Thread: My homebuilt RTW sidecar..

Default My homebuilt RTW sidecar..

This is the second rig I have built.The first was a Vstrom rig with lots of ground clearence and a straight axle/car tire.It worked great but the Vstrom had alot of elect issues and stranded me too many times.
    So I built this rig useing a 1982 Suzuki GS850G ( built proof and easy to fix ).
    I built everything except the tub,encluding the single sided swingarm.It has a 2,000# winch on it and carries 2 extra gallons of fuel.This winter the tub is coming off and a flatbed/box is going on.Also I will be reworking the suspension on the whole rig.I hope to take it RTW in the next 5 years.

There is a LONG build tread ADV titled
    The 12x12 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Congratulations on your build. It's very impressive and should serve you well. I had a GS850 and thought it was great.
    Mike Hiscox

2007/2012 custom Jeep Rubicon EarthRoamer motorhome
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    2003 Mercedes 2500 mid/tall Sprinter camper
    2006 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus Expedition Scooter
    1996/2002 Honda XR600R highly-modded
    1978 Honda CT90

It's my 4th GS850,I have found that they don 't do anything great but they do most things very well.!!!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

I like that swingarm and the disk brake. I though I was getting flash with a single disk on the front and nothing on the chair. Severe disk envy.

Mind you the old BM doesn't exactly scare the dyno. Most of the original horses have bolted leaving a few mangy pit ponies in their place.

Best of luck with the RTW. Feel free to get in touch when you are close to going as we usually have a couple of travelers staying here that can provide up to date advice.
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

I have not hooked up the hack disc yet,waiting for some extra $$$ for a 6' long SS brake line!!.

Mark Twain

That's amazing! Great condition! I had the 1000 GS, and loved it, dang that thing was quick in 82, rode it from Ft. Polk to Ft. Riley.

Now, did you say a home built sidecar? Man that's nice, looks factory, must be the attention to detail and great skills.

I think it looks professionally built. I have never rode or ridden in a sidecar, I think it would be a lot of fun. I bet it takes some getting used to though. Thanks for posting.

Ya there's a
    Pretty steep learning curve.You suceed or crash !!.hehehe
    I had never even sat in/on a sidecar before building one !!.

Mark Twain