where I want to go.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Good news, especially considering yours is stock a coursing to your sig. I'd at least have 37" mud grips and a winch... ARBs front and back are on the wish list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94