Basic Tool List

ShearPin

Adventurer
Fat 50 & Nuts/Bolts

For tool storage I've found the Fat 50 sized ammo can a good size - water/dust proof, lockable etc.

On a related note, more often then not I've found myself wanting for just that right size nut or bolt. May come from running an old pile but I've often come across people over the years with lots of tools but no spare fastners. I keep two hardware store plastic containers (approx. 12x7) with adjustable compartments full off odds and ends nuts, bolts, cotter pins, plastic plugs...

Henry

david despain

Adventurer
On a related note, more often then not I've found myself wanting for just that right size nut or bolt. May come from running an old pile but I've often come across people over the years with lots of tools but no spare fastners. I keep two hardware store plastic containers (approx. 12x7) with adjustable compartments full off odds and ends nuts, bolts, cotter pins, plastic plugs...

oh yeah. what he said! somewhat unrelated but still the same; when ever i go on a road trip to fix a broke plane,wheather its just to get it out of there and back to a bigger shop or all the way done, i always take my miscelaneous parts bins. i have about 4 fishing tackle type plastic containers full of odd and ends i have accumulated over the years and while there isnt always exactly the right length of screw or bolt you want it will generally do the trick to get you home. as well there is all manner of things that if u drop or loose them or damage them or whatever you are done for that i carry in those cases. they have saved my bacon a number of times.

also a magnetic pick up tool and mechanical fingers can be lifesavers for a trailside repair. if u loose a part or hardware in the shop, no big deal just go get another one out of your box or benchstock or whatever. but if u loose something in the dirt you could be really screwed, and thats when it always seems to happen.

Last edited:

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
tool storage needed

anyone have an alternate [to Duluth TP & BucketBoss brands] favorite tool roll?

i have done a "search" but get bogged down reading the posts and really need to get a couple of these 'on order'. i am not partial to leather or velcro [although i can accept the latter].

thanks,

j

TJVach

Observer
I have been to Sears.com and they had two Mossy Oak Camo Wrench Rolls on sale for $2.97 so I grabbed 2 of them. They are pretty durable and hold the wrenches very well.

TeriAnn

Explorer

Fixings, AKA my nut & bolt kit

You can't carry every size and length. After loosing essential bolts that I did not have replacements for a few times I have put together an extensive "fixings kit" that fits into a container with lots of dividers. I have spent well over US$ 100 to fill the kit with four grade 8 versions of every bolt, nut and washer I can think of that is on my Land Rover. This includes special Land Rover lock tabs, leaf spring pack bolts and cotter pins.

bbClosed.JPG

Bolt box closed . The box has two levels of compartments

bbTopCompart.JPG

This is the top level that contains grade 8 nuts, lock washers, flat washers, fender washers, cottor pins (Including one that fits the scuttle vent) , assorted screws, hub washers and seals, hinge kit, tyre air nipples and such.

bbBottCompart.JPG

This is the bottom compartment which contains an assortment of grade 8 bolts, special Land Rover fixings, spare brake hose, electrical connectors, hose clamps, shock bushings, special leaf spring bolts, special fixings and assorted glues & goops.

And no I've never had to resort to duct tape.
I keep bailing wire around but have never had need for duct tape.

MossMan

Adventurer
Those are some great setups. I like the wrench rolls and the the bolt boxes. That would be a significant upgrade from my tool box and coffee cans. Off to the flea market.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Thanks for the great thread idea.

I have found that some of the larger tool kits available from Costco satisfy 80% of the required tools and also keep everything organized in the molded case.

Then I have another case for spares and another for specialty tools. Those kits are specific to the vehicles (I have one for the Jeep, Trooper, Tacoma) These are things like hub sockets, breaker bars, bolts and nuts, thread locking compound, saws, etc.

Costco is a great place to save a buck on tools and batteries, like Optima. I also got an aluminum floor jack there for a song. They even sell WS40 and duct tape. They sell the containers for all your extra tools as well.

Great suggestion Scott

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Various flat heads and Philips of differing lengths and thickness’
1 set 8mm to 24mm combo wrenches
1 set 8mm to 18mm ratcheting combo wrenches
1 extra 22/24mm wrench
1 set 8mm to 22mm 3/8” sockets
1 14” 3/8 ratchet
1 4” 3/8 ratchet
3 different pair of snap ring pliers
1 pair wire stripper/crimpers
1 1/2 breaker bar with extendable handle ( for big leverage )
1 small pair channel locks
1 large pair channel locks
1 small crescent wrench
1 large crescent wrench
1 utility knife
1 large pair of curve jaw vise grips
1 medium pair regular vise grips
1 small pair vise grips
1 large ball peen hammer
1 large torque wrench
1 4-way lug wrench
1 crow bar
1 deep 6-point 13/16 socket for lugs
1 54mm socket
various socket adapters and swivels
1 set of SAE sockets (in case I need to help out a domestic vehicle)
large c-clamp
tyre-pliers and tire spoon
set of files
1 small claw grabber retrieval tool
1 hi-lift
1 small bottle jack
1 hi-lift base
that should be most everything. I’m sure I missed a few things

on top of those tools

various lengths of heater hose and fuel line and vacuum line
spare belts
spare radiator hoses
spare u-joints
spare fluids
industrial tire patch kit
ARB tire plug kit
Duct tape
Sandpaper
Jumper cables
Zip ties
Lots of fuses
Lots of bulbs
Lots of electrical connections and shrink tube and wire
Spare gaskets and washers of all sorts
Lots of hose clamps
Funnel
Grease
Hand cleaner
Rags
Large pants and shirt to pull on over clothes if things get messy
Shovel
Spare fuel pump
Spare starter
Spare water pump
Spare ARB air line and splice
WD40
1 30k tow strap
1 20k tow strap
3 shackles
2 different compressors
1 Co2 tank
3’x4’ piece of carpet
Factory service manual
2 gallons of distilled water for the rig
large flashlight
large knife
2.5lb ABC fire extinguisher

I believe that’s most of it…

thallca

Observer
gjackson said:
All of my tools are in tool rolls and kept in a custom drawer system. Seems to work pretty well. Of course I have a Land Rover, so I have to carry more. . . :rolleyes:

God; don't I know it!
I have a pelican case filled with tools and in my truck at all times. You just never know what's going to break or fall off.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Very well organized.

TeriAnn said:
Fixings, AKA my nut & bolt kit

Now that's a very extensive and well though out kit. Job well done.
I may have to do something similar for my truck one of these days.
Cheers,
P

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Back in the days when my glass buggy was my only off road vehicle I realized that it would be exceptionally easy to carry tools that I didn't need. These vehicles are severely weight challenged. So I emptied it's tool box completely. Given that it is an owner built vehicle I was working on it fairly frequently. I made a rule that I could only use the tools in it's tool box. As the need for a tool arose I added just that tool to the kit. Seemed a simple way to make sure that I had exactly the tools I needed for any likely field repair w/o carrying tools that were excess.

With the 4x4's I make particularly sure that any special tools needed for field repairs are always on-board.

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
did you wait until something broke & you were caught without?

i sort of interpreted this link as 'preventive' measures - aka 'don't leave home without it".

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
No, normal maintenance on the vehicle + the on-going improvements combined with knowledge of the special tools only rarely needed but shouldn't be left at home was enough to field a reasonable tools set on the first trip out after my decision. One thing it forced was awareness of bolt head sizes & the need to re-use OE bolts or exact equivalent when ever possible.

An example of what I'm referring to would be that VW's tend to use the odd hex head sizes, so even sized wrenches & sockets don't have much calling & only a few got included. This also means that if you only can use a wrench on a particular bolt that you aren't also carrying that sized socket unless it is needed elsewhere.
Conversely, Asian built vehicles tend to use only even mm head sizes. (There is a conspiracy theory that this is to evenly wear out the tools of those who own both.)

Where this falls down is if you expect to be much help to another, dissimilar vehicle. You may or may not have the "normal" tool with you. However, I'll estimate that it easily cut the weight of the tool box in half.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94